Carrying water alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a lot of water... If you are going for so long that you need that much water where will you put the rest of the stuff you'll need?
That's an excellent point and a major reason I've been looking for an off road trailer, such as this. I don't have to take all of it, but I wanted to provide storage and be able to haul it safely, if needed. I travel with a group in Baja and some of the remote beaches don't even have a local water source. If we find a nice spot, we sometimes stay a while...lol. Another reason for a trailer is you can drop it, make camp and still have a rig free to use, not to mention the extra room. Plus the convenience of keeping most of your gear in the trailer and ready to head out from home. Just hook up & go! Currently, deploying my RTT, awning with wall kit, trail kitchen and I can't go anywhere without packing it up. But back to the subject, carrying water. When I got the Waterbricks, I didn't consider transporting them. You can't just toss them in your rig with all the misc gear that your hauling. They're heavy & relatively fragile when full of water. So you need to secure them safely. Hopefully, others will see my post and realize that as convenient & flexible as the Waterbricks are, usage & hauling them around requires some planning.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine carrying that much water. I guess we are lucky up here in AK. There is always a fresh water source to filter from.

I use Water Bricks which are 3.5 gallon each and HPDE, BPA free food grade plastic. They're very durable and stack like Lego bricks. they also run about $17 each brand new.
Those maybe the coolest thing ever. Thanks for the tip! If someone had space on a roof rack like a prinsu or front runner, what do y'all think about bolting a couple up on the rack? I know it's better to keep weight low, but it's gotta weigh less than an RTT and awning.

Last edited:
Those maybe the coolest thing ever. Thanks for the tip! If someone had space on a roof rack like a prinsu or front runner, what do y'all think about bolting a couple up on the rack? I know it's better to keep weight low, but it's gotta weigh less than an RTT and awning.
I'm sure they would be fine up there. Low profile and easy to stack.

This is my set up. We are going to Baja next week.
20181028_181354.jpg
20181028_181338.jpg

That's an excellent point and a major reason I've been looking for an off road trailer, such as this. I don't have to take all of it, but I wanted to provide storage and be able to haul it safely, if needed. I travel with a group in Baja and some of the remote beaches don't even have a local water source. If we find a nice spot, we sometimes stay a while...lol. Another reason for a trailer is you can drop it, make camp and still have a rig free to use, not to mention the extra room. Plus the convenience of keeping most of your gear in the trailer and ready to head out from home. Just hook up & go! Currently, deploying my RTT, awning with wall kit, trail kitchen and I can't go anywhere without packing it up. But back to the subject, carrying water. When I got the Waterbricks, I didn't consider transporting them. You can't just toss them in your rig with all the misc gear that your hauling. They're heavy & relatively fragile when full of water. So you need to secure them safely. Hopefully, others will see my post and realize that as convenient & flexible as the Waterbricks are, usage & hauling them around requires some planning.

Water Bricks were designed first to get water to remote villages in 3rd world countries. With your mounts and Land Cruiser you could provide a delivery service.:)

Water Bricks were designed first to get water to remote villages in 3rd world countries....
Didn't know that, but it makes sense, like after a disaster. Easier to disperse after arriving on scene.

.....With your mounts and Land Cruiser you could provide a delivery service.:)
Lol...only if they paid off in gold bricks. It'd take that just to pay for the fuel.:steer:

I just bought one of these from OuterLimit Supply. I can't imagine carrying all that water!! I imagine if there is no water to purify, this is pretty useless.

Lifesaver Jerrycan 20000UF (3 Piece Kit)
That's amazing! The info in the video is compelling. Technology has really improved. Back in the 70's & 80's, when I was backpacking, there was no filter in existence that could filter out the giardia parasite from, like a creek. You couldn't even boil it - you had to use chemical tablets. Filter last for 5 yrs, too - wow!

It's pretty dry in baja and water must be purchased at water stores so that we don't get the $hits
That looks like a lot, how many gallons? How long are you going for? In my climate that would last a very long time. And camping in the warmer months always involves a creek/river/lake where there is an abundance for showering.
. If we find a beach we like I don't want to have to come back to town for more water. Plus the wife is going so there will be showers.

It's pretty dry in baja and water must be purchased at water stores so that we don't get the $hits

. If we find a beach we like I don't want to have to come back to town for more water. Plus the wife is going so there will be showers.

OK. I forget what an important asset it is in some places, I guess up here we kind of take it for granted. If your on salt water I guess you don't really want to use it for a shower so your taking more for that purpose as well. Lake and creek water here is usually fine for that, bring a large container, fill it and use a 12v shower pump.

I carry 3 MSR dromedary bags. Ive tried jugs, cans, bottles. These bags are bullet proof. I can put boiling water in them for a quick shower. They hang up in trees or off whatever on my rig for quick water. I can place them in crevices or move them to the fridge.

I carry a 4l for quick access (it sits on the back of the headrest) it can also be used as a hot water bottle and I can also use it as a camel back

two 10l bags, one usually gets setup for cooking, I can boil water and make a camp shower with the other.

MSR Dromedary® Bags

Its incredibly handy. Another thing that sucked with jugs that bags solve is I can fill them almost anywhere. Unlike my jug that if all I has was a sink somewhere I was screwed and had to make some waterfall device and a mess.

We carry and find 13.5 gals of water plenty for our needs even on several day trip with water being our #1 beverage. I do and have carried a pump water filter but our only needs have been while hiking to fill our water bladder over the years. When I travel solo I average 1.5gal a day for all my needs. I only carry and use filtered water.

People need to look harder as I found no shortage of filtered water traveling Mexico.

Showers are the biggest waste of water IMO. Using a bottle blaster you can shower efficiency with ~1 gal.

91kp7q2BpnhL._SL1500_.jpg

Fiji water bottles hold up the best when using heated water. I use my JetBoil to provide hot/warm water for shower needs.

Fiji-for-web.png

I like water bottles a lot but my issue was they would eventually get worked enough that I would get a crack. Only thing that didnt for me was the large ice coffee bottles and sports drinks. But I agree I can take a shower easily with less than a gallon. My bags have this cool shower/ dish washer spout
msr_showerkit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom