Can we get just the new seal for oil filler cap and PS fluid cap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping I can just buy a new seal to install on my original caps. I've owned this girl since new, and I would like to keep the same oil cap and PS cap my hands have been working with for 30 years. Any way to do that, or will I have to buy a new cap? Can I pull the seal out of a new cap and put in my old one? Thanks in advance.

For a FZJ80 there is a separate rubber gasket available for the oil filler cap but I've never seen a replacement gasket for the power steering pump cap. Maybe a parts guru will know of a substitute??

90430-37140 appears to be the latest number for the oil filler cap gasket

FZJ80 Oil filler cap gasket.JPG

44305-35030 is the cap for the FZJ80 power steering reservoir but no gasket is listed, Maybe cut a new gasket out of a thin sheet of rubber to go over the current gasket??

FZJ80 Power steering reservoir and cap.JPG

Last edited:
i bought a new rubber seal for my oil cap. the old one is solid like a rock

however when i went to replace it, i chickened out due to fear i'd completely destroy the cap in the process. i intend to buy an entire new cap instead.

What? You don't like wiping down the powersteering cap everytime you open the hood?

I thought that was part of owning an old toyota 4x4 lol 😆

For a FZJ80 there is a separate rubber gasket available for the oil filler cap but I've never seen a replacement gasket for the power steering pump cap. Maybe a parts guru will know of a substitute??

90430-37140 appears to be the latest number for the oil filler cap gasket

View attachment 3064759

44305-35030 is the cap for the FZJ80 power steering reservoir but no gasket is listed, Maybe cut a new gasket out of a thin sheet of rubber to go over the current gasket??

View attachment 3064760
Great. Something else I didn't know I needed. I've never owned an 80 with a gasket under either cap.

FWIW, PartSouq shows that oil cap gasket on the parts diagram for the valve cover, but it's not listed for any Land Cruiser; it is, however, listed for 140 other Toyotas...from 1992 until 2012.

Last edited:
The part number I found for the oil filler cap gasket looked to have been superceded a few times. There were two part number options at Partsouq, 90430-37140 appeared to fit.. I've seen that Toyota appears to be narrowing down the number of similar part numbers down to one that fits across many different models.

One example are some straight fuel hoses of different lengths which each had it's own part number, now one part number replaced multiple others, it's cut to fit.

This website shows that the gasket fits the later years (80 series)

But that same number shows not to be correct on the McGeorge website:

Disclaimer: I'm not a parts expert, wait for one of them to chime in

Not an expert by any means, but ordered this from Partsouq. Fit fine and works right.
90430-37004 - Oil Cap Gasket - 2.00 (2020 USD)

edit: +1 on replacing ps res cap - 44305-35030 - CAP SUB-ASSY - 16.30 (also partsouq)

Last edited:
I saw that gasket, 90430-37004, as well as 90430-37140, and some web sites say neither fits and others say both fit??? One website said the -37040 only fit FZJ80's from 1/95 to 1/98. IDK

Good to know one fits apparently.

The part number I found for the oil filler cap gasket looked to have been superceded a few times. There were two part number options at Partsouq, 90430-37140 appeared to fit.. I've seen that Toyota appears to be narrowing down the number of similar part numbers down to one that fits across many different models.

One example are some straight fuel hoses of different lengths which each had it's own part number, now one part number replaced multiple others, it's cut to fit.

This website shows that the gasket fits the later years (80 series)

But that same number shows not to be correct on the McGeorge website:

Disclaimer: I'm not a parts expert, wait for one of them to chime in

This has been going on since the introduction of Parts Reduction Committees in the 1990’s.

Interchangeability and regionalization of part design and manufacture also has a lot to do with there being numerous parts that fit the same assembly (in this case, an oil cap).

D76C7F63-E1DC-49AD-A8CC-0C64949563BD.jpeg

last year i bought 90430-37140 as a replacement seal for my 4/1995 cruiser.

i see no reason why it wouldn't fit perfectly, if i could manage to get the old hardened gasket out of the cap! if i didn't know any better, i would say there isn't even a gasket in the cap as the gasket material and plastic cap appear to be one solid piece.

I noticed issues with Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners for the PS fluid cap. Maybe for Tundras as well. I didn't know the 80 might be affected.

You can remove it, use it as a template, and cut out some rubber to fit. Mechanic friend did that for me on one Tacoma and it held up fine.

i see no reason why it wouldn't fit perfectly, if i could manage to get the old hardened gasket out of the cap! if i didn't know any better, i would say there isn't even a gasket in the cap as the gasket material and plastic cap appear to be one solid piece.
I used 90430-37140 for my 97. Original rubber was hard as plastic and popped right out. Probably a luck thing.

I'm with you - I can't figure out if my cap has an old hard gasket or if the gasket is missing. Can someone post a pic of the cap with the gasket removed?

Easy enough to make a new seal for the power steering cap from some thin rubber.

Which part number is that, 90430-37140 ?

Sorry Not sure, I’m in the middle of my Headgasket job and it is included in the kit.

I previously ordered 90430-37140 so will have something to compare it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom