Camp Coffee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

'Scuze my coffee noobness, but wtf is really the difference between "pour over" vs. drip?

And for the record, I pack along a Coleman grill top coffee maker. I'm quite surprised the glass carafe has lasted all these years.

Amazon.com: Coleman Camping Coffee Maker: Sports & Outdoors

No difference. A pour-over is drip. It is a manual, single-serve coffee maker.

I disagree that there is no difference. I think a pour over makes one of the better cups of coffee; up there with a french press or aeropress.
Most automatic drip machines don't ever get to the correct brewing temperature. Manual pour over temperature is controlled by you, which is essential in getting a great cup.
Most autos also do as the name suggests, drip, causing the grind to get over saturated/brewed. With the manual, you control the flow of how quickly you pour to get the right brewing time.
I think to get a good cup, you need the right water temperature, correct grind and correct brewing time. With the manual, you can control what really matters.

A number of years ago a buddy had one of these on a trip. It's now what I use camping as well.View attachment 1125438

Bialetti stove top percolator, been using for decades camping/wheeling. Few means are more robust and reliable.

Last edited:
I'm still using the Aeropress I found out about from this thread and loving the coffee it brews, but there was one thing I discovered that I thought I'd pass along...

After several weeks of drinking this fine brew I began having some trouble sleeping. I noticed that this began after I switched from all home ground beans to store bought ground beans (Peet's Sumatra... yummm) which is much finer than mine. What was happening was, as my french press left grounds in the bottom of the cup, the aeropress put superfine grounds in the cup, but in suspension as you drink it. Very fine grounds passed right through the paper filter it would seem. Which I think may have even contributed to the excellent flavor. I began using two and then three filter sheets and the coffee came out clear of the haziness I had seen before and sleep returned.
Now I use a particular metal mesh filter behind the one paper sheet and all is well.

So if you have symptoms of over caffination with this coffee maker, this may be why.

my new winter project^^^ thanks for the link. That thing is baddas...

Didn't need much encouragement to get out the past week and enjoy the unusually high temps and calm conditions the massive bubble of high pressure has provided the Sierra...

View attachment 1217713
Is that an aluminum worthington 6lb propane tank? I have one that I need to make a mount for the swingout. Do you have any pics of that mount?

the maker of AeroPress was formerly a toymaker
How a toy designer dreamed up the geek-friendly AeroPress coffee maker

But unlike other modern methods for making a hot caffeinated beverage, the AeroPress was dreamed up by an engineer who spent a good chunk of his career making toys and electronics.

After designing flying discs for Parker Brothers, Alan Adler turned his attention to coffee following a conversation with a friend's wife. The two were discussing how hard it was to brew a single cup of decent coffee using a drip machine. That was in 2004. By the following year, Adler had his prototype -- a pair of plastic cylinders that fit together to create an air-tight seal. By forcing the hot water through the grounds at a high pressure, Adler was able to reduce the steep time to as little as 10 seconds (though many will wait up to 30 seconds before pressing the plunger).

I disagree that there is no difference. I think a pour over makes one of the better cups of coffee; up there with a french press or aeropress.
Most automatic drip machines don't ever get to the correct brewing temperature. Manual pour over temperature is controlled by you, which is essential in getting a great cup.
Most autos also do as the name suggests, drip, causing the grind to get over saturated/brewed. With the manual, you control the flow of how quickly you pour to get the right brewing time.
I think to get a good cup, you need the right water temperature, correct grind and correct brewing time. With the manual, you can control what really matters.
Being that I really don't want to read 147 posts, I'm lazy that way so I'm going to throw this out there, if it's already been posted I apologize. So back when it was still safe to travel to Mexico, I was down there alot with large groups. so we would make large amounts of coffee by putting the appropriate amount of grounds in a paper filter and stapling it shut and throwing it in a pot of boiling water. You can make 12 cups or 12 gallons this way you just have to do the math.

Being that I really don't want to read 147 posts, I'm lazy that way so I'm going to throw this out there, if it's already been posted I apologize. So back when it was still safe to travel to Mexico, I was down there alot with large groups. so we would make large amounts of coffee by putting the appropriate amount of grounds in a paper filter and stapling it shut and throwing it in a pot of boiling water. You can make 12 cups or 12 gallons this way you just have to do the math.

I'm thinking quantity, not quality here. Staples! eeek!

I'm thinking quantity, not quality here. Staples! eeek!
Yep staples, just like lipton tea bags, your not putting staples in your coffee cup, it tastes just like drip coffee, after the coffee is to taste you remove the the bags/filters the staples aren't in there long enough to rust, or effect the flavor.

When I do bring a french press, I bring this one since it's insulated stainless.

Is made by Nissan, I've had it for over 10 years and have had to replace the metal filter only once so far. But lately, I've been just using the pour over or aeropress.

I must of got a defective one. That thing fell apart on my only after a few uses!

The new Cleaver Coffee Dripers are really great. Combining all the best qualities of french press and pour over. Our customers love them, we have sold two cases of them in the past month.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCS13IW?psc=1

Last edited:
Well it's three and a half months since my last check in and I'm still using and loving the Aeropress I learned of here. I have two, one for the 80 and one for home. Had two nice big cups today while sitting on a nice big empty beach. The AP is just so perfect for this, it's so small and light you can stash it/hang it anywhere out of the way, then do a quick setup and get a simply awesome cup of coffee

Thanks again Mud.

I haven't done any backpacking since the early 80's so all my camping is vehicle based. We make our coffee like we do at home. Use a Melitta single cup filter holders and #4 filters (cheaper and easier to do your pour). At home, we grind our San Francisco Bay French roast each morning in a burr grinder. When traveling for a week or less, we prepare the grounds at home and understand it won't be quite as fresh by week's end. Depending on the vehicle (RV, van, or LC), we heat our water and do a proper pour over. Whoever made the comment that pour over was weaker than drip had no idea what they were talking about. You control the strength of the coffee and heat of the water. Just today, I'm experimenting with a 20 oz. Ozark Trail tumbler having made a note of where 16 oz falls inside the tumbler. So far, I'm impressed with how cool the outside is and how hot the coffee is inside.

Anyway, all my camping is done under the KISS principle and ease of preparation and ease of clean-up. Hard to beat the single cup pour over method for taste AND ease.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, I no longer doubt myself with my camp percolator. I grew up camping and there was always percolators used for coffee so recently when I outfitted my camp set up I purchased a percolator. Coffee was always just ok but left a lot to be desired. Next trip out I think I'll give pour over a shot and maybe look into buying an aeropress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom