'85 can't get axle out far enough to put c clip on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever had this issue? I rebuilt my knuckles, I've done it once before. But this time the drivers side axle won't pull out far enough to get the C clip on. With the spindled seated it won't move in or out at all like the normally do. The preload is right on and the axle is centered in the spindle and turns by hand.

I put a screw in the end of the axle and even beat on it with a hammer and vice grips against the head of the bolt but it won't move. Ended up taking it back apart. On the bench I can slide the spindle to about 1/8" from the birfield before it stops, Idk if thats normal or not, but have always assumed from the outer grease grooves in the bushing that it sits pretty close to the shoulder of the birfield?? Anyone know?

The bushing is flush in the spindle so its not that. The inside of the bushing looks fine, nothing obvious stopping it. I tried sliding the old bushing on the axle and it gets just a bit closer but not flush. I have to be missing something, but all I can figure out is once the spindle is torqued the bushing is too tight for the axle to move in and out, but yet it spins ok so idk...

Appreciate any thoughts or tips, fought with this all damn day... anyone want a 85 runner before I set it ablaze?

Thanks guys. Yep all the gaskets are correct. Figured out the issue I think, when I put the bushing in I must have deformed it slightly. Used a brake cylinder hone to get it to seat all the way to the birf, there was obvious high spots towards the non flange end.

Once seated to the birf there's a huge gap on one side of the axle and less on the other, so it's not centered. When you turn the spindle the gap follows it around. When shimmed to center it would be even in more of a bind. Surprised the axle would turn but makes sense as to why it wouldnt move in and out.

Time for a new bushing. I tapped it in with a chunk of 2x4 and dead blow hammer.. Guess that's not the way to do it 😔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom