Cam/Crank Seal Wisdom? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to do my second timing belt job and planning on replacing the cam and crank seals. They aren't leaking, but I think it's prudent preventative maintenance.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on installing the seals?

Is a large socket and a hammer the right way to get them seated?

Can they be seated too deep?

Is it a good idea to use a silicone sealant around the outer face?

How many miles in the truck?
Take few pictures of how deep the seal is located.

If you got VVTi then doing the cam seals is not easy. thankfully I got non-VVTi engine.

I always make a small hole right in the middle of the oil seal and then drive small screwdriver bolt making sure it is NOT touching the cam/crank or the outer housing. Then pull the bolt out to remove the seal.

Use OEM seal. Apply some grease onto the inside oil seal lip and simply drive it. No need to apply any sealers to the outside surface.

Not a VVTi. Just looking for a testimonial on how best to seat the seal(s). I can get them out (and I have OEM on hand), but want to make sure I get the seat correctly so they don't leak.

Interesting timing on this post, as someone just earlier stated that the RS cam seal is leaking after their DIY TB job (which included new cam seals). Trying to avoid that. Maybe it's best to leave the originals alone forever? Do they ever fail?

It was awhile ago that I was in there and I remember removal was the job, installation was a snap. IIRC they were not tight fitting on install and bottom into their seat so not much to worry on depth of insertion.. again it was awhile ago but I think that is accurate. I know I used the screw method to remove them and it was simple.

I tried a seal puller but didn't work very well for me. I ended up using a paint can opener and it worked perfect. Take great care not to scratch the surface when pulling them out.

As others mentioned take a few pics. Wish I had because I think I rolled my PS seal. It leaked for a while but I noticed yesterday my undercarriage is drying up.

Good luck, be patient, take your time. There is a great YouTube video of a guy changing it on a ls350 I think but motor is same 2uz.

I drive a small phillips head wood screw into seal (very carefully and slowly) and then use a pair of pliers with a hammer to bang it out from the opposite side. This has worked well in the last timing belt jobs I've done.

To drive it in, I made a tool from old crush sleeves of front differentials and bearing housings. This seats on the lip of the seal very well and I drive it in until it feels it's at home. I do take care to put grease around the inner spring so it doesn't pop out while I'm driving it in.

IMG_2104.jpg

Need some assistance tonight. I'm in the process of replacing cam seals. Driver side has a sensor that needs removing. I've unbolted it, attempted to remove the mounted sensor so I can then pull the backing plate to access seal. It won't budge. I can't locate any specifics in FSM on how to do this, don't want to break anything. Thanks for any direction you can provide.

EB7C633A-C89B-486C-A727-447E6ADC0077.jpeg
Problem solved, you just have to pry the backing plate off once you remove the two bolts. It was just really sticky.

A55CCA09-E9E3-4590-BF8A-85684155429C.jpeg
Here’s more pics- drilled small pilot hole on opposite sides of seal, inserted sheet metal screws (do not use self tapping). Used small pry bar and block of wood, not much force needed. Barely had to protrude through the seal with screws – there is probably a quarter of an inch of space.

Inserting new seal, it mounts exactly flush with collar- of course examine this before you pull the old seals.

97A30A94-2EA6-4DD7-BECE-872C7D40D324.jpeg

To install the crank seal, I got a piece of PVC from Lowe's that matched the diameter of the seal, and a matching PVC end cap for it. I then drilled a centered hole the same size as the crank bolt in the end cap. Then I just used the crank bolt to seat the crank seal with my home-made PVC tool. Just make sure that you mark the end of the crank with a dab of white paint so you can put it back in time if it moves (Not a big deal if it moves, just re-set to the timing marks and go)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom