Carolina Relic Run 2018 - April 26-29, 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what you're saying is that we can't make everyone happy? Huh :p

Can't move it closer to May, we're already close to GSMTR as it is. Heard a bunch from Roger this year about CRR sniping attendance from GSTMR. Some of STLCA's members attended CRR and not GSMTR, so it would really damage our relationship with a sister club of ours to move it closer to May. CRR is at a scale now where we have to be cognizant of other club's events, both to be respectful, and to maximize our attendance.

Other option is to move it up a week to avoid Greensboro break, but then we're impacting Charlotte as well as Raleigh districts.

Could move it up to the first week in April but then you're getting really dodgy when it comes to weather.

Once again, not in a decision making position, but I don't see CRR changing weeks next year. I speculate that CRR dates will be April 25-28 2019, but we need to wait for the BOD to officially announce.

We moved CRR out last year so as to not impact another club function which hardly anybody participated in anyway. I'm of the belief that CRR is big enough now and has enough support that other events should be planned around it and not vice-versa. Now, if we could only infiltrate the local school boards to get Spring Break changed....

^^ Agreed, but only if you're referring to events that our club schedules, not other club's events.

Yeah..... oh well. I guess I'll see you guys in 2020...

Now to see what events my kids have planned that screw me out of Logans run again....

I'm possibly doomed to be at the xmas party and meet and greet and nothing else....

Thinking out loud:
It was in June the first year, what was the reason for changing it to April in the first place?

It was in april the first year, june the second (david miller had personal obligations iirc) and moved back to april for the third year. First year for CRR was 2016.

ahhhh.... gotcha. Thought it was june-april-april.....

E6DCE67E-4AB0-4E82-B335-CF80F777C7CA.jpeg
AADE0952-CA8A-41BF-864B-FF315BAAFE65.jpeg
great pics....hope to make next year

but why not adjust those wipers on the V8 FJ55? Such a simple thing to do, and its bothering me!

That kind of stuff bothers me too! Good news, they are parked correctly now. The wiper motor was reconnected and they are fully functioning. I actually used them quite a bit on my 1100 mile road trip to GSMTR 18 last weekend.

Before RR18, the wiper motor had been unplugged when the new custom harness went in. I knew the wiper arms were in “correct” position, as they would park correctly prior to me unplugging it. Unfortunately, I didn’t park them the last time they were used. With a long “to do” list to make it to the event, I didn’t have time to finish the new harness to wiper motor and I didn’t want to move the arms because I knew they were already in the correct position, once I reconnected power to the motor.

I once made this mistake on a 62 I restored. I had the wipers out of the correct park position only to have them dive straight into the cowl, when I reconnected power to its motor.

Now if I can just finish the rest of that “to do” list, before Pig Party 2018!

Last edited:
Guys and gal, who do I send a thank you letter to for the ARB tire patch kit at Fred Anderson Toyota (as in name of who donated and from what department)? We had a weeee bit of rain in Roanoke and my son drove me around in the hundy Sunday night to survey the pretty police lights and the blocked roads. Tuesday morning I walked out to go to work and Georgine had a large piece of wire stuck in the tire. I drive a Camry over an hour away to work so my loving bride of 23 years watched me remove the wire, ream/plug the hole, and cuss with the best of them. I got mad cussing skills! Then I was on my way to earn a living.

Closing survey has been sent out. Please take a few minutes and knock this out for us. We'd love to get your feedback on what you like and what we can improve upon.

Thanks,
Eric

This year's Carolina Relic Run was an outstanding success thanks in large part to all those that volunteered, our generous sponsors and our new friends at the Uwharrie Off Road Training Center. Of course it didn't hurt to have the break in the rain just in time for the weekend and the excellent catered dinner Saturday night. Having the event end up on television was an added bonus.

The (somewhat) official numbers reflect that we had 68 registered relic drivers and 20 "spectators" driving their newer Land Cruisers. Including passengers and kids, the total number of registered attendees was 150. I'm still blown away by the distances traveled by many of those in attendance.

Below is a list of the prizes and prize winners. Note "fka" is short for formerly known as.

1. Land Cougar (fka Oldest Land Cruiser) - It was incredibly close with two brass-tag 1965 FJ45s, but HenDog with his FJ45 SWB lost out to Larry Bolt who showed up in his somewhat recently acquired 1965 FJ45 LWB. I particularly love the looks of these early trucks, with their bib lights, round turn signals and dash mounted lever for the vacuum actuated 4WD shifter.

2. Oldest Pink Slip (fka Longest Continuous Ownership) - For the second year in a row, the winner was Dean Campbell (@Kayaker), who is the original owner of his 1972 FJ40 which he received from his father as a graduation present.

3. The Hanger Queen (fka Best Overall Condition) - Back in January 2010, Jon Mabe (@S4Cruiser) practically stole a 1970 FJ40 and started a thread in the Olde North State Cruisers clubhouse called "Project - Not so Nice" (Project - Not so Nice). Well, despite his intentions, Jon's OCD got the better of him. The fruit of his years of patience and labor is an amazingly well sorted out and beautiful Audi Nardo Grey FJ40 which made its debut at this year's CRR. She is a real head-turner and I'm hoping to ride shotgun on the trails in her someday soon.

4. The Iron Butt - There were 16 vehicles that traveled more than 400 miles to celebrate these classic vehicles alongside people who enjoy them as much as they do. This award was well-earned by Michael Blake (@76 FJ40) who drove his HJ45 pick up 575 miles to the event from Huntsville, AL. :steer:

4.5 Most Miles Traveled - I want to give a shout-out to Todd Blosser (@RumBum) who surely had a sore bum after towing his 1982 FJ40 a whopping 728 miles to attend this year's Carolina Relic Run. Rumor has it there is a GoFundMe account to help him pay off the balance on his gas card.

5. The Barn Find (fka Best Patina) - If my notes are correct, then Larry Bolt also took home this award. I'm not sure that his 1965 FJ45 LWB was sporting it's original paint, but it had patina for days!

5.5 Most Rust - Now let's not confuse patina with ordinary rust. The differences are becoming well known within our circles. We brought this award out of retirement and awarded it to Kevin Montgomery (@Monty231) for his 1976 FJ40.

6. Straight Outta Toyota City (fka Most Original) - This award goes to Patrick Johnson (@iptman) whose yellow 1977 FJ40 was in amazing original condition and tastefully sporting dealer installed pinstripes.

7. Farthest from Factory (fka Most Unoriginal/Modified) - This award was well deserved by Deo Klein (@cruiserjunktion) whose truck was a Frankenklein (see what I did there) combination of a 1974 FJ55 body sitting on a 1996 80 series chassis running a 100 series drivetrain. This amazing combination went anywhere it wanted to on the URE trails and I was even more impressed by his handiwork after riding shotgun with Deo on a short ride Sunday morning (glad I brought that extra change of underwear!). Want to learn more about it? Check it out here: The 1974 Surf Wagon...

8. Most White Gas Used (fka Best Overall Vintage Camping Equipment) - If you didn't venture over to see Travis Smith's (@Comet) campsite, you missed out. To say it was well-appointed is an understatement. Here's a sampling:
  • Camp Chuck box from 1968 built by Travis' father-in-law
  • Coleman dual fuel lantern circa 1986
  • Coleman two burner white gas stove circa 1973
  • Coleman green metal cooler
  • Enamel Coffee percolator circa 1960's
  • Wagner cast iron skillets (#5, #8, & #14)
  • Food prep field table circa 1977
  • Mountain cookware (nesting pots, plates) US Military circa 1954
  • Spatula and utensils (chocked full o' lead paint) 1960-80's vintage
  • Aluminum folding chair with 'Merican red white and blue webbing.
  • Canvas A-Frame BSA tent with hemp rope guidelines via the 70's
  • Wooden and canvas cot via BSA
9. Most Convincing Time Traveler (fka Best Dressed) - I think everyone would agree that there were some great contestants again this year. I thought the crowd would have a hard time making their decision until I saw Alex's (@AlexFJ40) son, Luke, in his jumpsuit. Thanks to everyone that raided the thrift stores and participated in one of my favorite competitions for the weekend.

10. By the People, For The People (fka Fan Favorite) - See number 3 above. Clearly, the judges and those in attendance were clearly enamored with Jon's (@S4Cruiser) FJ40.

I encourage attendees to post pics of the prize winning trucks. Unfortunately, I was too busy to snap many decent photos. @Green Hell Mustang hopes to have edited photos available in about the time it takes a tuner to wire in a piggyback ECU (just ask @jamesurq and he'll tell you that's two weeks).

All registered drivers and spectators should have received an email from the ONSC club President, Eric Rymer which includes a link to 10-question survey. If you haven't already, please take the time to respond thoughtfully to this survey as we do rely on your feedback to continuously improve the event.

Thanks again to everyone that came out. Please patronize our sponsors when planning for your next project and when you place your orders, please thank them for their support of our event.

We hope to see you and your friends at next year's event! Once the board nails down a date and reserves group camp, I'll push them to update this thread so you can mark your calendars.

Update time. The numbers have been crunched and donations have been issued.

Tread Lightly - $1,100
Blue Ribbon Coalition - $1,100
Friends of Uwharrie - $1,100

Thanks to our generous sponsors and the support of all of you we were able to donate $3,300 to charity. This exceeds any previous ONSC event by $1,100. Thanks to your support we are able to give back to those working hard to keep trails open, promote safe and ethical trail use and support the forest that we enjoy so deeply.

So congrats and thanks to you for the continued support and hope to see you at the next event!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Slight correction....the Tread Lightly! donation was also $1,100.

Update time. The numbers have been crunched and donations have been issued.

Tread Lightly - $1,000
Blue Ribbon Coalition - $1,100
Friends of Uwharrie - $1,100

Thanks to our generous sponsors and the support of all of you we were able to donate $3,300 to charity. This exceeds any previous ONSC event by $1,100. Thanks to your support we are able to give back to those working hard to keep trails open, promote safe and ethical trail use and support the forest that we enjoy so deeply.

So congrats and thanks to you for the continued support and hope to see you at the next event!!!!!!!!!

Damn between this and LR the club must donate around 6k to charity annually. Love it

Happy New Year! What are the planned dates for CRR 2019? the Music City Cruisers guys (MCC) and I really enjoyed it and would love to come back and hang out/wheel with this fine group of Land Cruiser folks.
Group Camp has been reserved for April 25-28, 2019. We hope to see you there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom