Can you help 15BFT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I'm new to this site and not very mechanically minded and I'm looking for some advice from anybody that can help. I have a 1999 Ceatano optimo 4 bus with a 15BFT engine. The engine cut out recently as if out of fuel, the engine will restart and run for a few seconds and then just fades again. I have had 2 mechanics look at it but without success. Does anybody have any ideas please. P.S. it had plenty of fuel.

I would try a temporary fuel supply to isolate the fuel tank from the engine.

There were 2 other owners of one of these having starting problems. One sold the bus to the other. Is this the same vehicle by any chance?
This was the thread but it was 98 model

What makes the Ceatano Optimo bus different to a Toyota Coaster of the same year? Do they add their own body to a Toyota's chassis?

I would try a temporary fuel supply to isolate the fuel tank from the engine.

There were 2 other owners of one of these having starting problems. One sold the bus to the other. Is this the same vehicle by any chance?
This was the thread but it was 98 model

What makes the Ceatano Optimo bus different to a Toyota Coaster of the same year? Do they add their own body to a Toyota's chassis?
Thanks, this is the same model but not the same bus. Ceatano build the body I believe but as far as I know they are the same as coasters.👍👍👍👍

What did you mean by "bypassed the solenoid"?

What did you mean by "bypassed the solenoid"?
Apparently there is a fuel cut off solenoid between the tank and engine that cuts off the fuel if the bus turns over. This ha been taken out temporarily to eliminate it as a problem. 👍

The fuel cut solenoid is on the back injector pump itself, it can't be removed or you'd never be able to shut down the engine. You can bypass it electrically by running a positive directly to it to rule out any issues with the fuel cut wiring though. They can and do fail and the coil can't pull the plunger back far enough to allow fuel through to start and run

Hi
I own the other one and have the same problem. Mine has an electronic solenoid by the tank just inside of rear axle nearside. It has a pump that has four injector outputs along the top. Fuel shut off on the engine is via a diaphragm that works off the vacuum system. If you look down past the power steering resivour Mine has a very slack priming pump and when time allows I will replace it as the cheapest outcome.

Hi there, I think this is the solenoid that cuts off the fuel if the bus turns over, I have taken this out and the fuel runs directly to the engine for the time being but it is still not working. But from what you are saying this solenoid might be doing a bit more than just cutting the fuel off. Can you please give me your thoughts. Many thanks

Mine has a very slack priming pump

Is it the type of primer pump on top of the filter?

Im so happy you 2 found each and now you each have a fellow owner to talk to :grinpimp:

Like this? they are easy and cheap to find. If this is in poor condition, it maybe leaking air really bad and be the problem or a part of the problem.

1585131289757.png

Hi there
Please confirm that you engin has the rotary injection pump. (I have seen a picture of a B15 with a linear pump but I'm not sure if this was a conversion or not.) Assuming rotary, then check and service the the the cutoff valve on the pump. If this cant be done bypass it by removing it's guts and then try with an elevated fuel supply. If you are very unlucky, then it is the fuel pump within the Injection pump, and frankly if this is stuffed then you pump is stuffed and needs to be rebuilt. Lazy rebuilders seldom redo the fuel pump vanes or check the bore condition. I am convinced that this is the reason why some folks report better performance when fitting and electrical lifter pump.
Seems that the internal pump, if not working properly, can still pressure the injection side of the pump, but struggels to lift, or draw fuel unless assisted by gravity or a external "Lifter pump".
And yes, as Ross said leaks or poor performance of the hand primer ( normally on top of the filter) can cause this problem as well.,

what would be the downside of fitting an electric lifter in the line before the filter and primer. If the primer is leaking the positive pressure would make this obvious if its the lifter mounted on the standard linear pump that is at fault will an additional pump help it or hinder? My primer is a cylindrical one that mounts on top of the filter I think it can be blocked and the electric lifter pump used to bleed the system. Thanks for the facebook link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom