Can't get drivers side solid axle to go in (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any tips. This is getting really annoying. Easier to have transfer case in 2wd or 4wd? Do you push up on end of axle or push down? Should I not have put the knuckle on first? Can't get this thing in there been trying for over an hour.

EDIT: Finally got it. For anyone else reading and having same issue in future, beating on the end of the axle with a rubber mallet (hard) while wilgling the birfield and rotating the driveshaft incrementally it is what did the trick.

Last edited:
Is it possible for the side to be too jacked up in the air such that the angle makes it impossible for the axle to go in and clear the knuckle ball thing?

The inner axle is going to sag a bit so you have to manipulate it a bit to get it level with the side gear in the diff. AND rotate to get splines to line up. AND....have the flats aligned to clear the flat spots on the knuckle ball.

Low Range Off Road has a good series on rebuilding the front axle. Watch them all or fast forward to what you need to see.

Thanks yeah I've watched that. Damn thing is being stubborn as s***.

It's a 9 part series so try part 8 or 9. Good luck.
I can get the axle in far enough that the birfield is ~90% in but I can't get it the last little bit. It seems like it's getting hung up on the ball.

If it is splined into the diff, you should be able to rotate your drive shaft (If T-case is in neutral) and get some rotation on the axle shaft until it clears, aligns, whatever it needs to do.

Does it feel like it splined in? If it does you can maybe give it a tap or two with a dead blow (soft) hammer. Rotate it a bit as needed.
So in the video he says it maybe helpful to rotate the driveshaft. Do I need to rotate the driveshaft in the perfect way such that the splines in the diff are perfectly alligned to accept the splines in the axle while the flat spots are perfectly up and down? I think the issue maybe that I have the splines aligned (b/c it goes in 90% of the way) but the flat spots are off by a few degrees such that they are not perfectly up and down. I'll try banging on it with rubber mallet while rotrating. Thank you!

If it's NOT splined into the diff, it's because the shaft is drooping and needs to get lifted up a bit to slide in. You have to push down on the outer side. Which is harder on the short axle shaft.

🤔 Driver side is longer so should be easier. You can see why seals get damaged.

I probably already ****ed the new seal at this point lol

These pictures kind suck, but I get it in this much and it won't rotate at all even with rotating the driveshaft. Had wife rotate driveshaft while I wiggled axle and it just won't budge in. The last one was taken at an angle, the flat spots are more up and down then they look. Maybe slightly off center. But I can't rotate it to get them perfect up and down.

EDIT: ****ing hell yes finally got. After like 3 hr lol. Learning that sometimes you just gotta beat the s*** out of stuff with a hammer lol. Taken a while to get used to that. My instinct is to be super gentle. Thank you so much for the help, I really really appreciate it!

image_123927839.JPG

image_6487327.JPG

image_6487327(1).JPG

Last edited:
We ALL had to learn the hard way, by doing it. We ALL broke stuff at some time. Good for you for going for it and not giving up. You learned how and didn't have to pay someone to do it for you. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom