Burning oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2001 LC has a smell when going highway speeds. I’m not good with what smells like what but my buddy said it smelt like burning oil. The oil pressure gauge has been reading fine. What do y’all think it could be?

May be driveshafts/Ujoints slinging grease onto muffler. Common after greasing either.

Have you opened the hood and investigated yet? There’s tons of stuff that could leak.

Look around, but I'll bet its the transfer case output shaft seals are leaking and flinging oil on the exhaust. If so, AT-205 added to fresh gear oil will have a good chance of stopping the leak. It worked for 40k miles for me. Then you get to drop the transfer case to place the front seal if its the offender.

Look around, but I'll bet its the transfer case output shaft seals are leaking and flinging oil on the exhaust. If so, AT-205 added to fresh gear oil will have a good chance of stopping the leak. It worked for 40k miles for me. Then you get to drop the transfer case to place the front seal if its the offender.
Ok I’ll definitely give that a try and see what I figure out. Thanks for the help

Would be one of my first guesses but it’s typically extremely easy to see that.
Pretty good chance its your valve cover gaskets leaking onto the manifold. I had the same problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom