Bumpers, Sliders and Spacers.. oh my.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks guys...

KRAZIKRAKER
I was thinking about chopping up my ARB to try and pull it in a little and trim the bottom to bring it up, But they have do such a good job with the lines on the ARB, I really didn't want to ruin it..
As for the Supercharger, I got it after the truck and installed it myself. The kit is really easy to install but I think you could make a bracket and install a Vortec or similar SC above the exhaust manifold without to many problems.
good luck..
Bret

Hefty
I use my rig on the trails, but I have a great spotter and almost never smash into anything, my front bumper was designed to be very high up and it will most likely never touch anything except bugs.. :).. If you measure an ARB you will find that it is .120 plate on the wings just like mine, but mine is .250 on the supports and the ARB is only 3/16. I do know what I am talking about since I just sold my ARB front bumper to build this one. The only thing about the ARB that is stronger it the tube across the top, it really helps stiffen the entire bumper up a lot.. I was planning to put some tube on mine but I ended up really liking it without it..
The sliders could get dented if you landed with all the weight on them, but that's not how I wheel.. and in the event I get into a bad situation and need to really smack them I think (hope) they will protect the soft parts.

i disagree
the outriggers on these sliders are beef and welded. slider will dent if hit hard but will not bend. i build my first set of 80 sliders from 1/4" outriggers and 3/16 box tube for main slider. just too beefy. i now run .120 tube for slider and 3/16" for outrigger and they cant be dammaged significantly

and how aften does your front bumper take much of any hit?-especially if tucked up tight like these. they wont be dammaged to any significance.

think light for 80 builds

Dusty
that how I fell about armor also, but some people beat the hell out of their stuff and need some thick stuff.. I on the other hand try and use finesse.. :)
Bret, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. It was just my opinion and I'm sure if you read my post that I did compliment the design and your work. As far as the ARB bumpers being the same your correct. I have seen the ARBs fold up in minor hits.

From a production stand point (this is what I do!) I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a bumper made with that thin of material for off road use. It only takes one good hit to cause damage. Again I really like the design but you did ask for opinions. Everything will work for mild to moderate off road use. We build our products to be abused. I personally don't baby my truck off road but I don't beat the snot out of it either.

Dusty, Think light for 80 builds? We're talking about a 6000lb truck. there is no light about it. That much weight will put the sliders to the test. I don't feel as though they will fold up, but dent, yes. As far as how often do people contact their front bumpers? Well, that is completely dependent upon the type of wheeling and the terrain. I personally contact my front bumper frequently and my sliders see a tremendous amount of abuse. Thats with the truck running on 8 inches of lift on 38's but that should tell you the type of wheeling I do. I have 27 inches between the ground and my sliders and over 30 between the ground and the bottom of my bumper. Everyone uses their trucks differently.

Again, I didn't mean to offend and think that everything looks great.

Hefty
no offense taken.. really none.. I respect your opinion, before I built them I had to look at what I do with my rig and then build them to suit.
When I post things on mud I understand that we all have our own ideas of what a rig should be and what it should be built to do, having said that, EVERYONES has good info to contribute to mud and I am open to all of it....
sounds like you rig is a monster!! keep the rubber side down..
thanks Bret

Bret, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. .

no offense this is just talk.

but seriously i think we have a tendancy to overbuild. if we didnt make these things so heavy we wouldnt need so much armour

i removed my rear bumper completely and trimmed my front to bare bones. then went with lighter sliders. saved 200lbs in the process. before i added axles to my truck i stripped it of all bumpers and sliders and ran stock wheels. the experiance wowed me. i had forgotten how an 80 could be

80 weighs 4700 lbs stock. tj is 3700. so strip down an 80 and it weighs about like an uparmored tj

Very nice... what wheels are those and what size?

American racing 17x8.5 with 1 inch spacers..

Nice

.....and clean. I like the minimalist look. Good work bro!:lol:

this rig is awesome!!! soo clean...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom