Building a 1999-6/2009 79 series cluster with tachometer and subtank from parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a combination of glue and the plastic head is melted on the back.

@coldtaco the pin is intact on the original speedometer face. If I want to use the miles per hour overlay all by itself, I either need to get another pin, make a pin, or get the plastic pen out of the existing gage face without destroying either part.

Glad to see closure ahead on this soon. Many uses of your bedroom floor await you that are not contingent on some small pin. 😀

@coldtaco the pin is intact on the original speedometer face. If I want to use the miles per hour overlay all by itself, I either need to get another pin, make a pin, or get the plastic pen out of the existing gage face without destroying either part.
Is the original speedometer display plastic?

Can you just make a hole for where that pin is and Slide Over it?

@Gun Runner 5 the face is thin plastic.

@woytovich yes. Getting the needle off is the only hard part. If you’re just putting an overlay on top, the whole process will take less than 15 minutes.

@coldtaco there is already a hole for the pin, but if you put the overlay on top of the existing plastic face, it does not illuminate very well. There is interference from the underlying gauge face.

@Gun Runner 5 the face is thin plastic.
————————————————————————————
My my possible solution just went down the crapper. 😊
I was going to suggest (carefully) applying heat, perhaps with a soldering gun, to the back side of the pin to soften up the tab.

The speedometer needle rest pin is the next battle. View attachment 3221520View attachment 3221519

Thanks to the big old brain of @ATL Cruiser I found a dedicated automotive instrument cluster repair shop here in Austin. I will ping them tomorrow and see if they have a replacement, and the right tools for the job.

Just putting the overlay over top of the existing kilometers per hour gauge face produces disappointing lighting results.

View attachment 3221521
If the repair shop doesn’t have a good solution, I will either 3D print one (AKA convince @davegonz to print me one), or just glue a black painted finishing nail onto the overlay.
I can do that.

Mark.
He needs the needle stop pin swapped over

Yes... My question is is it difficult to pull off the kilometer face and add in the miles per hour face. Given that putting one on top of the other will result in terrible illumination.
I understand the pin is a separate problem.

Mark, changing the face is trivial. 1/4 banana job.

Next steps:

The speedometer mph overlay (part C1690) arrived today from Lockwood International. It is very nicely constructed and was a perfect fit.

View attachment 3221493

I popped the needle off with two plastic levers from a cheapo Amazon door trim kit. It made a loud enough SNAP to be butthole tightening.

View attachment 3221494

View attachment 3221495View attachment 3221496

I illuminated it from behind with a white LED light, and that was pretty rewarding.

View attachment 3221497
I just noticed that the original KPH and the replacement KPH have different scales... the original is a 180kph max and the replacement is a 200kph max. Will you use some sort of gearing to true up the speedometer?

Joel, I have a speedo correction unit from @Lutz Auto. I’ll zero it in with that.

Dude, it’s not OCD. It’s CDO, with the letters in their proper order, the way they should be.

Dude, it’s not OCD. It’s CDO, with the letters in their proper order, the way they should be.

Hello,

In other words, we are all anal when it is about our Land Cruisers.

Maybe it is because these trucks suit quiet, maniacal personalities?

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom