Carb Fan... When And Why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't seem to find a pattern when or why my carb fan comes on... Does anyone know what activates the fan/ why it comes on?

There is a temp sensor on the underside of the exhaust manifold. When the temperature reaches a certain point (I don't know what it is) the fan comes on, AFTER you shut off the ignition. It then stays on about 20 minutes.

You're one of the lucky ones, it seems to actually work!

Oh, and it's supposed to help keep the gas in the carb fron boiling out after you shut off the engine.

mine works just like surf pig said. The fan turns on only when you turn off the engine and the engine is in operating temp. It turns off once the engine has cooled below a certain temp.

tip for those that have nonfunctional fans. Mine stopped working a few months ago because the fans' power connector got loose and disconnected. maybe thats your problem!

yea mine used to work now i think it stopped :-( i thought it was cool as hell. i think im gonna try and find out why it no workie now.

wonder if there is a way to do away with the sensor and have some kind of timer / relay on the fan where it would come after the truck was turned off and run for 10min.... all the time. Mine works, but the wire location sucks, and its just a matter of time before it "melts".

I 'm guessing the fan does not run while the engine is running...does it?

I believe the fan kicks on when you turn the engine off to cool the carb, which helps with warm starts.

No. Does not work when engine is running.

Supposed to cool carb on 60's, but on 62's cools the fuel rail. Helps with hot starts for sure.

Worth fixing.

wonder if there is a way to do away with the sensor and have some kind of timer / relay on the fan where it would come after the truck was turned off and run for 10min.... all the time. Mine works, but the wire location sucks, and its just a matter of time before it "melts".

I 'm guessing the fan does not run while the engine is running...does it?

I wired in an aftermarket adjustable radiator fan controller just like you suggest, with the temp sensor right next to the carb (because my original setup didn't work). It kicks on at a preset temp, whether the engine is on or not. Seems to work well.

You can do away with the sensor. Just ground the wire that would normally go to the sensor and the fan will turn on for however many minutes it does every time you turn off the engine.

also, helps keep the manifold from cracking. engine runs much hotter with all the emissions crap, which is why only usa models have them.

blower motor on my fj60 always turns of after engine is shut off and usually stays on for 30 min; elbert is right about the poor wire location; had to replace melted wire couple of times already. just remembered that the blower also turns on whenever multple cranking attempts to cold-start truck!! and that's not even at regular operating temp (ie. truck not even driven to operating temp)so does that mean it needs adjustment/is there any temp adjustment possible???

Toyslug,

The wire is suppose to be connected to a temp sensor. This will keep the fan from running when the engine is turned off but it's not hot. Yours is working like the wire is just grounded. Either the sensor is bad or the wire is shorted to ground.

Alright, my fan was working almost everytime I turned it off last week. Today I come home and it does nothing. I decide that the best way to fix it would be to hit it. I smack it a couple of times, and it kicks on. So, can I clean up the fan motor, or should I just get another one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom