Carrying water alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My solution for a low flow water faucet.

img_9784-jpg.947464

I havent cleaned the tank out yet but I was planning on using the RV standard "cup of bleach per gallon" and then flush out method.

Instructions from the tank manufacturer for sanitizing the tank:

wMW3TXIxUuSJoWP7zLIdqv5fvmNj_kBKqMcME2ic3BB8pbm6-awvvRFXp0kVKcBbYk2wBP74XfQGhT3mBQM0s30uUnz7uB-lZVpVPd2i1SNJhMAwHwMkN00xjFD8xeByYifXFP01zMfx5Wta-AXDASqz7cn33EeevlRhc0RRII_-h70QUcOAhdM0w0NEz0mq3yCbJLPxMcEvKaqdyCnHsWGoFjJcrVCstXZ7YywVaibQNNaLPLA_98L-ixpLCoSN7rvHKAC8SPZ4DcObRsn1VmyzKoDwBFZ6yTp7-ru_caLiH6As48sGUhvDn0XfuIDu9MJg_qxhoy5OrulkfhkXebSPrI41JoIoRbZUNG3gsotjAVmey-J85xBwHQcbmY14Q73ETmp1-B8VMWPScgIAEp9U5rk6ZaceVghB6vYP6kda4nMD-ioA0N_bi75ePwoJSTWIFi7wT93eirCVbrwIgWvW7n5rxy2jZqQuUyDr8q6UzMuXXV2fYPVh2KF8UsDwzDpiW0sMWR61vM_8H4TKXQPJnnw40JTVv_PWYxd62pK50ntlAAdvMbTgiEpKe1glnCiWvym3zmheXGzYqgfCt2li-8-E0rUC2wxRJrcaMm0hFWArnJ73eo3DxPIhNDTcrlGLeXZILdwUkI9Bhpgf7ozAJw=w1634-h919-no

Last edited:
I havent cleaned the tank out yet but I was planning on using the RV standard "cup of bleach per gallon" and then flush out method.

Instructions from the tank manufacturer for sanitizing the tank:

wMW3TXIxUuSJoWP7zLIdqv5fvmNj_kBKqMcME2ic3BB8pbm6-awvvRFXp0kVKcBbYk2wBP74XfQGhT3mBQM0s30uUnz7uB-lZVpVPd2i1SNJhMAwHwMkN00xjFD8xeByYifXFP01zMfx5Wta-AXDASqz7cn33EeevlRhc0RRII_-h70QUcOAhdM0w0NEz0mq3yCbJLPxMcEvKaqdyCnHsWGoFjJcrVCstXZ7YywVaibQNNaLPLA_98L-ixpLCoSN7rvHKAC8SPZ4DcObRsn1VmyzKoDwBFZ6yTp7-ru_caLiH6As48sGUhvDn0XfuIDu9MJg_qxhoy5OrulkfhkXebSPrI41JoIoRbZUNG3gsotjAVmey-J85xBwHQcbmY14Q73ETmp1-B8VMWPScgIAEp9U5rk6ZaceVghB6vYP6kda4nMD-ioA0N_bi75ePwoJSTWIFi7wT93eirCVbrwIgWvW7n5rxy2jZqQuUyDr8q6UzMuXXV2fYPVh2KF8UsDwzDpiW0sMWR61vM_8H4TKXQPJnnw40JTVv_PWYxd62pK50ntlAAdvMbTgiEpKe1glnCiWvym3zmheXGzYqgfCt2li-8-E0rUC2wxRJrcaMm0hFWArnJ73eo3DxPIhNDTcrlGLeXZILdwUkI9Bhpgf7ozAJw=w1634-h919-no

Good to know I mistook your tank for SS.:oops:

My rig came with a bladder type water tank behind the rear panel in the back of my FZJ80. I think it hold about 6+ gallons. Not sure I would have gone that route, but it came with the rig. It actually works well and is pretty convenient.

My rig came with a bladder type water tank behind the rear panel in the back of my FZJ80. I think it hold about 6+ gallons. Not sure I would have gone that route, but it came with the rig. It actually works well and is pretty convenient.
Pics of that would be interesting if you could post some! How do you get water out of the bladder? Do you have to pull it out to fill and use?

I'll try and snap a pic after work today. Basically, there is a filler neck coming out of the panel near the top and a hose coming out of the neck on the bottom.

IMAG4813.jpg

IMAG4814.jpg
The water brick does look like a great company and product but options are good right? These are nalgene 4l carboys, my family has used them for years horse camping. These particular bottles are probably 20 years old at least, been rolled on by horses, frozen solid many times, still going strong. 4 fit pretty perfectly in a milk crate too. Nalgene 2123 for Google.

How durable are those water bricks? I'm looking for some type of water container to use in the rear passenger footwells, so my kids have to step on them or I usually have stuff stacked on top of them. I had a blitz jerry can water container that fit pretty well, but this past weekend I lost about half the water to leakage so I'm looking for something more durable.

I like the frontrunner water tank, but I'd prefer something I can take out at camp and not have to leave in permanently.

How durable are those water bricks? I'm looking for some type of water container to use in the rear passenger footwells, so my kids have to step on them or I usually have stuff stacked on top of them. I had a blitz jerry can water container that fit pretty well, but this past weekend I lost about half the water to leakage so I'm looking for something more durable.

I like the frontrunner water tank, but I'd prefer something I can take out at camp and not have to leave in permanently.
They are convenient for stacking on a flat surface or a mount of some sort. Also portable and flexible for options on where to carry. I'm not going to praise or derogate on the durability other than to say they're plastic. They're heavy when filled with water. I've put a hole in one of mine already - my fault - they were stacked, but not tied down well. Had to stop quickly and gouged one on the head of one of the seat bolts in my middle seat area. If you pull the middle seats and put the seat bolts back in to plug the holes, they stick up just a little. And the water brick slid across the head of the seat bolt and gouged a hole in it. Not a real sharp protrusion, but a hard edge and the relatively weak plastic water brick, heavy & full of water was damaged. Long story, I know...lol to make a point. Point is, if tied down and kept from sharp objects, they do the job. I wish the plastic was as thick as my Rotopax fuel containers...lol.

Thanks for the feedback, I might buy one to try out. I was also looking at the rotopax water containers, but these water bricks seemed like a good alternative and the dimensions are about right for what I need.

I know what you mean about the soft plastic. I used aquatainers for a while, they never failed on me but the durability felt questionable and their size makes them harder to store and move around. I'm hoping the carpeted surface in the foot well will be enough protection, but the foot well always seems to fill up with rocks and dirt after a camping trip so i'll have to be aware of that.

Here's a picture of the setup. Not much to see. A fill spout at the top and a tap at the bottom.

water.jpg

I usually just carry the dehydrated water packets. Saves on space!

A number of years ago I had a buddy fab me a SS tank that is sized for the 2nd row. I run without the 2nd row seats and this low and wide 18-gallon tank supports my camp boxes. I forgot to include a breather...but cracking the fill cap works; someday I'll TIG a breather into it. Maybe. :D. The only thing I don't like about it: The sloshing. But its sure nice to have 18-gallons on board in a space that otherwise wouldn't be used on my rig.

I run a 70 liter custom bladder in my oz patrol. Sits between the wheel wells behind the front seats (swb 2 door) and has a wooden box that sits over the bladder. Box bolts to the floor and then fridge and stuff straps down to the box. The box is maybe 6" tall so doesn't take much vertical space, but since it is wide and long it still holds quite a lot of water. Gravity feed hoses into/out of bladder to access water. Nice thing with a bladder is that there isn't much sloshing since the bladder collapses as water is pulled from it so you don't get the effect of a 'tank' that isn't full.

Keeps weight down low and is easy enough to measure the level by just looking at where the water is 'sitting' in the exit hose if you hold the hose vertical near the bladder.

I use a whale brand pump to transfer water into the bladder. The pump pushes through a carbon filter (sediment block and water taste) and then goes through a sawyer brand inline filter.

cheers,
george.

I run a 70 liter custom bladder in my oz patrol. Sits between the wheel wells behind the front seats (swb 2 door) and has a wooden box that sits over the bladder. Box bolts to the floor and then fridge and stuff straps down to the box. The box is maybe 6" tall so doesn't take much vertical space, but since it is wide and long it still holds quite a lot of water. Gravity feed hoses into/out of bladder to access water. Nice thing with a bladder is that there isn't much sloshing since the bladder collapses as water is pulled from it so you don't get the effect of a 'tank' that isn't full.

Keeps weight down low and is easy enough to measure the level by just looking at where the water is 'sitting' in the exit hose if you hold the hose vertical near the bladder.

I use a whale brand pump to transfer water into the bladder. The pump pushes through a carbon filter (sediment block and water taste) and then goes through a sawyer brand inline filter.

cheers,
george.

That's good stuff right there.
So when you come across some water you can refill easily. Good idea, might copy this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom