Buying/Selling - what year, how much, etc. - ask for opinions here (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can put any toyo vin in there and get any and all dealer maint records. So this would be great for future purchases if your looking on ibternet and have vin. I have punched in 5 different vins on LC that I am looking out with less than 50 % of them getting dealer maintained. I think maint records are huge when it really comes down to it. They eithere took care of it or they didnt. Enjoy the sickest link.

Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More

Agreed, but isn't the A-Trac AND a 5speed auto (2003+) more desirable? I am not familiar with VSC...Vehicle Stability Control? I will say that I am biased to the 98-99 locker set up because it is what I'm familiar with. And being from Durango, I do a bit of Slickrock and rock-crawling.

IMO you're right that the 2003+ is more desirable from the capability standpoint, I think that Mr T basically made a "better" vehicle every year (for most people/places). The only caveat to that, for me personally, is that climate controls became more or less inseparable from NAV in 2003+, which means no stereo upgrade (until Rob Red brings us the holy grail) or means you're hosed if the NAV goes out.

I dont blame you for loving the locker :)

ready for this my neighbor has a 08 sequoia that he wants me to buy. He lost his job and I could get for resonable price. Never really thought about a seq since I have had 4runners and land cruisers for the past 20 years. Whats any1 opinion on the new body style of the 08. For the price I could get a 04 or 05 lc. whatcha think ????

LC or LX (canada)

I am in the process of buying a UZJ100. I will first have to sell my (domestic) truck but once that is done, I want to pull the trigger.
I live in Canada and have been looking all over the place and considering my options.
I could try and get one south of the border, but it is a p.i.t.a. to get it here so I prefer a Canadian vehicle.

I saw one offered by RL4X4 and LC is just about exactly how I like it. Well taken care of, nice upgrades etc.. Problem is that it is far away so if i choose to buy it, I will have to do it unseen, add the cost of shipping/getting it and there is the issue of being in a different province so it needs to go through some hoops to get it registered in Ontario. (in case RL4x4 is reading this, yours is still number one in the do want list)

So I am keeping my options open and found this one It is more expensive, but it has been for sale a while and is a lot closer to my home town. It is not a 'looker' like RL4X4 and doesn't have the 'Land Cruiser' Aura (which matters to me), but is younger, better appointed and has less miles.

If found two other ones here and here but seems somewhat dodgy for some reason.

I am in the process of buying a UZJ100. I will first have to sell my (domestic) truck but once that is done, I want to pull the trigger.
I live in Canada and have been looking all over the place and considering my options.
I could try and get one south of the border, but it is a p.i.t.a. to get it here so I prefer a Canadian vehicle.

I saw one offered by RL4X4 and LC is just about exactly how I like it. Well taken care of, nice upgrades etc.. Problem is that it is far away so if i choose to buy it, I will have to do it unseen, add the cost of shipping/getting it and there is the issue of being in a different province so it needs to go through some hoops to get it registered in Ontario. (in case RL4x4 is reading this, yours is still number one in the do want list)

So I am keeping my options open and found this one It is more expensive, but it has been for sale a while and is a lot closer to my home town. It is not a 'looker' like RL4X4 and doesn't have the 'Land Cruiser' Aura (which matters to me), but is younger, better appointed and has less miles.

If found two other ones here and here but seems somewhat dodgy for some reason.

not sure how you feel about PO's, but I like to get mine from people that have owned the rig for more than one year. This gives me a much better idea of how they treated it based on maint records and how they talk about it. The dealer should be able to provide you with a carfax or autocheck and you can see if it was one owner etc, which i'd expect with 67k miles. You can also join Toyota.com and enter the vin and see dealer maint. Im not sure if you can do that with lexus. The 01 LC owner has had it for one year... why?... for an 01 that is like 4k over blue book. If there is a premium up there for a usa rig then disregard my thought on the high price.

click on the link in last post and bang its a beautiful thing

Sure is. Found some great info when I punched my VIN in. The previous owner did the timing belt, brakes, trans fluid, 4x4 service, replaced both exhaust mainfolds (to the tune of $2700 at the dealer in IL! Sheesh.), all cat heat shields replaced...as well as a crap ton of regular oil changes and little things. I'm extremely happy that I have this information now. Makes me feel better about putting off the diffs and trans fluid, too. :cool:

Records go back to 2006 at 90k, and stop in 2010 at 130K. I bought it in October of 2010 at 134k, so I'd say that's a pretty accurate record.

Sure is. Found some great info when I punched my VIN in. The previous owner did the timing belt, brakes, trans fluid, 4x4 service, replaced both exhaust mainfolds (to the tune of $2700 at the dealer in IL! Sheesh.), all cat heat shields replaced...as well as a crap ton of regular oil changes and little things. I'm extremely happy that I have this information now. Makes me feel better about putting off the diffs and trans fluid, too. :cool:

Records go back to 2006 at 90k, and stop in 2010 at 130K. I bought it in October of 2010 at 134k, so I'd say that's a pretty accurate record.

I checked out a 2004 LX470 I want at the Lexus site. Wow! TB/WP at 90k, R&R MFD and inner/outer axle seals/bearings at 105k, looks like some body work. All in all, about 7 pages of history at a top Lexus dealer.

Good stuff, but also has me worried....

Wow whats the worry Dallas??? Alright soooo here we go on my lastest search for LC. I have gone from ealry 100series now I want 03 or an 04. Alright so there is one in south florida beeen there its whole life that means no rust. mileage 75k perfect next navi and dvd not a must but would certainly enjoy having it considering I dont even have heated seats righr now. White which is my first or second choice. Inside looks prisitine non smoker(who even smokes anymore?) Clean carfacts and sutocheck. So of course I want to use toyota/owners.com to see if it has been deakler maintained. Bang boom yes it has now im reading over all the service this guy was premaintive anal retantive owner just what you want. So those are the pros of this ride. Now the bad news and would only know this because I went to this website. Apparently there was some bodywork done on the front fender and bumper with collision and paint work. This work was done at the dealer and there was no record of this on either carfacts or autocheck. So i had placed a bid on ebay but didnt meet the reservre thank goodness. So now that I know all this information the guy that is selling the car had called me earlier sayn that he wanted to sell this b4 auction ended bcus some1 out west wanted this car. Yeah right dude she sounds liek the typical car dealer. So now that I am all ready to fire the bad news to the dealer he goes he begins by saying how perfect the truck is and clean facts and check. I told him the local toyo dealership did all the work and it showed on carfacts that it wasat the dealer but nott for collsion repair. So now who can you trust when your buying a used vehicle?? I ask him to go look and see if he can see anything. So check out toyota/owners.com b4 buying any toyta vehicles my friends. So here we go in search of again.

If the work was lets say fender bender at the mall and dealer did work should I still make a play on the rig or just say no. what do you think boyz

Oh, just what looked like body damage where it said 70% on one part. Not real sure, but new mfd, axle work (think cv's?) and the tb/wp save me a lot of worries. Dealer wants 26.8k asking and I haven't negotiated yet, but I'm going to try. It's my favorite color; the galactic gray or whatever Lexus calls it. What's a fair price?

What is the mileage right now? From your earlier post you state that tb and wp were done at 90k so one can only assume its has over 100k. If that is the case 26.8 sounds high but the dealers start high for a reason so when they do come down some....they look like hereos. So I guess its also safe to assume its a texas vehicle real clean with no rust. I live in new jersey and dont know what a rust free vehicle looks like. Well shot me some information back onthe rig and lets come up with a number you and the dealer both like.

It's either 106 or 116k. It was sold in Dallas and serviced at same dealership its whole life. I'd start at 22-23, but not sure until I can eyeball it.

No worries D-Man

Wow whats the worry Dallas??? Alright soooo here we go on my lastest search for LC. I have gone from ealry 100series now I want 03 or an 04. Alright so there is one in south florida beeen there its whole life that means no rust. mileage 75k perfect next navi and dvd not a must but would certainly enjoy having it considering I dont even have heated seats righr now. White which is my first or second choice. Inside looks prisitine non smoker(who even smokes anymore?) Clean carfacts and sutocheck. So of course I want to use toyota/owners.com to see if it has been deakler maintained. Bang boom yes it has now im reading over all the service this guy was premaintive anal retantive owner just what you want. So those are the pros of this ride. Now the bad news and would only know this because I went to this website. Apparently there was some bodywork done on the front fender and bumper with collision and paint work. This work was done at the dealer and there was no record of this on either carfacts or autocheck. So i had placed a bid on ebay but didnt meet the reservre thank goodness. So now that I know all this information the guy that is selling the car had called me earlier sayn that he wanted to sell this b4 auction ended bcus some1 out west wanted this car. Yeah right dude she sounds liek the typical car dealer. So now that I am all ready to fire the bad news to the dealer he goes he begins by saying how perfect the truck is and clean facts and check. I told him the local toyo dealership did all the work and it showed on carfacts that it wasat the dealer but nott for collsion repair. So now who can you trust when your buying a used vehicle?? I ask him to go look and see if he can see anything. So check out toyota/owners.com b4 buying any toyta vehicles my friends. So here we go in search of again.

If the work was lets say fender bender at the mall and dealer did work should I still make a play on the rig or just say no. what do you think boyz

I think you need to have a body shop check it out to have any sanity. They will be able to tell what the extent of damage was. If the fender was changed etc... , was the bumper bar replaced or just the cover... good questions. If you call a local shop they could go check it out for a small fee. Yes carfax or autocheck will miss alot of these smaller issues as some owners decide to fix it and not involve insurance. It really depends on how picky you are, as I've inspected rigs that had obvious work done and current owner was either not aware or were playing dumb.

not sure how you feel about PO's, but I like to get mine from people that have owned the rig for more than one year. This gives me a much better idea of how they treated it based on maint records and how they talk about it. The dealer should be able to provide you with a carfax or autocheck and you can see if it was one owner etc, which i'd expect with 67k miles. You can also join Toyota.com and enter the vin and see dealer maint. Im not sure if you can do that with lexus. The 01 LC owner has had it for one year... why?... for an 01 that is like 4k over blue book. If there is a premium up there for a usa rig then disregard my thought on the high price.

The PO basically makes or breaks the deal as far as I am concerned. The owner of the LC I am looking at seems to be okay though. He has been on this forum for some time now, is an enthusiast and according to his posts knows what he is talking about. I am sure he has an explanation for not owning it long. He is probably just upgrading. I used to change vehicles every year and I am considered a gearhead that take good care of everything with wheels.
I use carfax to check the history, It helps but it doesn't tell you everything, i.e. only reported damage.
I haven't used toyota.com for a vin check, thanks for the tip.
Problem here is availability. 100 series LC were never offered here, only LX's. I do prefer Land Cruisers but they are hard to find. And I don;t mind paying a premium if the truck is just the way I want. I would probably spend the extra $ on it anyway.
The hunt has not been succesful so far. Not only am I unsuccessful selling my vehicles (to finance this). The only responses I get are scam artists. And every 100 I find interesting are also scams. This has been really diespointing so far. :frown:
In most cases there is a premium up here when comparing prices in the States. I been looking at southern trucks to and they are cheaper sometimes. But I have to get it here which jacks up the final price I pay. So it's probably not worth the hassle.

i didnt visit this one but did get a carfax and a price down from the 17,995 to 15,900. This is a two owner and although it's on the coast now it was in medford Or, (inland) so i suspect no rust. They did send more picts and it looks extremely clean. It did have an exhaust tick on the drivers side. It's a hair over 100k miles and I think the TB was done by the toyota dealer in Medford. I would have went to see this one but I got one off ebay in denver for 12,700. So 3k less but 30k more miles.

Kemp Auto Sales | 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser BASE

Sounds like you did well RobB. As far as Deltas problem. I agree 110% about paying more if the vehicle is right. You know when it is by no smell or stains gargage kept and maint records. Some people just know how to take care of there cars and some dont. I have noticed checking the vins at toyota.com that over 60% of LC owners have there vehicles serviced at the dealer when its new and whenyou pay all that money you want it to last. It can certainly take a while when your search for that vehicle. In an earlier post I was looking at a 2000 with 130 super clean maintence reocords. They were asking 12k for it and it was a trade in so in most cases if they dont sell it will make it up to the auction. My buddy who goes up to the auctions says that it would probably go for 10k. Crazy right those dealers have it made. The reason I didnt jump on the 2000 was becasue of the known tranny issues for that year. After doing more reading I am headed towards a 03-04 and if the price is right 05.

Thanks Chris,

I'll check those out

I think I'm actually focusing on 98's & 99's due to the rear locker. I've never had a cruiser with a front locker (or A-Trac for that matter) and 2 with just rear lockers and have never found myself in over my head with that set up. That and the 98's and 99's are going to be the least expensive (at the potential cost of mileage) and if I'm going to trade Norman out, I want to maximize the ability to get a lift on it and some tires to start out with...I won't abide sitting on the deck after having the vantage I've had for a while. I wouldn't even be afraid of 170+K if the belt had been done...

Corbet also says the locker-atrac combo is cool, plus the 5spd Autos after 03 but then you are getting into a vehicle that is in the 12-18K it seems...

Whatever it is, it will have to be sweet to let go of Norman.

Did any 98 or 99 Lexus 470's come with rear locker?

Note that if you wheel it you will want to install a front locker for stability so the front diff doesn't break. Doesn't mean you have to use it :D it's structural

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom