Build advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have been on the forum for a little while and I'm looking for advice in building up my LC. New to the LC scene but not to off roading or building. My other ride is a 87 VW Westy Syncro with a 2006 Jetta TDI conversion. I have a 2in lift on it custom sliders and side rails etc.... While my buddy's shop does a lot of the heavy lifting projects I certainly have a hand in the design and tweaks as I tend to not go the route most other folks have on these syncros...

Here is what I have to work with.

• 03 LC: I am the third owner. First had it for 120k the second for about 40k . I just bought it in Nov 2014
  • Very little if any rust everything works fine no rattles, seats are great etc...
  • All stock when I got it minus upgraded BFG AT's 285/65R18's great tread not needing to replace anytime soon
Here is what I have done so far. I have put about 6500 miles on so I have about 167K and counting.
  • Timing belt, water pump, systems flush, brakes, valve cover gaskets, oil changes, redid the CV's , headlight bulbs etc... All PM type stuff
  • Added a DT cat back exhaust as the original was sounding a little rough.
Pic for everyone
NEW LC 2.jpg

I feel like she riding great and I'm happy that all the PM is up to date and she is solid. This is normally where I will start when building out my ride but I have some questions, concerns and need some advice.

Here is my usage scenario.
Mainly Family camping, overlanding, off roading consisting of sand (I live on the Outer Banks) little mud/clay (It is NC afterall) , rocks. Not super hard core but I like going to places like Uwharrie in NC, I would like to do a trip to Moab sometime.

Yet at the same time I have turned this into my DD, I got rid of one of my BMW's and this is what I drive now. For instance the last 7 days I have put about 1,000 miles on her. NC to PA to VA and now to Buffalo. Here is a pic from the drive in the weather yesterday and let me say that 90% of those miles on this trip have been in the ice and snow and man this vehicle is amazing!

Buffalo.jpeg

I'm not sure what to do next my head says

• drop the side steps add sliders
  • Add skids
  • Add Second battery and hook up my air tank and compressor for airing back up
I'm up in the air about lift kits since have never driven a lifted LC. It took me three go rounds with the syncro to get the right mix of springs and shocks that worked for my usage, and she drives great now! When the wife notices the ride improvement you know you are on the right track! I certainly dont want to do a lift and hate the ride...

BUT here is the even bigger question. Since I do not really have any LC shops near me on the coast do I sell this and pick up a built out 98 or 99? There is some appeal there as if it were done right I can certainly maintain it. I saw a nice silver one totally built for @ 17,500 out in California. Now that I have the 03 I see the advantages of the non NAV in the older models and such. I also guess I could ship it to Slee or someone with the LC back ground for some of the bigger build items and then pick it up there.

I am just not sure and looking for advice. I want to get it out there and using it this summer along with my Syncro and don't want to waste time to money on things that I don't know about or do wrong because I am new to this type of vehicle.

Well there you have it thanks in advance and thanks for all the information i have gathered to date from this forum. Off to work here in cold A$$ Buffalo!

You gotta be near me. I'm in Greenville.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but if it were me I'd keep the 03, lift it 2" and pull the side steps.

I know a guy who would trade you what you have for his well built LC. He's got ARB bumpers, roof rack, snorkel, lift, etc. I'm not sure what year it is but I'd want cash with that trade too.

I would look at it this way :

In a no lift first scenario :

#1. ARB or Other front protection
2. second battery for long days at the beach (need cold beer and food)
3. drop the running boards

In a lift first scenario :

#1 2 inch OME med lift and diff drop
2. ARB or other front protection
3. second battery
4. drop the running boards but everyone else will need sliders to get in

It sounds like you already know what you want. If you do go with an ARB I would recommend adding the OME lift, or at least the OME T-bars, at the same time because the stock T-bars will be maxed with the additional weight. You may not even be able to get it back up to stock ride height without re-indexing which is kind of a pain in the xxx and if you are going to go through all that trouble you might as well just put the OME T-bars in and be done with it. Add a winch and you are over the limit of the stock T-bars anyway. I think Nick drove his 100 for years with an ARB and stock T-bars (no winch) but I can't imagine what the ride was like. I would expect mushy. Other members may have input on that.
FYI, when I added the ARB Bull Bar, OME T-bars and the M12000 (all at the same time) the ride was almost exactly like stock. It just felt "heavier" which you get used to in a few hours of driving.
Running boards is a 30 minute job. Get it done. Put anti-sieze on the bolts and put them back in to keep water, mud, salt, etc. out of the rockers.
Second battery takes some planning and will end up costing way more than you planned for. It is the most complicated installation so I would save that for last on your list. Take your time with it and really plan it out.
Have fun and good luck!

I agree that the 2nd battery is a huge expense a lot of work and likely unnecessary for all but the most serious of folks. I have a ton of time and money in my dual battery setup. A larger group 31 main battery can run a fridge just fine for 2-3 days. We are never parked more than a day or two at a time. We set up camp and may stay in camp for a few days, but for our use the truck never sits stationary long enough to justify the need for the 2nd battery. It makes me feel a bit better and I yell at the kids less now to close the doors or unplug their ipods, but it's not needed!

If you can avoid adding a lot of weight in the form of bumpers etc. you will save yourself a lot of extra wear and tear on the suspension, steering etc. We have very few of the problems I hear about from guys with those kind of mods. We do have sliders because the rockers are just so exposed on the 100 and they do have scars. I think our use is very similar to what you describe and so far I've had one scrape on the rear bumper.

Wow ton of good advice here. I appreciate the thoughts on the second battery. It definitely took me awhile to get it dialed in right on my syncro and $$$ as I killed some batteries getting it right. So from the recommendations it sounds like a lift if I add a front bumper to strengthen things to support the added weight. As far as a lift goes I see a 1.5 and 2.5 on sites like Slee but no 2 in. Is a 2.5 really just a two once it settles? I'm just gun shy on lifts as I haven't rode in any lifted LC but it makes sense what BADLANDER said about it feeling similar to stock once with the added weight of the a front bumper and such... At any rate it seem like the side steps are gonna go once I get out of Buffalo and back home to NC for a start.

You gotta be near me. I'm in Greenville.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but if it were me I'd keep the 03, lift it 2" and pull the side steps.

I know a guy who would trade you what you have for his well built LC. He's got ARB bumpers, roof rack, snorkel, lift, etc. I'm not sure what year it is but I'd want cash with that trade too.

Yea I'm down in Emerald Isle just under 2 hours from you. If you ever make it down this way PM me and let me know. To your point I think your right about pulling the sides but just want to ride a lifted LC before I make that step... On the other hand if you do know someone with a built out LC that is thinking about trading or selling PM and let me know. I know this,, I want to ride and not spend as much time building as I did with the Syncro. While the process is fun it is more fun being out there and with as much as I travel for work and as fast as the kids are growing up I want to get out there and have fun if that makes sense. At the very least I would love to check out a built out LC or LX .

Thanks again!

Yea I'm down in Emerald Isle just under 2 hours from you. If you ever make it down this way PM me and let me know. To your point I think your right about pulling the sides but just want to ride a lifted LC before I make that step... On the other hand if you do know someone with a built out LC that is thinking about trading or selling PM and let me know. I know this,, I want to ride and not spend as much time building as I did with the Syncro. While the process is fun it is more fun being out there and with as much as I travel for work and as fast as the kids are growing up I want to get out there and have fun if that makes sense. At the very least I would love to check out a built out LC or LX .

Thanks again!

I know EI very well. My family has had a vacation spot there for over 60 years, well before the high rise. I told the guy about possibly trading, he'll let me know if he wants to get in touch with you.

Hey don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a warn m12000 winch and was wondering if I needed a second battery to use and operate it without issue.

I would keep the 03 coming from someone with a 98 I love the simple dash on my non nav but I think the steering wheel audio controls and the 5th gear is worth it. ATRAC offers peace of mind when others are driving your cruiser

Hey don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a warn m12000 winch and was wondering if I needed a second battery to use and operate it without issue.

I would keep the 03 coming from someone with a 98 I love the simple dash on my non nav but I think the steering wheel audio controls and the 5th gear is worth it. ATRAC offers peace of mind when others are driving your cruiser

I can't comment on the winch and battery item, probably someone with better experience there than I.

Thanks for validating the 03 choice. I also found out it is the last year with a dipstick for the tranny fluid as well. Not sure there is much value there but has gotta be easier then checking at the tranny.

At any rate I'm going to slowly build it out. Just hit 169,000 and the suspension needs help. I decided to go the cheaper route for now since I have good tires. OEM shocks, keeping the springs as is for now. In the fall I will probably put on 33's and then try some 30mm spacers on the rear and crank the TBars a little. If that doesn't feel right I will probably start with new springs and shocks and kinds keep building it up while i get a feel for the ride...

I pick it up tomorrow with new shocks, alignment, and a force balance on the tires since they are bigger than stock. Ride and see where to go from there!

I can't comment on the winch and battery item, probably someone with better experience there than I.

Thanks for validating the 03 choice. I also found out it is the last year with a dipstick for the tranny fluid as well. Not sure there is much value there but has gotta be easier then checking at the tranny.

At any rate I'm going to slowly build it out. Just hit 169,000 and the suspension needs help. I decided to go the cheaper route for now since I have good tires. OEM shocks, keeping the springs as is for now. In the fall I will probably put on 33's and then try some 30mm spacers on the rear and crank the TBars a little. If that doesn't feel right I will probably start with new springs and shocks and kinds keep building it up while i get a feel for the ride...

I pick it up tomorrow with new shocks, alignment, and a force balance on the tires since they are bigger than stock. Ride and see where to go from there!
Sounds like a great plan, that's what I intend to do with mine. Although, I already have the 33's going on. You should be fine to run 33's without the spacers or the tbar crank. Now that I've been that way for over a year, I will say that I'm finding myself wanting a 30mm crank and a bit more crank on the tbars. But that's only because I feel that I could go over a bit more terrain with a tiny bit more belly clearance...Nice looking ride btw!

Sounds like a great plan, that's what I intend to do with mine. Although, I already have the 33's going on. You should be fine to run 33's without the spacers or the tbar crank. Now that I've been that way for over a year, I will say that I'm finding myself wanting a 30mm crank and a bit more crank on the tbars. But that's only because I feel that I could go over a bit more terrain with a tiny bit more belly clearance...Nice looking ride btw!

Thanks! Yea i dont plan on getting rid of this truck. I have really loved it so far compared to my previous 4x4's. A little at a time will be key for me I have gone overboard on previous builds and ended up not liking the results. To much at one time type thing....

I just don't understand the infatuation with front bumpers. They're unnecessarily heavy and wear out front end parts.
One of the first rules of offroading/overlanding is to keep things light. Nothing like slapping a few hundred pounds on first things first?
I do agree they look good and provide a mounting point for a winch, but there are definitely alternatives in that region.

Tires, sliders, winch, lockers, lift in that order ... just my .02

I just don't understand the infatuation with front bumpers. They're unnecessarily heavy and wear out front end parts.
One of the first rules of offroading/overlanding is to keep things light. Nothing like slapping a few hundred pounds on first things first?
I do agree they look good and provide a mounting point for a winch, but there are definitely alternatives in that region.

Tires, sliders, winch, lockers, lift in that order ... just my .02

I'm with you there. I just ordered sliders, I'm good with the tires for now. I'm going to try spacers and TB adjustments once I get new tires and go a little bigger. I'm not sure I really need a locker. I have one in my Syncro and used it once and that will see harder trails than the LC. As for a winch once again I'm not sure I need that . I have been able to get my Syncro out using my Hi-Lift Jack as a hand winch using straps and chains and she weighs in @ 5,000 lbs give or take. I'm with you on the weight, I'm avoiding the bumpers for now as I don't want to eat into my gas milage. One thing I would like though is a rear carrier for the tire. I have one for my syncro that doesn't use the rear bumpers but the frame of the vehicle bolted onto it in the gap between the rear hatch and the body. I might have to see if it can be adapted to the LC .....

I'm with you there. I just ordered sliders, I'm good with the tires for now. I'm going to try spacers and TB adjustments once I get new tires and go a little bigger. I'm not sure I really need a locker. I have one in my Syncro and used it once and that will see harder trails than the LC. As for a winch once again I'm not sure I need that . I have been able to get my Syncro out using my Hi-Lift Jack as a hand winch using straps and chains and she weighs in @ 5,000 lbs give or take. I'm with you on the weight, I'm avoiding the bumpers for now as I don't want to eat into my gas milage. One thing I would like though is a rear carrier for the tire. I have one for my syncro that doesn't use the rear bumpers but the frame of the vehicle bolted onto it in the gap between the rear hatch and the body. I might have to see if it can be adapted to the LC .....
What was your experience using the hi lift as a winch?

Currently looking for cheap insurance and do not want to spend the money on a winch/mounting.

Thanks

Unless you're stuck in a huge mud pit and need to winch yourself out of a long distance it'll work fine. Definitely get the 60 inch version if you plan on potential using it as a winch.

And start doing some push ups!

After having my mostly stock LX out and really working it for the first time, I'd say a locker or switching to a ATRAC model is high up on the list (I already have tires). Then winch / sliders. I didn't run into any front bumper clearance issues, but banged the rear a few times.

What was your experience using the hi lift as a winch?

Currently looking for cheap insurance and do not want to spend the money on a winch/mounting.

Thanks

It is fine just as with any manual process it can be time consuming.. @fireball said it best though get ready for a workout ! but if you are not in a rush it works fine or have two guys to help with the jack......

I do recommend reading this link if you have not used one in this manner. It has some good tips and safety notes...
http://expeditionportal.com/jack-of-all-trades/

I am about to order sliders and then on to a rear tire carrier decision and hijack mounting .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom