Bump it offroad tube bumper with extra hoops. Feedback please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like it the way it is and with the extra tubing. A while back I emailed Mike at Bumpit and he said he could add whatever tubing one might want. I specifically asked about adding tubing like what he has on his 100 series plate bumper. If I ever get a job......

Obviously a moose or an elk would inhilate an ARB and possibly throw the animal through the windshield, but I wonder if it could hold it's own against deer.

why do you say "obviously"? do you have experience or know of someone who has hit either a moose or an elk?

flex is not necessarily bad. your frame flexes. it helps keep it from cracking. i've bent an arb in a hard hit on a big rock after a poor decision from my spotter. i know from experience what an arb will take and i will take an arb over a small tube bumper anyday on a fat rig like an 80.

besides, i don't like the unfinished look of the tube only bumpers.

Ditch the extra tube, but you may want to consider getting some 1/8" plate and welding that BEHIND the tube to close off the exposed areas but it would still retain that tubed look. It might take some plasma cuts to make the plates, but it would look really cool.

The grayed areas would be thin plate that would go inside the tube towards the grill.
Its funny that I just came across this post and this photo because I just sent an email request to Mike this morning asking for a quote for nearly the exact same thing, the extra hoops on top and all the open areas closed in with expanded metal mesh, this will offer protection from branches, sticks etc.. but still allow air flow and keep it light. I am waiting for a quote back from him now and if he will do it I will be ordering this week...

Its funny that I just came across this post and this photo because I just sent an email request to Mike this morning asking for a quote for nearly the exact same thing, the extra hoops on top and all the open areas closed in with expanded metal mesh, this will offer protection from branches, sticks etc.. but still allow air flow and keep it light. I am waiting for a quote back from him now and if he will do it I will be ordering this week...

Interested in the same info. Mind sharing his feedback when ya hear it?

No problem, will send a PM with info once I hear back, I am hoping to hear back soon as I would like to get this ordered as soon as possible.

The tube bumpers are nice for more approach angle on rocks ect... I have the ARB and it definetly hangs down lower, but I too would rather have the extra protection. After all this is my only child we're talking about here!

I would say I agree with the "ultimate protection" of an ARB. or TJM, Shortbus etc.. but we cant kid ourselves that a rugged tube bumper like the BIO or Metal Tech is going to offer far superior protection over stock and is much lighter and tighter than the big Gommy ARB etc... And in my Opinion I like the look of a Tube bumper as long as it is finished i.e. the filled in plate or mesh.. Sometime we compromise, for me the tube works, but to each their own..

I got a reply from Mike and he said no problem with adding the mesh that I wanted and said that kind of stuff was quoted by the hour so somewhere between $50 -$100. As far as the additional tube work he mentioned due to the small space that he could not make that sharp of a bend with 1.75 inch tube, he would have to do it with 1 inch, which would look a little strange with the rest of the bumper being 1.75 so I have opted to leave it out and just add the mesh..

I got a reply from Mike and he said no problem with adding the mesh that I wanted and said that kind of stuff was quoted by the hour so somewhere between $50 -$100. As far as the additional tube work he mentioned due to the small space that he could not make that sharp of a bend with 1.75 inch tube, he would have to do it with 1 inch, which would look a little strange with the rest of the bumper being 1.75 so I have opted to leave it out and just add the mesh..

I just welded some tabs to the tubing then shaped some aluminum (not a BIO bumper), its got cutouts near the center so I can loop a pull strap or winch cable through it if I dont feel like putting it in the truck or spooling up.

I notched out the grill and lower sheet metal to get the 8274 tight up near the rad, and used reciever tube on both side behind the recovery points, you may be able to just see a void behind them, but it allows me to attach stuff to the front if I ever wanted.

6a4f85d0.jpg

Here is a photo of my bumper at Mikes just before it shipped last week, I did not get any additional tube work but as you can see he installed some metal mesh in the open areas. I hope to have it painted and installed this week and will post a photo of it on the rig when I get it done. Im thinking I will paint it to match the flares on the LX450..
Bumper_zpsf5801ecb.jpeg

That tube bumper looks really good.

Bump to see the finished bumper mounted.

How much did he charge for the mesh?

Finished, and 100 bucks.

ForumRunner_20130420_091315.jpg

ForumRunner_20130420_091410.jpg

ForumRunner_20130420_091434.jpg

ForumRunner_20130420_091315.jpg

ForumRunner_20130420_091410.jpg

ForumRunner_20130420_091434.jpg

looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom