Buzzing sound when starting cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if it's possible to change the fluid to one more tolerant of cold temperatures? I can buy the argument that it could be the sound of the pump cavitating which would indicated that the fluid is too thick at the cold temps.

I'm assuming the PS pump is belt driven, and it doesn't sound like a belt slipping over a pulley that doesn't want to turn.

My noise is related to the RPM's. Only when cold and after driving about a mile. Sounds like it is coming from the right side of the engine. Changed the belts, still there.

Last edited:
It was zero, with -30 wind chill, truck outside. New steering pump about six-eight months ago, nasty noise on start up this morning. But she started, and did well on the ice. 231k+, original head gasket.

Brian and heckboy,

I think you've got something different than the noise we're all talking about. This noise is anything but a hum or a whine (the stepping on a goose analogy is the best I've heard) and it only does this immediately after starting up for a very brief period of time.

I have a noise right after cold start ups too. I was/am wondering what it is. It is just for a couple seconds or so and mine is more towards a rattling and blowing sound than a buzzing sound. Only in cold weather and when cruiser is cold I think.

I will check to see if the noise changes while turning the steering wheel. Mine sounds like it is coming from up around the back of the dash or close to the fire wall. Never have investigated it.

Brian and heckboy,

I think you've got something different than the noise we're all talking about. This noise is anything but a hum or a whine (the stepping on a goose analogy is the best I've heard) and it only does this immediately after starting up for a very brief period of time.

Agreed

Last time I started it up it was definitely coming from driver side, mid to rear engine - sound maybe projecting out of the wheel well?. The wife's been driving it this week so I haven't been able to investigate further.

As for the power steering has anyone changed the fuild to Synthetic PS fuild? I would think changing the fluid alone would help since most people dont change it. Synthetic should be thinner and flow beter in the cold shouldn't it?

I have something similar, but I am 98% sure it is the Torque converter.....I have good reason for that though....

Some of us should pop the hood and listen near the PS pump while a helper starts it cold. Maybe put a hand on the pump and see if a vibration corresponding with the sound can be felt.

I will try and do this and see where the noise at startup on mine is coming from, have my son start it while I listen. I listened a little closer this afternoon and it was maybe toward rear engine area. But really hard to tell in the cab.

The synthetic fluid is a good thought if it is the pump. In theory it makes sense to me.

it should be cold enough here for me to get a video of the noise tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom