Skids and Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi again,

Just picked up a '94 and it is nicely modded (3x locked by slee, chromoly axles), but badly needs sliders and possibly some skid protection.

It will be a trail rig, with rare on street use (running for parts, that sort of thing).

I don't need fancy, but I do want good protection. I want bump outs to help pivot around obstacles. I'd prefer bolt on with plates on the frame rather than weld on to the frame. I want true sliders, not step sliders. I don't need a top plate.

I don't mind welding a kit up myself, but am also happy to pay for having it done by a pro. Unpainted is fine. Rustoleum professional enamel works well.

Skids - it doesn't seem like the 80 needs much. What do people recommend?

My trail use is mostly eastern rocks and ledges, but lately I've been going to CO or UT when I can. I max out on fins and things, hells revenge and poison spider. I am not up to rose garden or the escalator.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune if at all possible.

What do people think of the White Knuckle Offroad option for sliders and skid?

Thanks!

The White Knuckle sliders are what I’ve been bashing since 2014. They are stout and have what most consider to be a very good CAT protector. I’ve seen posts lately concerning difficulty in communicating with wkor though.

I run simple Cruisin off-road trans and transfer case skid plates. Many members like the skid plates that replace the trans mount/cross member. I like being able to drop the skid plates for access.

Thanks, @baldilocks.

Unfortunately it looks like Cruisin' Offroad is closed down. They look like solid protection from the posts I looked up.

Here you go. These are one of the best you can get IMO.

Just put mine on last week. Nice and simple and works great!! Fast and reasonable shipping also.

White Knuckle Off Road have been solid for me. Have taken tons of direct hits/drops and just need some touch up paint

Oh and I've ran those trails you mentioned plus more in Moab and haven't had a problem without skids

Creeper skid looks solid...mine came from PO with the Slee which is beefy too. I have the WKOR sliders and really like the option to have them in DOM tubing for piece of mind. Haven't crunched mine yet, and not really excited to do so as I want to enjoy my rig but not bash the hell out of it. The only thing on the WKOR on the 94 is that I changed to the Magnaflow cats and they are quite a bit smaller than the OEM, so leaves an unnecessary gap there, which seems to be the low point overall. Definitely not a WKOR issue, but I may pull at some time and have the skid raised up about 4-6" by a pro welder that does frame work near me (did a Taco frame repair for my son and was super solid). I also like the bolt on, choice for a shorter version to keep my mud flaps, and choice of angle (I chose the steeper angle rather than flat).

You can judge the gap to the cats better here...

I run the WKOR sliders and the GIS DIY skid plate with trans pan.
Both are hell-for-stout.

My SLEE belly skid has taken a beating, it is the second one I have had. They also make a rear elocker skid.

Rear quarters are vulnerable on 80’s, think about that when buying a rear bumper.

Rear lower control arms are also vulnerable and over time their frame side mounts.

Cheers

Thanks for the info everyone.

I just put in an order with Trail Tailor for skids and RLCA skids. I've appreciated the build quality of everything I've ever purchased from Trail Tailor and expect these to be great too.

I think I'll put an order in today with WKOR for sliders. Agree that they are consumable, but worth spending a little on too. The ones on my 200 have gotten a lot of use.

Lockers are ARBs, so no external actuator to protect.

I'll consider rear quarter protection on the rear bumpers. I'll probably go custom on those and integrate protective hoops.

WKOR DOM 10deg full length (no flaps) Full dimple top plate, DIY paint

WKOS.jpg

Looks STOUT!

Call them and see what the lead time is.
Good idea. I ordered the Trail Tailor yesterday though, and I've had good luck with Jason's products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom