Bypass Heater control valve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just picked up a 1996 that has the HCV bypassed. It's working fine for the winter here in Alaska, but before summer I want to get it back operational. Does anyone have a good photo of how the hoses run or even parts #'s for the hoses of the factory orientation?

Dip ends if you want to continue using your back heater?

‏‏לכידה.JPG

It’s my guess the milder climates would do well with your mod. Us desert rats are just trying to drink enough water in the day before the burros get to it all. :hillbilly:
Its your mod now too

I'm feeling adventurous. We get 100°+ weather here. I'm going to try this bypass, and report back.

I haven't changed the heater valve in my 80, in the 5 years I've owned it, so I know it's a ticking time bomb.
Good Luck!

I forcibly tried this mod after another four seasons but the dust (fun experiment with the aftermarket ones, but the next one will be OEM) somewhere on Sunbonnet while at the hammers recently. Thankfully @nukegoat was there to get a pic of the steam coming out from under my hood which blends so nicely with the desert colors.

12553B95-1EC6-4471-94D1-183B7CD786B7.jpeg

Didn’t feel like screwing with replacing a heater valve so we just put the heater full on to see what would happen.

I have to say it isn’t as bad as I expected, but in anything over 80°F ambient the AC sucks now unless you’re moving.

So I bet those in cooler climates would do well with deleting the heater valve but I’ll be reinstalling one on mine before the temps get too high again.

Quick question, I am in need of a heater control valve for my 94lc and wanted to see if the 95-97 hcv can be used on a 94? Is it compatible?

Quick question, I am in need of a heater control valve for my 94lc and wanted to see if the 95-97 hcv can be used on a 94? Is it compatible?

The valve itself is, but the bracket is different. You will need to unscrew the valve from the bracket and switch it.

Shop around. The last time I looked, partsouq had the 93-94 valve for a few bucks less than the 95-97 valve.

This week I jumped in my 80 and immediately noticed a misfire. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are newish. Wiring harness was routed and wrapped under previous ownership. Took the intake and throttle boddy off to inspect further and saw that my heater valve is leaking coolant directly on the injector. I'm going to change the injector and the plug as the heat has made it brittle and it cracked in my hand as I was fighting with it.

Have any of you who had leaking valve issues lost your #6 injector? Seems like this would happen all the time.

I realize this is an old thread, but don't know why it wasn't suggested to insert a ball valve in place of HCV so that it could still function, manually, hot & cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom