Can I get your opinions on the rust on this FJ40 I'm looking at? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It does look pretty good from those new pics. Its the right color too to be original paint for that era. I always think they are worth a little more if they are unmolested by previous owners, me (as a previous owner) included. :rolleyes:

Give it a good inspection so you know for sure what you are buying then decide. Its your money and its going to be your cruiser. :hmm: I've seen worse for more than 5k and I've seen better for less. If it turns out that it's solid other than the body sections we've seen, then I bet you would not be the only person to pay 4 to 5k for it. If it were a "no rust" '81 I'm sure someone on this board would pay 10k or more for it.

Those are just my opinions, obviously.

It does look better when you're looking at more than just the rot. I'm not a fan of the whitewalls though :p

If that is the orig. paint and the pics you posted were the worst spots, it is a NICE 40 and worth every bit of 5K running.

Apparently it's the original paint and the truck is a one-owner. The seller bought it new.

I felt good about it. 82 runs great but a few bad spots. This was on here for a while and no one wanted it. I paid $3200 for it and thought that was decent.

It looks great in the pics and I like that color. I'd probably buy it for $3200 if it ran well.

This is a later-model FJ40 and typically the frames are good and the body is shot. Really dig around the interior floors (rear floor @ fenders & front floors) and underneath to ID all the rust. Depending on how bad it's rusted, you may quickly find yourself having to do a 1/2 or 3/4 tub replacement...and if the front mounts are rusted too, you'll end up with a full-tub replacement (like me).

Not for hijacking ,,but TODT..welcome to the Old ARB front bumper club...jajaja..now on the topic here...its a nice 40 that blue one,just check it carefully...with time and point on the money that you have to spend ,try to lower the price..cash money on this economy get the best deals.....

It looks alot like mine did when I bought it... that was 11 years ago and I stole it for $1500.
That was before 'Mud and internet advertising drove the demand and prices up. I would also check the compression etc... for negotiating leverage. A lot can be done on the body relatively inexpensively with a MIG welder and some 18ga sheet metal. I learned to weld while repairing mine. It's still rust free 11 years later. It's therapeutic and you can be proud of what you've done while keeping the tub steel. I would grab a truck in that condition for around $3-4k... i guess. I still think rusty 40's with 100k and typical rust are only worth $2500. I'm probably just stingy and will lose out to those who either don't know what a 40 is worth or have a lot of money and don't care.
semi-rant off

I have learned that rust is generally 10x as bad as it looks cause LC's rust from the inside out generally, at least mine did......if you look at some threads on here there are some guys that have done some great rust repair on the cheap, it just takes time and patience. Did I mention it takes a lot of time and a lot of patience? My cruiser looked similar to yours and was a west coast rig and I ended up replacing the entire rear sides and corners, rear sil, some floorboard, fenders and am still finding rust :rolleyes: How much work are you willing to do?

worth?

b smith123''s "Blue Book"
(for what its worth:lol::lol::lol:)
It's tongue in cheek but I think occasionally close to the mark:

$20-30k +
VEHICLE
Perfectly done or better than new
A restored beauty inside and out

OWNER PROFILE
You have a heated garage with a mirrored floor
You buy cans of "spray mud" for effect
You've worked hard, and hey you deserve this, right?
Supermodels look you up

Off to the club--hazzzah!

REACTION
Drool factor off the chart!
IRS Tax Audit pending

$10-15K

VEHICLE
Really nice in all respects, good original shape
Saved money/time by "buying out" someones work-if done right
Well done mods, not too radical --the usual stuff
A frame up build or body in "desert" condition
Possibly a highly modified rig by a good builder

OWNER PROFILE
You're buying this because you've been down this road before and you know what you want and what it costs
You saved up and got the one you've been wanting

CMON kids---Off to the camp!

REACTION

SCHWEEEEEEEET!
Man, some guys have all the luck!
Write it off,---It is a business expense after all!

$5-9K
VEHICLE
Decent to really good looking rig
might be worn but it's drives well
Capable to use for a good long while before a build
A good off-roader built for function
Big range of condition here from super deals to rip-offs

OWNER PROFILE
Lets get this thing in the dirt and have some fun! Wooo hoooo!
It aint no freakin JEEP!
Got a heater in the truck and I dont give a ......

REACTION
When we going hunting?
The FBI and ATF have noted you as a "person of interest"
You put your whole tax return into this

$1-3k
VEHICLE
Potential, potential, potential!
You want to do a build/project
Hopefully mostly complete especially so at the high end
Good start with sound frame/body
Was running in the previous generation's memory

OWNER PROFILE
Dreams, Ive got my dreams to remember........
You have the sickness, you will be doing a build---here's mud in your eye, and rust, and wire wheel splinters, .......
I can do it myself and save money :)lol::lol::lol:)
it costs so much I have to keep it

Hey kids-- we'll all go camping when I get it finished next year!

REACTION
So where you been lately?
Is that it? In the back of the pile?
I'm sorry sir, your credit card was declined
You ever gonna finish that thing?

VEHICLE
$1k or less
Parts truck
A lawn ornament
I've got all the time in the world

OWNER PROFILE
Insanely misguided
Oh my god! I just spent 20 grand to build a 10K cruiser!
I'll bring some blocks to hold the "trailer " up when we pull er out

Hey boy! You gotta mow around the FJ too

REACTION

Sooooo, what you doing with the other ones?
Purty nice truck, you lookin to trade or sumtin?
You ever gonna start on that thing?
The government pays you to build it as part of the stimulous package

Bsmith:

LMFAO!!!
I'm glad to see someone else bringing Hazzah back too.

You nailed it.
I vote this be added to the FAQ... (just your post) and to every "what's this worth" post, past and future.

I'd buy it. I bought a 78 in very similar condition a year ago, rust included, and I love it. I still need to fix the rust but I have no regrets and I doubt you will either.
best wishes with whatever you do!

Jon:beer:

Would the value change much if this wasn't an 81 but instead was an 83 with factory PS and AC?

One thing for sure. The original price you are paying for the rig will have little impact on how much it is going to cost you.
It like buying a Dog. The cost of the dog is nothing compared to the amount of time, vet bill, food etc.... You love your dog. A fj40 is just like a pet.
Thats it for wisdom by George

Would the value change much if this wasn't an 81 but instead was an 83 with factory PS and AC?

I don't know how to put a price on them but PS and working A/C definitely would make it worth more. I believe that that an '83 model is also more rare than earlier years becasue of the limited numbers sold in the US. So, some folks might be willing to pay more for that as well.

A one owner FJ40 is rare and if you trust the seller then personally, if it were me, I would feel better about spending a little more than I would have otherwise. I can't say how much, its all subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom