carb help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok mud members, need some help.. just recently bought an 83 smogged fj60. it had been sitting for 20 years in someones yard, was parked there and never driven again. it has the factory carb and all the smog equipment on the truck. i have removed tank, lines, carb. cleaned and replaced all lines as needed, cleaned and resealed the tank, replaced fuel pump and filter. heres my trick question. the carb that was on it is completely toast, going to rebuild, due to sitting with bad fuel for so long.

i have a jim c rebuild desmogged carb that is good. can install this as a temporary setup to make it drivable while rebuilding the carb? will it run, run like crap, not run at all? i may send the old out for jim c rebuild if i can limp by this way, but don't want to put it all back together if this is not going to work? thoughts and help appreciated.. Thanks all

Sure you can run the desmogged carb. The desmogged carb might even run as the smogged carb if you hook up the vac lines. I’m sure jim can let you know if it will still work well enough with the smog stuff or if you just need to plug the smog lines for now. Basically the the various vac lines are plugged then none of the smog equipment will do anything. Only difference will be your smogged dizzy curve might not work as well. But it will work.

It will run fine with the desmogged carb. You may need to plug / cap some unused vacuum lines. You might experience pinging under load around 2000 rpms. If you do, move the hose from the carb to the vacuum advance port on the distributor from the inner port to the outer. The outer port goes to the HAC, and if you are running in desmog mode in TX, the HAC is not really necessary. The outer port only allows a little bit of vacuum advance (5-7 degrees maybe?) as opposed to the inner port providing a full amount (30+ degrees total).

And worst case you can run without any vac advance not hooked up. It honestly doesn’t make a huge difference on these ancient engines.

Sweet! Thanks for the help gents. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

my thoughts were it would, just may not pass emissions. That’s not my goal, just to get it going for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom