Carrying water alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
The 2.5 gallon bottles in my humidifier are heavy plastic similar to LCI 5 gallon water cans, have sturdy built in handles, are rectangular, have a thin profile and weigh less (easier to move around) than a 5 gallon can. Just replace the spring loaded valve with a cap and you would be good to go.
Not cheaper if you have to by them new (about $25 each) but a "better" profile for storing/mounting in smaller spaces in a truck maybe.

For example: (2 built in handles)
Water Bottle for Bemis/Essick Air H12 Series 1B5060120

Capture.JPG

Are they rated for potable water? Bpa free etc.
Just what I was thinking, might have a funny taste since they weren't intended for drinking water.
To save space I would suggest the water bags, like Reliance brand. Or carry a really good water filter, so you
can utilize available water as needed. I carry Sawyer filters, flushable and very effective

I use Water Bricks which are 3.5 gallon each and HPDE, BPA free food grade plastic. They're very durable and stack like Lego bricks. they also run about $17 each brand new.

has anyone tried something like this coleman carrier? http://amzn.to/2pmKiBJ

the collapsible ones intrigue me.
here's another similar alternative http://amzn.to/2pji5M0

Yes. The Coleman carrier tends to develop leaks around the junctions of the handles after a few uses, i.e. the stress points. This was a few years ago so maybe they've improved them. The accordion-shaped ones develop leaks at the seams of the folds after a few uses.

I used this: Reliance Aqua-tainer 7 gallon

Very well built and with a better designed handle than the Coleman. It also fits in my double jerry can holder on my rear bumper when I'm not carrying gas.

for potable i just take a 24 pack of bottled water. for washing lake, river, or creek water works for me. my camping trips are generally 3 to 4 days long

I use Water Bricks which are 3.5 gallon each and HPDE, BPA free food grade plastic. They're very durable and stack like Lego bricks. they also run about $17 each brand new.

I tested and used many options and the Water Bricks are great. I carry 3 one with a camelbak hose for sink use.

I tested and used many options and the Water Bricks are great. I carry 3 one with a camelbak hose for sink use.
Are they leak free and tough enough to bump into metal boxes without any issue? I got tired of wrestling the 7 gallon Reliance this weekend and I do not like the golf tee style vent. If I let the vacuum suck the vent close it seals ok, but the prior Reliance I had ended up leaking.

Are they leak free and tough enough to bump into metal boxes without any issue? I got tired of wrestling the 7 gallon Reliance this weekend and I do not like the golf tee style vent. If I let the vacuum suck the vent close it seals ok, but the prior Reliance I had ended up leaking.

All mine have been 100% leak free and always lay. They have seen 1000's miles of washboard roads without issue. Great product and design history IMO.
Products | WaterBrick

WaterBrick International Vision
In 2003 Jean-Michel Cousteau, the son of legendary oceanographer Jacques Cousteau, met with his friend, Wendell Adams, founder and inventor of WaterBrick, for breakfast one morning. During their conversation, Jean-Michel challenged Wendell to address the global need for clean water and the recycling of plastic waste worldwide. What started as a casual conversation soon became the catalyst for a major movement.

All mine have been 100% leak free and always lay. They have seen 1000's miles of washboard roads without issue. Great product and design history IMO.
Products | WaterBrick

WaterBrick International Vision
In 2003 Jean-Michel Cousteau, the son of legendary oceanographer Jacques Cousteau, met with his friend, Wendell Adams, founder and inventor of WaterBrick, for breakfast one morning. During their conversation, Jean-Michel challenged Wendell to address the global need for clean water and the recycling of plastic waste worldwide. What started as a casual conversation soon became the catalyst for a major movement.
Neat item. I think I have just found my new bread box.

Like so. I put a vent and Camelback adapter on mine also. Run the hose out the tailgate. I made a shorter hose to use on a table top. Each has a shutoff valve.

upload_2018-3-20_15-24-8.png

upload_2018-3-20_15-24-30.png

upload_2018-3-20_15-25-19.png

upload_2018-3-20_15-26-45.png

I was frustrated carrying water for extended overlanding, like in Baja, & looking for solutions. I think it was @LandCruiserPhil that suggested waterbricks for water storage in another thread, so I checked them out and ordered some. I also ordered the waterbrick spigot, but not paying close attention, as anybody knows that owns unmodified waterbricks, laying on their side, you can only get about 50% of the water out of them. Great! What a lame design... Didn't think of modifying them like some have done in this thread and also how @LandCruiserPhil modifyed his. So I was thinking of fabbing a vertical bracket so the opening would be down and could utilize more of the h2O, something like how @Dissent is carrying his - only vertical. BTW, I like that design for transporting, but I'll be carrying more than 2. Anyway I had a brainfart - why not just hang one upside down with some rope. So I tried it and tried it out. It's cheap and works like a champ. You just need a place to hang it from. Fortunately, my modified Yak rack has plenty of places to hang and one is convenient under my awning:
IMG_0801.JPG

So I'll keep them together:
IMG_0804.JPG

In a gallon ziplock:
IMG_0805.JPG

Now the trick is to remember where I stashed the damn ziplock....:hmm:

Last edited:
Well, this thread motivated me seeing other setups with their Waterbricks. So I got busy preparing for future extended overlanding trips. Being as I have a total of 8, I thought I should be prepared to carry all of them. Besides, they come in handy for holding town the bottom of my wall kit..lol. I used 3/4" plywood for the base. Couplers bolted to the board and threaded rods with hose to protect the bricks and secured at the top with washers & wingnuts. The eyebolts at my hardware store were too expen$ive & limited in length, so I went with the threaded rod. You can alternate the orientation of the Waterbricks when stacking to strengthen the stack, which I plan to do if carrying the max load. The base is bolted to both cargo rack/drawer base and the floor, so it should be stable for off road travel. Pics:

Without bricks - I plan to stain & seal the plywood
IMG_0819.JPG

I can remove unused rods if not carrying all bricks
IMG_0822.JPG

Alternate stacking
IMG_0817.JPG

Base & bricks in center row of my '94 with seats removed

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom