Build It Or Buy It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some opinions on building up my current 2013 200 series vs. purchasing a 2015 200 series that looks to already have everything (and more).

Overview: I'm in Utah with four kids and one wife. We ski / snowboard a ton. We go camping and mountain biking. Once or twice a year we go to central & southern utah including Moab and do some moderate rock crawling. My goal is to build (or buy) a capable land cruiser that can help create lasting memories in the outdoors with friends and family.

BUILD
My current 2013 LC has 165k miles I paid 30k + tax. It's in good shape with a few dings and a Bondo repair that's failing. It's bone stock minus the weather tech mats all around and tires: BFG AT KO2's / Blizzaks in the winter.

I put together a parts list at my local shop Cruiser Outfitters which included Rock Sliders, Front Bumper, Winch, Rear Bumper, Method MR318 Wheels, 2" lift + suspension overhaul. Lots of options to chose from but going off "good, better, best" I mainly choose in the better range with some best. The parts list above easily got to $12k. I plan to do little to none of the work myself and will leave it to the experts.

BUY
The LC 200 Series that I have my eyes on has 114k miles asking price of $40k + tax. It has all of the things in my build list and much more, like: Roof rack, air compressor, spare tire / gas can holder, snorkel, lights, aux gas tank, and probably other stuff I can't see in the pictures.

The "Buy" 2015 listing

Looking for any and all opinions, thoughts, and snide remarks. Should I build up my current cruiser over time or sell it and purchase the new one that is already built up?

My current 2013 200 Series (Build it?)
IMG_5795.jpg

Potential 2015 200 Series (Buy It)
buyit1.jpg

Goodies under the hoodie

buyithood.jpg

butit2.jpg

Buying pre-built saves time and more importantly, money. But some just like the adventure and pleasure of building their own project.
I've always built all my own except for one and I had to go completely thru it to make it right. If you're very particular you might want to build your own, or at least make sure whomever did do it did it right.

Only you know which group you fit into.

Also, I'm a mechanic and work exclusively on German Vehicles and I am quite particular because my customers are as well.
I just bought my first LC/LX from an owner that thought he was a mechanic and he was far from it. I am having to go back over a bunch of work he did.

Also, I'm a mechanic and work exclusively on German Vehicles and I am quite particular because my customers are as well.
I just bought my first LC/LX from an owner that thought he was a mechanic and he was far from it. I am having to go back over a bunch of work he did.
great data point. Makes me think I could check with the dealer and try to ascertain where the work was done.

As much as I love wrenching there have been a few mods where I gladly would have paid for them to be done lol. I know there are people who take pride in DIY but for me it’s more about the affordance a built vehicle provides in terms of access to experiences.

Buying pre-built doesn’t take away from that for me personally.

As an avid overlander and camper, if I'm being honest, that 2015 just looks like an overbuilt chunk that's too heavy, too inefficient, and will be less enjoyable than it looks. With so many aftermarket bits including electrical mods under the hood, it's often those pieces that create reliability and headaches on a trip.

Your current rig with just some key things will go very far. Moderate 33" tires, Bilstein lift, and portable air compressor will take you 95% of the places, and possibly further than that 2015. Looks like it has KDSS taken out. Probably high springs rates with less articulation and way more weight, things that don't necessarily help it perform better.

But this is a personal decision that doesn't have a right and wrong, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If the work was done properly, 100% buy it. You can upgrade/replace parts you don’t love, but an aux fuel tank is a big expense (about $6k installed), so that’s a huge plus right there.

Buy it, live with it for a season or two, then fine tune it

Sounds like your current rig has fit the bill for your needs. Do you need a built rig?
I have basically what @TeCKis300 described (larger tires, lift) and don’t feel the need to armor up as this configuration gets my family where we want to go. I want to add sliders next. The only way I’d move on from my 2013 is for a 2016+ or maybe the new GX550.

If the work was done properly, 100% buy it. You can upgrade/replace parts you don’t love, but an aux fuel tank is a big expense (about $6k installed), so that’s a huge plus right there.

Buy it, live with it for a season or two, then fine tune it
I guessed on the Aux fuel tank because I saw this gauge on the dash...
auxfuel.jpg

Sounds like your current rig has fit the bill for your needs. Do you need a built rig?
I have basically what @TeCKis300 described (larger tires, lift) and don’t feel the need to armor up as this configuration gets my family where we want to go. I want to add sliders next. The only way I’d move on from my 2013 is for a 2016+ or maybe the new GX550.
Great angle, I probably don't NEED to build it up too much based on my overall goals. I am looking to get a bit more ambitious on my next Moab trip and like the idea of sliders, more clearance in the front and a winch.

If the mods are actually what you're looking for, then buying the built one seems like a good "easy button" choice. My biggest qualm with buying a built rig is that the parts on it are likely not what I personally would have chosen (that black rig definitely meets that description). If I build it myself, I know I'm only putting on the stuff I want. The typical "built/overlander" truck just has way too much crap on it and in it for my personal tastes. But if the right one were available with all the right stuff, I would have no problem buying one that someone else built.

Let's face it, most used vehicles have some sort of previous-owner shenanigans going on anyway.

IMHO (worth what it cost you).........If I had the truck and the money, I would for sure have Cruiser Outfitters build my rig, using the "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" principle. A corollary is that you don't need to do everything all at once. Build as you need it.

I would not buy a 200 without either KDSS or AHC.

Reactions: BVE
I'd like to become your friend. :D

I second the notion that the built rig looks overbuilt. I think a lot of people put a bunch of money into mods, which add weight and complexity, and often decrease reliability, only to regret it. That rig looks like just that - to my eye. I think over the last few years a bunch of people saw built rigs and thought, "I need a bumper, a swingout, a winch, and a snorkel!" and then after they did all that their rig became slow, tall and cumbersome. Personally, I don't want an aux tank or a rear swing out bumper. You could put a Trail Tailor hidden winch mount in your existing OEM front bumper, some 33's, a mild lift and sliders if you choose. Make sure all your maintenance is up to par, and hit the trails. That's what I would do. Just my two cents.

FWIW, I know someone who test drove that exact cruiser and said it felt like total crap and that the build was not well done. He did not recommend anyone buying that specific vehicle. Have you gone to see it in person yet?

Is wheeling twice a year in Moab worth the hit you will take in drive-ability the rest of the year, especially if this is going to be your mountain commuter for skiing/boarding? I'd go with sliders, rear bumper and maybe a hidden winch at most on your current rig. You could still do a lot of Moab's trails and most of the mods on that '15 are more of a liability than anything. I would hate having a 7,000 lbs SUV in our canyons without AHC or KDSS.

Im a fan of buy stock and build to suite yourself for a lot of reasons, its what i did with my 200. I enjoy that journey, even though it took me 4.5 years (just finished) and I like to know exactly how and why it was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom