Can you tell from the VIN number if the vehicle has e-lockers?! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To above poster, it seems we came to a horsehoe - hand grenade idea of about 8-10% of production vehicles got them, you see a higher percentage here since it's an enthusiast site, but that was a number kicked around a few years ago.
So then we could say that only about 1300 or so were imported in 1998 (year of my LC100), being that less than 14,300 LC100's were produced for the USA that model year. That would make it pretty exclusive for a 'normal' production vehicle.

Whether they're jerks or not, they will not be able to tell from the VIN.
I would argue this. Before I bought my 97 LC, I sifted through dozens of classifieds throughout the country. When I found something interesting, I'd simply call Toyota with a VIN and ask for a factory build sheet. They'd email it right over. It was a 5 minute conversation.

I would argue this. Before I bought my 97 LC, I sifted through dozens of classifieds throughout the country. When I found something interesting, I'd simply call Toyota with a VIN and ask for a factory build sheet. They'd email it right over. It was a 5 minute conversation.
Not the point. The locker identification is NOT in the VIN. Now if the VIN happens to have a build sheet associated perhaps. The LX is a unfied DB where the LC is not from my understanding. So you would need to know the original dealer, VIN and hope they have that record. Better chance with a LX I believe.

since that ebay seller is expressly stating (even in the title) that it has F/R lockers, i think there could be some recourse if that turned out to not be the case...

Not the point. The locker identification is NOT in the VIN. Now if the VIN happens to have a build sheet associated perhaps. The LX is a unfied DB where the LC is not from my understanding. So you would need to know the original dealer, VIN and hope they have that record. Better chance with a LX I believe.

It is built into the VIN which does indeed correspond to the build sheet and port installed options that any Toyota dealer can pull up.

I have access to Toyota TIS so I punched in my VIN and under the accessories box, it does show that my '96 has the locking F&R diffs. Accesory code DL. Which makes sense, since I have the K294 sticker and the actual lockers.

I also punched in the VIN of the Ebay LC and it does not show the DL designator.

Pretty sure someone got ripped off a bit.

And @midfat I stand corrected a bit.

It is built into the VIN which does indeed correspond to the build sheet and port installed options that any Toyota dealer can pull up.
I stand corrected. Everything I read here I thought that wasn't the case.

I have access to Toyota TIS so I punched in my VIN and under the accessories box, it does show that my '96 has the locking F&R diffs. Accesory code DL. Which makes sense, since I have the K294 sticker and the actual lockers.

I also punched in the VIN of the Ebay LC and it does not show the DL designator.

Pretty sure someone got ripped off a bit.

And @midfat I stand corrected a bit.
No offense taken. Just wanted to ensure everyone was aware of the resources that Toyota offers.

But can you just look at the VIN and tell if the rig has factory lockers WITHOUT referring to any other resources?

I usually call Toyota (or Lexus) , give them the vin and ask the directly. If the guys behind the parts counter aren't jerks they usually tell you.

Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners

Instead of that just go to the Toyota Specification linked above and type the VIN in. Abracadabra! It tells you everything you want to know that was installed into the vehicle at the factory; unless for some reason you get a Canadian vehicle, they didn't do an excellent job on record keeping.

You can do this within 30 seconds, as I've been searching for a pair of lockers through the local junkyard here and they usually only post the vins. Therefore, just type the vin into Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners and it gives you that spread sheet you were referring to. :) Enjoy!

You also have to factor in that your looking for something that will tell you if the truck had or did not have lockers from the factory. I took the axles out of the 95 i had run up to 280k miles and traded them into the 97 i now have with 170 miles. My door says no locker. You also have to look at the possibility that one of these trucks at this point in life has been wrecked and a door from the salvage yard has been used. The only way you can really tell is have them turn them on and light up the dash. If that doesn't work you could also get a pic of the actuator and know you have a engagement problem.

As to the vin, i usually take what Beno says as gospel.

Are there numbers on the trans which correspond to the motor or to the vin number?that the trans does In fact belong to that specific vehicle?

Internally to Toyota, yes.

Externally, to anyone else, no.

At least for this era vehicle. Things changed drastically in the mid-2000's with the introduction of RFID tags on all assemblies.

Internally to Toyota, yes.

Externally, to anyone else, no.

At least for this era vehicle. Things changed drastically in the mid-2000's with the introduction of RFID tags on all assemblies.
Thank you.

Like internally if I had my numbers and went to my Toyota dealership? (I have a great relationship with the parts guy)

Or is it more like Toyota corporate?

Thank you.

Like internally if I had my numbers and went to my Toyota dealership? (I have a great relationship with the parts guy)

Or is it more like Toyota corporate?

No. Your Toyota parts guy won't have a clue nor will he know where to look for information like this.

Toyota Corporate won't know either. This would be at the supplier/factory/procurement level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom