Builds Buster Brown-Slow maintenance, slow owner, slowing my roll way down. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings 60 Forum, I am used to navigating the 80 section with my 1997 80 series.

Today at 6PM I will be the proud new owner of Buster Brown, a 1982 FJ60 2F mated to a H55F 5 speed. This ongoing saga should chronicle my talents (or lack thereof) in bringing this fine beast back to life. I would not be able to complete a lot of the improvements without the MUD collective knowledge so I thank you in advance for any help you may provide this wayward soul on my journey with smog pumps, carb adjustments, gas tank issues, and seat belt recalls.

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

I saw, maybe touching base with you if the local Toyota dealer gives me grief on the gas tank recall. Happy to read of your success.

I saw, maybe touching base with you if the local Toyota dealer gives me grief on the gas tank recall. Happy to read of your success.

Call them and have them run the VIN to see if it has any open recalls before mentioning you want your gas tank replaced.

Thanks for saving Buster

Some pictures now that I am the owner. More like this thing will own me...

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

Tuffy console with cup holders. A novel idea in the 80 series.

IMG_6562.JPG

IMG_6563.JPG

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG

Elbow grease will be needed. 55 gallon drum of it to be exact.

IMG_6566.JPG

IMG_6567.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

Carb has been partially de-smogged. No air pump in the bay, re manufactured one provided with truck.

IMG_6569.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6572.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome looking forward to seeing the progress.
Don't know if you'll need smog or not.
But be very careful if you decide to run the reman pump, they are all junk.
The only time my 60 left me stranded is when my reman (NAPA) pump seized. It had 1200 miles on it.
There are multiple threads about pumps seizing. I gutted the pump and ran it that way without issues.

Virginia doesn't do smog so the PO took off the smog pump. In the FSM, there are two ways to run belts. One diagram showed with smog, the other was without. There was a box o parts included in the purchase and one of the belts just so happened to fit.

So now Buster will get fresh non-ethanol gas this evening with a new fuel filter. How does one prime a carb? I filled the carb with cleaner last night, cranked with a short start, and let it sit overnight. I am assuming I will crack the nut holding the fuel line, disconnect the igniter, crank until I see gas spewing out the line, tighten and fire her up. That simple huh?

You don't even need to do that. Just crank away!

Looking forward to what you do with it!

Looking forward to seeing Buster come back to life, he's the same color as my cruiser...and you're ahead of me already because Buster is licensed.

Whats the mileage on that 2F?

You have a great starting point, Thanks for taking on a resurrection project. Looks like most of the surface stuff will buff out. Crazy how it was returning to the earth from which it came. You will be greatly rewarded someday:).

So last night Buster ROARED to life. The only issue is that I can not get her to idle. It is either me under the hood pumping the throttle on the California compliant carb or a slow stall. I replaced the cracked fuel filter before getting started so I can rule that out. On to PCV (not PVC) and vacuum hoses. I am sure its a vacuum leak somewhere causing the issue. The fuel pump seemed to deliver enough fuel so I will hold out on that purchase for now. Is it wrong of me to be so excited when I saw the fuel mist in that carb? I mean, teenage boy excited! SCHAAAAAWING!

Buster does seem to be in good shape on the outside minus the normal rear quarter panel rust. I used a little Simple Green on the side of the truck and was amazed how it looked. I will plan on giving it a good bath, rubbing compound, clay bar, and wax in the distant future. It seems like it has been repainted somewhere down the line because there is over spray on the rubber window gaskets. The purple tint on the windows has to go. I removed some from the rear passenger window last night. It will be replaced with 50% black limo tint on the rear sides and 35% on the rear window (highest % allowed in VA).

The tires are too wide and old for my liking so I will be on the lookout for five FJ steel rims. I want pizza cutters for this truck. Have to research the tallest skinniest size the MUD collective has fit in the past. Haven't even tackled the brakes yet. That comes after the engine. Wanting to go from drum to disc brakes so I will also hold out on any improvements to the system and be on the lookout for an old mini truck axle to strip of its parts. 2 out of 4 drums will stop this beast, right?

Last night I was reading the old paper work that was provided. The engine "blew" around 200K in 2001. The 2F head original to the truck was toast so a domed 2F head was milled down and used. The paperwork assured the PO that it was stronger than the other one that "blew". In addition, it was expected to have slightly less compression that was not going to be noticeable. Radiator, starter, fuel pump, smog pump, and ??? were all replaced when the engine was rebuilt. Maybe Buster needs a new name, thinking the "Six Million Dollar Man". We can rebuild him, we have the technology, he will be better, faster, and able to climb more hills than before. Ha! Odometer was at 220K in 2003 when PO purchased and presently sits at 237K today.

The H55F was an add on in the early 2000's and is a man-a-fre heavy duty rebuild. The drive shafts were remeasured, cut, and balanced. It also has a spectre offroad 3" greasable shackle lift. All that work was done in California.

It is nice to read of the transformation Buster has been through, yet a little normal frustration arises when I look under the hood. I'm wondering how the added on A/C works (not how you would think) and if the belt routing will spin the alternator fast enough to get to 14 volts (currently looks like 12volts according the uber accurate dash voltmeter).

Good times. Already had my first two dinners on the tailgate. Triscuit and EZ Cheese Monday night, pizza last night. Oh the possibilities when I get my camp stove in there!

Last edited:
In addition, I have called the local Toyota dealership and Buster is eligible for both recalls. Seatbelts and gas tank. The recall is subject to parts availability of course. I did let Jim at Steven Toyota-Harrisonburg, VA know that a fellow brother (@Ian Crawford -calling you out!) was able to complete the recall successfully. Jim was real easy to get along with, I hope that continues.

The purple tint on the windows has to go. I removed some from the rear passenger window last night.

Use a steamer, works sell well. Peels off like cellophane. Don't even waste your time with the ammonia spray.

I will be on the lookout for five FJ steel rims. I want pizza cutters for this truck.

I may have a spare set if you find yourself in Kentucky!

In addition, I have called the local Toyota dealership and Buster is eligible for both recalls. Seatbelts and gas tank. The recall is subject to parts availability of course. I did let Jim at Steven Toyota-Harrisonburg, VA know that a fellow brother (@Ian Crawford -calling you out!) was able to complete the recall successfully. Jim was real easy to get along with, I hope that continues.

Awesome! The one thing I did do (I also recommend) order a new sending unit and fuel pickup from CruiserParts.com (that's where I got mine), otherwise they reuse the old stuff. Mine was toast so I had no choice.

Thanks Ian. Where in Kentucky? Imagine you are close to Louisville to deal with Oxmoor. I sense a road trip coming :bounce:

PM me on the rims, maybe I could take them off your hands. Can I put the hub caps over them? I think that look is "choice".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom