Buying 2001-2007 out of state (Ca) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.scottparsley.com
I'm interested in adding a 100 series or a LX470 to our Toyota collection. We've got a third kid on the way and the little Rav4 and my janky old 40 series Cruisers aren't going to cut it any longer. One thing I'm unsure about is if I'm going to be able to buy out of state. The ones I'm finding for sale in my area (SF Bay Area) are either undesirable or overpriced. My question is, are these vehicles all 50 state emissions? Being able to buy out of state could drastically increase my odds of finding what I want for a good price.

One more question for you guys, It seems to me that the Lexus is consistently a little less expensive to buy. Is there a reason for that? With the exception of the headlights and grill on the Lexus, I like both vehicles.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to actually get one of these Cruisers.

I had no problem registering my out of state rig in CA. For a while there were some MB and VW diesel models that were "49 state legal." I'm quite certain that all 100 series that were sold in the US are 50 state legal.

One more question for you guys, It seems to me that the Lexus is consistently a little less expensive to buy. Is there a reason for that? With the exception of the headlights and grill on the Lexus, I like both vehicles.

I'm of the opinion it has more to do with more LX's were sold in the states from 2001 - 2006 and most would rather have the LC. I just so happen to have one of each :)

LX470 US Sales:

upload_2016-12-30_17-7-7.png

Land Cruiser US Sales:

upload_2016-12-30_17-7-48.png

^ supply vs. demand.

I have bought 3 out of state vehicles. Very simple process with the Ca DMV...bring the car to the DMV, appointment is recommended, they inspect the vin# and other plates and they process the paperwork. make sure all the smog plates from the factory are on the vehicle. AAA can't register an out of state vehicle initially, just found that out myself.

Other way round down here in OZ. The LX is far more exclusive. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the extra sound deadening, laminated glass, thicker leathers, better stereo, better paint, real Yamaha timber, chrome interior doorhandles, HID projector headlights, Timber steering wheel and the ability to service at Lexus or Toyota depending on ones whim is missing out. Not to mention you have more Kudos at the country club and equal prowess off-road. It's a no brainer to me.

Both great vehicles and if you are taking it to hell then of course I say get the cruiser, otherwise you may aswell get the works burger.

Currently on our trader site there is about 10-12 update LX's for sale and 120+ cruisers.

You must be patient. Deals are out there. I live in Hawaii and searched for a month. Bought my 2000 LC in the Bay Area last year for 8k cash. It had all service records from day one.

Suggest have codes read on out-of-state rigs. Can't remember what year this kicked in, but newer models are smog inspected by OBD code reading only (I believe).

Maybe take a code reader with you to verify what you have been told by the seller.

Not sure if the cheapo BT readers will give all the pertinent smog codes. May need a techstream set-up.

image.jpg
image.jpg
180k with the last 90k service done at 150k miles. Interior is in good shape for its age. No ripped seats or anything. Couple kid stains. It has a few good dents but dents give it character and drop the price dramatically. I wanted a meticulously maintained rig. Dents are superficial
You gotta search use craigslist and look hard. Search Landcruiser and land cruiser and be dillagent. Search everyday! Good deals go quick and you might not even see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom