Can a failed PCV valve result in oil everywhere??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
Two days ago we were descending into Death Valley, coming in from the West. The check oil light went on intermittently, but that is not abnormal for my 80.

Next morning I went to check on her and found oil all over the undercarriage: covering the front axle, lower oil pan, stabilizer bar, etc. It seemed to be originating up top, coming up around the spark plug boots. The dark spots on the pic are oil dripping on the ground.

oil leak.jpeg

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

I added about 1.5 quarts, which was enough to get us back to Phoenix yesterday. I went in to take a closer look today and pulled the spark plug boots. Lots of oil pooled up in the valve cover tray.

IMG_3537.JPG

I am guessing this is a failed PCV valve, resulting in oil getting pushed up around the spark plug boots, but am shocked at the amount of oil that got sprayed all over the place.

Questions:

(1) Does this look like a PCV failure?
(2) If so, is this amount of oil leakage typical?
(3) Anything else I should check? (I am planning to replace the valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, PCV valve/grommet.)

All thoughts appreciated.

The off valve itself would not cause external oil leak but the grommet or the spark plug tube seals might. Sounds like you are on the right track.

If the PCV is stuck closed, the crankcase can build excessive pressure. This can cause oil leaks from any seal that cannot withstand the additional pressure...

If the PCV is stuck closed, the crankcase can build excessive pressure. This can cause oil leaks from any seal that cannot withstand the additional pressure...
That's my guess as to what happened... have not dealt with this particular issue before though ... appreciate the input

:cheers:

Careful when removing the gromet the valve lives in... pieces like to fall into the valve cover. There are a couple threads of the different methods people use to get them out with minimal problems... I’ll post a link if I find it...

How do I replace pcv valve

I should add, there is a baffle between the PCV and the valve train... if pieces of the gromet fall, it not the end of the world. You just gotta fish them out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom