Buzz from transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Video from inside and outside. It was rather loud this morning.

Notice the interesting "sputtering" sound at 25 seconds.

I can definitely hear it this time!

I still think an idler pulley. Get a mechanics' stethoscope and check the idler pulleys on the front. The noise can transfer on these. Eliminate those (cheap and easy test) then dig into the more in-depth stuff.

How's your power steering fluid levels?

Also, when you checked your transmission fluid levels did you do it warm (10+ miles), sitting level, and in Park, with engine running?

I can definitely hear it this time!

I still think an idler pulley. Get a mechanics' stethoscope and check the idler pulleys on the front. The noise can transfer on these. Eliminate those (cheap and easy test) then dig into the more in-depth stuff.

How's your power steering fluid levels?

Also, when you checked your transmission fluid levels did you do it warm (10+ miles), sitting level, and in Park, with engine running?

Laughing a bit as I post since we have gone though the same line of thinking.

Idler pulley has been replaced along with the PS pump and fluid.

Truck was warm after 30 min of driving when I checked the transmission level. Right at the hot mark while running.

BOTH idler pulleys? AC and alt?

Check out the transmission solenoid threads and see if there are any similarities there......

Otherwise, I'm thinking transmission pump, but automatic transmissions are NOT my bag, baby!

You can use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope by holding the handle to your ear and place the driving end where you want to hear noise. It works amazingly well and is cheap if you already ow the screwdriver!

Okay another update.

@Cruzilla I got a stethoscope and did some digging. Found some loose bolts on the cat but alas... Not the buzz I was looking for.

I could still hear it most around the bell housing. Kept digging looking for something simple and loose and I saw something shiny.

img_20190615_121833-jpg.2003712

So someone definitely left an 8mm wrench on top of the tranny. Reached up for it from the drivers side. Now there are two questions...

1. Was this the loud rattle at cold starts and the rest of my noise is unrelated?

2. Why was this up there? Clearly someone wanted to tighten something, maybe that's my issue.

:bang:

Last edited:
Let's hope that fixes your rattle, go test drive it and see what happens!

Let's hope that fixes your rattle, go test drive it and see what happens!

It seems like it's better, but there is still some noise there. Won't know for sure until tomorrow. It's only really bad on the first start of the day.

I'm going to see if there are any bolts in the area of the 8mm variety.

How "loose" should the shift linkage be? The nuts are tight but I can wiggle the arm a bit.

What I'm hearing now could be my exhaust gaskets.

Video from inside and outside. It was rather loud this morning.

Notice the interesting "sputtering" sound at 25 seconds.

Did you check all 6 of your Torque Converter bolts, and your heat shields are all tight especially the one on the fire wall and the one under the passenger's seat

Looking at this photo again should there be two bolts there? The threads look awfully clean... I'm trying to find them in a diagram.

Last edited:
Ok I may have an idea, pull the center console and the plastic around the shifter , now look at the sheet metal the holds the shifter to the floor board there are like a dozen bolts holding it down all 10mm

Ok I may have an idea, pull the center console and the plastic around the shifter , now look at the sheet metal the holds the shifter to the floor board there are like a dozen bolts holding it down all 10mm

It seems like the rattle is gone after removing the wrench and I am not going to fiddle with anything else until I can do a cold start tomorrow. If it is still there I will give them a look.

I did check the torque converter / flexplate bolts. They all looked good.

Last edited:
It seems like the rattle is gone after removing the wrench and I am not going to fiddle with anything else until I can do a cold start tomorrow. If it is still there I will give them a look.

I did check the torque converter / flexplate bolts. They all looked good.

Yeah I saw that, it's pretty funny how we freak out if we hear a Phantom noise, there was funny video with E36 BMW guy's talking about thing's going on that really are not :steer:

Glad you found the source. For some time after I first got my first FZJ80 I heard an intermittent faint noise/rattle/vibration, seemed to be coming from below my feet, turned out to be the transmission cooler hard lines rattling and rubbing on the sheet metal in the transmission tunnel. Those lines had never been properly bolted down to their brackets after the PO worked on the engine. FWIW.

Well woke up this morning and the noise is just as bad as ever. Starting to lean more towards an internal issue since I can't seem to track this down but operation remains unaffected.

@Kernal I will take a look for that bracket. I didn't see it earlier guessing it is really tucked up in there.

The noise I heard from the transmission cooler lines was actually not as loud or obvious as the noise you posted up.
Your noise seems more regular, rotational.

Sorry if I missed it, have you checked all the moving bits under the hood; belts, AC idler pulley, alternator, etc
for noises?? I used a section of heater hose as a stethoscope not too long ago to find a noise that was hard to
narrow down just with my ears, turned out to be coming from the rear of the alternator. FWIW.

Last edited:
Well I was agitated I had not solved the issue this morning so I took the dogs out on a hike to relax. 10 miles and 3000ft later and they are finally out so I can work.

They also found me a great Father's day present...

Hope you all had a relaxing weekend and thanks again for helping me track down this noise.

The noise I heard from the transmission cooler lines was actually not as loud or obvious as the noise you posted up.
Your noise seems more regular, rotational.

Sorry if I missed it, have you checked all the moving bits under the hood; belts, AC idler pulley, alternator, etc
for noises?? I used a section of heater hose as a stethoscope not too long ago to find a noise that was hard to
narrow down just with my ears, turned out to be coming from the rear of the alternator. FWIW.

I actually just got all the grime washed off my hands after violating every inch of the engine bay with the stethoscope. I did notice that the crank pulley made a bit of a noise when I went to check the TC bolts (again). More of a creak probably has nothing to do with my issue.

I did get a hand on that transmission hardline bracket you mentioned. That was a fun reach. Seems like everything in that area is secure.

At this point I am pretty close to just biting the bullet and bringing the truck down to Slee to let them work some magic on it.

Those are a couple of good looking dogs. What breed? Nothing bothers me more than noises I can't locate, good luck on figuring it out.

sounds like either the torque converter or the front pump in the trans starting to go. are you getting any abnormal operation from the trans while driving other than the noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom