1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't even make this crap up.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Junk, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Junk

Junk

So I haven't really been doing much with the beater lately, and tonight drive down to the back of the yard to pick up the trailer (full of brush and stuff).

Out of no where as I'm coming up the hill, yup, I hear a frickin C R A C K, then clink clink clink. Hmm. At least this birf isn't the new one, it's the one on the ds. :'(

Didn't feel like dealing with it tonight, will check it out tomorrow, but shees, can't even drive in the yard without breaking crap. :(

2. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Not to kick you when you are down....... but damn you are jinxed!
    Dave

3. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I'd think you'd have mentioned it, but as a data point - was the front locker engaged???

Doug

4. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

and is your yard similar to MOAB or The Rubicon???????????????

5. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  6. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

man, that;s sick. i wish my back yard looked like that, on a second note, i did some work on my mrs grandfathers farm, and i recon it'd scrub up into a fair little offroad park..............................................

7. yomama

yomama

Naw, I jinxed him for not sending me that boost gauge he said he was going to send me, like 4 months ago :flipoff2:

Yomama

8. Junk

Junk

Me thinks its my karma coming back to me. :-\ :flipoff2:

wishfull thinking on my part I assure you. :D

yup. pulling up a loaded trailer (probably weighs in close to 4k right now) full of rock. Locked 'cause it was super wet out there and we just had close to 400 yards of dirt brought in (kind of steep :D ).

That's cause first I had to fill it for ya :flipoff2:, actually was just in the PM area finally printing out your addy :flipoff2: :D I never claimed to be responsible you know. :slap: :flipoff2:

9. MTNRAT

MTNRAT SILVER Star

[quote author=Junk pulling up a loaded trailer (probably weighs in close to 4k right now) full of rock. Locked 'cause it was super wet out there and we just had close to 400 yards of dirt brought in (kind of steep

Are you sure it was only 4000 lbs. Cuz I know from experience a pickup full to the top of the box with heavy clay soil came in at 5800 lbs.
    :cheers:
    Sean

10. Junk

Junk

No, it was a guestimate based on prior hauling/weighing experience. It's a 5x8 hydro dump trailer and is not full, but if I didn't say it was full, then folks would think I was pulling a small 416 with branches. :D

The exact weight isn't important, I was only stating the weight as the reason why I was locked. Losing momentum and slipping backwards with a trailer like that in on a wet surface would kind of suck. ;)

11. Safado

Safado

Think of the half full side:

How many other guys can ever say they had access to all their tools, jack, stands, beer, bed, tv, computer...etc, the last time they broke a birf? That's as good a place as you can get.

12. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Junk, you are not alone. On Sat I took the SchoolBus on the local club's weenie roast run. Easy run, but I broke either a birfield, inner axle or the ring and pinion. :( Haven't had time to pull it apart yet.

13. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I was going to say Junk can never go near my truck, but now Slee too? I wish I could afford having Slee touch my truck, maybe with new springs in hand. These problems seem to spread once posted, I'll be keeping my head down!

14. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I'm not even gonna sit in mine for a week :doh:

15. Beowulf

Beowulf

Christo,
    Please refer to Jim's birfield repack in the tech section and post back here if you have any questions. We'll be glad to help and won't let you fail... I promise.

RDAH

:D

-B-

16. landtoy80

landtoy80

Junk needs to have his intire 80 Cryogenically harded or beter yet, Junk should be Cryogenically froxen. This will stop him from braking anything:D

17. cary

cary

I think that the problem is that Junk has missed his calling in life, new product testing for Toyota. :D :D I think the real problem is that given the way Junk wheels and uses his truck, the only thing he would break would be a new Mercedes Unimog. Sadly, I think he would probably find never before found weaknesses in even the invinsible Unimog.

Cary

18. Junk

Junk

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6601;start=msg53803#msg53803 date=1066849306]
    Junk, you are not alone. On Sat I took the SchoolBus on the local club's weenie roast run. Easy run, but I broke either a birfield, inner axle or the ring and pinion. :( Haven't had time to pull it apart yet.
    [/quote]

Thanks Christo. Gee, braking one in the back yard is almost as bad as on a weenie roast run. :flipoff2:

Glad I had a few spare new birfields handy. :D After pulling it, it looks just like my last one from Mem. Day, so I'm thinking it may have gone bad awhile back and just finally ripped apart last night.

I got all the bits out, but didnt' in the new one. How the heck do I pull off the ABS ring off the old one? ???

19. landtoy80

landtoy80

Very carefully. Don't brake it as you can't just buy a new one.

20. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=6601;start=msg54063#msg54063 date=1066876449]
    How the heck do I pull off the ABS ring off the old one? ???
    [/quote]

Use a bearing splitter/removal tool and a press.