Builds CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Pop top Prototype (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your points are valid! I will have to give it a shot though, worst case I will have to cut some new plywood and reconfigure.
I will do lots of testing before mounting permanently!
If a person can make it through the sunroof into a camp Tech they should apply for Circus Du Soleil

Seriously though.. I dont doubt that what you are saying is true, I am going to explore the possibility during my install and will make that decision at that time.. its all speculation until my camp-top is installed.
Having only 80 inches of sleeping area makes it a bit tight for having a hatch under your pillow when your wife needs to get below to tinkle!
It would be much easier to lift your legs a bit to give the required room to maneuver. I thought of making a split hatch at the end but the logistics of moving bedding in the middle of the night would make that a pain!

Like I said earlier.. its gonna be a fun summer!

I only had my top for a day before I cut the roof. Before I cut the roof I tried the sunroof access for the novelty of it, it’s doable, but not very practical in my opinion. My wife laughed at me while I crawled in there.

I only had my top for a day before I cut the roof. Before I cut the roof I tried the sunroof access for the novelty of it, it’s doable, but not very practical in my opinion. My wife laughed at me while I crawled in there.

Was it the lack of overhead space or congestion of the seats/center console that made it difficult?

Lack of overhead space mainly. Like I said it’s doable, but I don’t think you’ll be happy with it as a long term solution. If you don’t want to cut your roof just use a ladder as Phil does. If the sunroof hole was in the rear of the vehicle then it would be an awesome way to access the bed.

Lack of overhead space mainly. Like I said it’s doable, but I don’t think you’ll be happy with it as a long term solution. If you don’t want to cut your roof just use a ladder as Phil does. If the sunroof hole was in the rear of the vehicle then it would be an awesome way to access the bed.

FWIW - Even after I cut my roof I will still use mt ladder to get in and out.

I dont really have that luxury, part of the Sell of this project to my wife was that she would be able to change clothes and use the privy inside out of the elements!

I agree with Phil. The benefit of the cut roof isn’t for access to the bed, but to allow more living space in inclement weather.

I'm 6'4" and in pretty good shape.

I tried getting into the Campteq from the sunroof once.

I gave up upon realizing that I might have to call the fire department to extract myself -- an embarrassing distraction of emergency services that would risk staining the interior cloth with whatever torso lube they'd have to use.

Some measurement for the guys thinking about building out the inside.

A 3/4 cut keeps the full back accessible up to the back of the seats

IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG

Side measurements on horizontal at the noted measurement

IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG

Floor measurements from the back of the tailgate forward

IMG_1136.JPG

Landlexus has a really nice bed platform setup. You could put a support lip on the bottom of the long side, then split the short side into two sections so one person could climb down without disturbing the other.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as that is how the troopy's are configured, but then they are something like 15" longer so that works without disturbing pillows and such.
We dont have it so easy!

3/4 is the way to go for me. I'm thinking of interior layout possibilities and was just doing the same as @LandCruiserPhil with the measurements.

I was thinking about a build that would leave one rear seat, but I'm not sure. I'd really like an area to sit, maybe something fold down and a small swing out table for eating or a laptop.

The other side would need to hold the fridge and have a place to put the stove if I needed to cook something inside...

I'd be losing the storage in the arb drawers and haven't figured that out yet.. I'm wondering if this platform is just too small for those ideas ????

What are you planning Phil?

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom