Build It Or Buy It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the work was done properly, 100% buy it. You can upgrade/replace parts you don’t love, but an aux fuel tank is a big expense (about $6k installed), so that’s a huge plus right there.

Buy it, live with it for a season or two, then fine tune it

My LRA tank install was $3K total.

How long ago? Both slee and tav quoted me $6k (I’m having slee do it in January)

Last year. I live locally to LRA and had them do it. I do think Slee upgrades a few fittings and the pump over the stuff it comes with. Whether or not that's worth the additional $3K I'm not sure.

Isn't just the tank $2400? So they did the install for you for $600? That's like 3-4 hours of labor to charge, which is an incredible steal. I don't know of any shop that can do it that fast, or is willing to eat a huge amount of their labor to install it that cheaply

Isn't just the tank $2400? So they did the install for you for $600? That's like 3-4 hours of labor to charge, which is an incredible steal. I don't know of any shop that can do it that fast, or is willing to eat a huge amount of their labor to install it that cheaply

Well I bought it last year during their BF sale. I forget how much it was exactly but it took the tank price down to like $1800 and they did the install for $1200. Round about those numbers IIRC.

Even $1200 for labor seems cheap. Most shops are charging at least $150/hour, so that's 8 hours of labor, 6 hours if they charge $200/hour...

The price of an LRA tank and install alone are reasons to consider buying “pre-built” (by a high quality/reputable shop).

Of all the accessories on my LC, the aux fuel tank by far has been worth it—and most useful for our camping/exploration trips.

This is a tough one that depends on so many variables, the quality of the work that was done being the biggest one for us. I’ve modified most of my vehicles and I’ve worked in motor and machine shops so I’m no stranger to turning wrenches. All this to say that we bought our Cruiser built. We wanted something turn key and we had a big list of electrical work done and this would be my weakest skill set. For us our spare time was worth more than the cost of having this stuff done and we had a 3 and 4 year old when we ordered the Cruiser so we chose to use our free time doing family stuff instead of dad under the truck while mommy was home.

The one main downfall to this is doing new modifications or troubleshooting anything should the issue arise. That being said this has been rare and the shop has been so responsive when it did happen that it’s been a non issue really. This forum also helps with stuff like how to adjust my dissent rear bumper which I’m still needing to do.

Unless the mods were installed by a reputable place (e.g., Slee) I would not buy the built-up one. Why? I've bought built-up, and have since un- and re-installed nearly everything. This was my naive buy, and I will never do that again. Assume everything is done incorrectly or poorly, again, unless you have 100% confidence in the origin of the installation or you trust seller w/ your life. Take the near-stocker, do a few of the most needful things (lockers before lights, sliders, extra fuel measures via Jerrys or AUX tank, tire carrier/bumper(s), winch, good floor mats, ADGU or similar lightweight drawers, slim roof rack and wind dam, cargo divider and so on). Many of these can be self-installed after careful MUDstudy and a little help from your friends. Yes, it takes time, but you'll know your truck better, which never doesn't come in handy on the trail. That built truck has 99.9% chance of damaged air circ damper actuator arm, which the trained eye can see just by looking at it. Also, lower miles should bias the decision.

EDIT/UPDATE: Yeah, go find another built truck to buy, if that's your path. I took another look at the 2015, and there is waaaaay too much shiny goo on those tires to trust. The rear bumper, as mentioned above, is all Steve Erkel. Those sliders: no. And after you spend a little bit of time on here, the placement of the Heritage badges will drive.you.up.the.wall whenever you cast your gaze upon them, which will be 100% of the time.

If you are near Cruiser Outfitters, have them do a nice suspension upgrade for you. Unless you plan on rock-crawling megasmash every weekend, do drawers and figure out extra fuel. Add other bits as you get more aggressive and ambitious. Again, only go self-build if that fits into your time/money Weltanschauung, as @Artie mentioned.

Last edited:
I know my rig is built properly because I'm the one who did all the work. Yes, I'm an amateur but sadly I've found that I'm far more thorough compared to most of the professional shops I've dealt with in the past

FWIW...if you are going to build it, I would buy the built one and just focus on changes as you use it rather than building up one and making changes as you go, which you will...that is inevitable with any build
i

you are doing point topping stuff instead of everything....

My 2 cents..

So I decided to hang onto my current 200 series and start slowly building it myself at a reputable shop. New wheels / tires, blacked out (some of) the chrome, slee rock sliders etc.
snow lc.jpg

And so it begins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom