Can you identify this FJ40 Coil/Electronic Ignition? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I just received my 1976 US spec wiring harness and planning on minor modifications to it. Can anyone identify what brand this Electronic Ignition is? Anyone recommend a reliable set up for my 2F engine? Ideally I would like to use as many original connectors in harness as possible. Thanks for your help.
E661A960-9A0C-471F-A95D-B7EFC9EC51B9.jpeg

Looks very non-Toyota and definitely not stock. If this setup is reliable, you may not gain much by switching back to OEM.

Is everything else in the ignition system stock, or do you have an aftermarket distributor, etc.?

Take a look at this:

Good write-up on OEM distributors, coils, and igniters. If your '76 has the original OEM vacuum retard distributor it can be converted to vacuum advance, then paired with an OEM '77 coil and igniter. That might be a good set-up for you.

You can also run an early ('68 and earlier) or non-US vacuum advance distributor, a 1/75 through 8/76 OEM distributor converted to vacuum advance, or a '77 OEM vacuum advance distributor (already vacuum advance).

Often known as the CDI Porter. Common in other markets. Easy to find in Indonesia and Colombia for a variety of vehicles. Used to convert from points to electronic ignition. Similar to the Pertronix.
64A5FAE0-DB4F-4172-824B-75F79FAE5B73.jpg
0FCF7089-0B63-4F1B-882F-6206C7CB4BF7.jpeg

Thanks all. @SteveH it appears the distributor is stock but I’m getting acclimated to the truck so not sure yet. I’m attaching an image. Will do some reading on Dizzy and the vacuum advance distributors @4Cruisers. @TWatson thanks for solving the mystery. Since this is on a Colombian imported 40, it makes sense they installed this. Appreciative the help here.

4CC9BBCA-47C0-4C18-A0D9-A7D0FC530904.jpeg

That looks like a non-US small cap vacuum advance distributor - I'd definitely keep it.

Thanks @4Cruisers - I’m trying to verify the exact distributor on my 2F. Attached are some additional photos. Located on the vacuum diaphragm there are the following #’s 029450-1880. There are no other markings on distributor. Also included is an image of the coil which has been identified as a TPI coil 19500-1 with resistor up to 7412. It’s a high output gel coil.

The electronic ignition from Porter identified by @TWatson is on top of the coil with bracket. I’m not able to find any information online about the CDI Porter ignition system and wondering if you have the link to any product literature. As I’m going through my 1976 US spec wiring harness that I’m installing on my 4/1976 Colombia Spec 40, I wanted to see if the 15 AMP Engine circuit (OEM fuse block image below) is sufficient.

AFB0EBE4-9DB1-4986-B32F-ADBE150E6FD4.jpeg

22C3A418-39B1-4A63-8929-6712A730BE2E.jpg

F4A706D3-EB0A-47ED-ADAE-300555ADA62D.jpeg

43008BA3-29A1-4418-8028-3BD9925CFAD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @4Cruisers - I’m trying to verify the exact distributor on my 2F. Attached are some additional photos. Located on the vacuum diaphragm there are the following #’s 029450-1880. There are no other markings on distributor. Also included is an image of the coil which has been identified as a TPI coil 19500-1 with resistor up to 7412. It’s a high output gel coil.

The electronic ignition from Porter identified by @TWatson is on top of the coil with bracket. I’m not able to find any information online about the CDI Porter ignition system and wondering if you have the link to any product literature. As I’m going through my 1976 US spect wiring harness that I’m installing on my 4/1976 Colombia Spec 40, I wanted to see if the 15 AMP Engine circuit (OEM fuse block image below) is sufficient.

View attachment 2168402

View attachment 2168403

View attachment 2168404

View attachment 2168407
I've got the 0294500-1880 advancer in the database I've started to put together. Let me see if I can find the origin, may have been a photo here on MUD.

UPDATE: The non-US or early (pre-69) advancer on City Racer's website has the Denso Part Number 029450-1881 - it has a plastic octane adjuster knob. There's an almost identical Land Cruiser advancer on eBay with a metal octane adjuster knob - Denso Part Number is 029450-1880, just like yours.

What's the distributor part number? Should be 19100-XXXXX.

Last edited:
I use this site for any import Toyota to find parts and cross reference. I selected General Countries spec (for Colombia, Saudi, etc) body type etc. The selected FJ40L-KC should match type on your VIN plate. If it doesn’t you can change this. I go to the part and click on it with the expanded picture. I can then see the Toyota part number that would have come with it.

I will then google the part number. You will see this one has been superceded. So google the superceded number. This will bring up some parts sites like Toyotapartsdeal, cruiser Parts, city racer, etc. and help you cross reference the US range parts for crossover that were identical and learn even more. You can do this for North America spec as well if you want to look up a 76 US. You will find many parts available here, but a local Toyota dealer may not be able to look up the correct part for your spec vehicle. For example I replaced a distributor in an 1982 FJ43 once. I couldn’t just look up an 82 FJ40 US truck at the dealer. Doing this exercise it was determined that the 1982 FJ43 would have had I believe the vacuum advance points distributor that was the same as a 1975 US spec. I was able to then order the correct part from a US Toyota parts source.
This is most likely what is in your truck with the points replaced with the Porter Unit. I haven’t been able to find much of anything on the internet though either, other than some of the images I sent of it I can tell you almost half the trucks I have seen though have had one installed

7A115538-18F0-43AA-A4D5-EB42BE603852.png
9B00904B-FB0B-49B1-8709-34392E3285DF.png
B9DF6442-E0C3-446F-B806-4311912EAB20.png

Thanks @TWatson very helpful. I will follow this process for identifying parts moving forward. Also, thanks @4Cruisers. I now have a detailed list of the electrical system. My last part to identify is the alternator which has no part numbers on alternator.

If anyone finds the link to Porter Electronics LTD website or can photograph the wiring specs please post it. It’s strange that this company has no digital foot print anywhere on the internet.

@JohnnyC I did that same search query but did not find the link to Ignition Tech or the product literature. Many thanks. I emailed Ignition Tech to have them send me the product PDF. If they send it, I’ll post it here.

Because that doesn't look like a '76 coil, my question is what kind of voltage does it put out, and how should you gap your plugs?

I'm pretty confident that the 15amp engine fuse is satisfactory for an idle cut solenoid, and alternator regulator. The OE coil, and probably the aftermarket coil, is not on the branch of that circuit that is fused.

Did you notice that your distributor is missing the cap that covers the octane-timing adjustment? When I installed mine I had to rotate the distributor so that the vac diaphragm is on the front side of the engine, like the image on the City Racer site. It kinda throws the cap wires off, but I'm using a hybridized set of Yazaki and Carquest wires that I can route cleanly. Moving the distributor around is kinda tricky, and critical, if you don't all the ins and outs of mating it with the oil pump.

@Dizzy, the non USA coil part number for my 76, 2F is 19500 as shown in the image below. It appears the coil replacement they used matches #19500 here: FJ40 IGNITION COIL, UP TO 7412. It’s a gel high output up to 7412 coil. (I’m not sure what the numbers 7412 mean?).

Here is image of where the octane timing adjustment should be. Not sure why they flipped the vacuum diaphragm around to back side? The diaphragm looks new but distributor looks used. I‘m considering buying the City Racer distributor and installing it correctly. I also included image of carburetor with idle cut solenoid. The truck runs and idles well as is but can make it better.

in looking at the 76 wiring diagram, the circuit looks like the BLK-YEL wire connects from voltage regulator IG to one side of the 15AMP ‘Engine’ fuse block. The other side leaves the fuse block as BLK-YEL but changes to BLUE-YELLOW as it flows into BLK-YEL at Ignition switch. It must be a typo....

There is another BLK-YEL that goes from starter to ballast resister and then to the other side of fuse block between the ‘engine’ fuse and ‘headlamps’.

CE2889B1-D35E-40A1-8174-DBEB92F6E927.jpeg

08097186-FE9B-4BF8-91ED-69E5F1807131.png

1A53E8CB-027E-45C0-A780-22FA9008D28F.jpeg

Last edited:
They wired the cap wrong ... to compensate for the dizzy to be off that much

I would redrop in to align correctly ... even if you remove the cap rotate the dizzy ccw the vac nipple will most likely be pressed up against the side cover

That’s what it looks like to me

Right now your pressing the adjuster in ... as soon as you pull that away timing will jump quite a lot

It’s messed up ... needs to get fixed

@JohnnyC they wired the cap not to match the numbers on the top of the cap but to what’s etched on the side. For example the #1 on top of cap is actually etched with six marks. What would cause the dizzy to be installed this way? It’s been a while since I’ve installed or spun a dizzy...

70AF6E24-8B0D-4A94-B003-43FCF005FCF0.jpeg

7B67EE8E-8D11-433C-AC1F-0260AD5C99C6.jpeg

They were off when they installed the dizzy

They etched the side because they made du with what they did wrong :meh:

It’s the type of thing POs do ... it’s in the PO Manual ... Chapter 2 (Get it to run if you can) in that chapter the Manual says “what ever you do, fix it much later or be ok with your half arse results”

No choke button on the dash? There is no cable on the carb?

I also broke a distributor clamp screw. Get a new clamp, they come with a screw and square captive nut.

In my Haynes manual, the branch of USA FJ40 ignition circuit beyond the switch is Black/Yellow to the igniter and coil. The Hayne's diagram is a totally different illustration. It uses L for (Light purple, which looks blue on the OE wire, because B=Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom