cable locker gear swap (1 Viewer)

how hard would it be to swap the gears in my cable locker thirds. they're 3.73 and i have a set of thirds that are 4.11, but i've never setup a ring and pinion before. will the ring and pinion have to be setup again? or can i just swap em out somehow.

Ring and Pinion installs always take an installation kit and a whole new set-up (shims, backlash, etc). Also keep in mind that your Tacoma/4 Runner E-locker does not use Tacoma gears. It uses the same gears as 1995-older V6 rear-end.

I was afraid of that. Thanks.

They're landcruiser cable lockers from an hj62, so I'm assuming I order a setup kit for an fj62.

I believe The Dude has done this to his Aus spec HJ61.
There are some parts that need to be changed that are available in the Canadian EPC.
If I were you, I'd call ENS Toyota in Saskatoon...Canada!
Cheers.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star

short answer yes ..

In the right moment that you swap out the ring ( I will use the 3rd with the 4.11 pinion ) you need to setup the correct backlash .. but if you keep the pinion in the factory 3rd have a good chance that the setup come easy.

crushers

post ho

umm
the gear cut is different between the 3.7 ring and the 4.11 ring, you HAVE to use a matched set.

umm
the gear cut is different between the 3.7 ring and the 4.11 ring, you HAVE to use a matched set.

i think he was saying to use a 4.11 third and leave the pinion in it and swap in the locker and install the 4.11 ring. the pinion is already setup and all i would have to do is set the backlash on the ring. does that sound right?

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star

i think he was saying to use a 4.11 third and leave the pinion in it and swap in the locker and install the 4.11 ring. the pinion is already setup and all i would have to do is set the backlash on the ring. does that sound right?
correct .. mess with the pinion stuff it's IMOP more complicated .. and require more knowledge .. ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom