Broken Timing Chain Slipper/Guide - Tear it down and replace or leave it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone, recent convert from toyota pickups/4runners into 80-series land. I have a 1993 FZJ80 and the motor is leaking terribly bad from the valve cover, oil pump, etc. Today I went to replace the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals, and found a nice surprise...

Take a look at this guide/slipper. I fished a broken piece out of there that was sitting on the tensioner, and it looks like the plastic part separated from the metal and has been riding upwards toward the valve cover. Interesting because this engine runs very well and is dead quiet.

I know it's a lot of work and time to replace the chain/guides/slipper. The plastic piece is loose, I can move it upwards if I pull it, and I'm sure I could yank the entire think out of there. That makes me think I *have* to replace it. It is not fixed in place at all...but I'm thinking it has been this way for thousands of miles with no issue.

What would you do?

2022-08-20 21_57_15-Window.png

slipper_top.png

Hey everyone, recent convert from toyota pickups/4runners into 80-series land. I have a 1993 FZJ80 and the motor is leaking terribly bad from the valve cover, oil pump, etc. Today I went to replace the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals, and found a nice surprise...

Take a look at this guide/slipper. I fished a broken piece out of there that was sitting on the tensioner, and it looks like the plastic part separated from the metal and has been riding upwards toward the valve cover. Interesting because this engine runs very well and is dead quiet.

I know it's a lot of work and time to replace the chain/guides/slipper. The plastic piece is loose, I can move it upwards if I pull it, and I'm sure I could yank the entire think out of there. That makes me think I *have* to replace it. It is not fixed in place at all...but I'm thinking it has been this way for thousands of miles with no issue.

What would you do?

View attachment 3092741

View attachment 3092742
I'd tear it apart and replace it. Refresh everything before it becomes a problem, then you can drive trouble free for LOTS more miles .

Do you have any records of the head gasket having been replaced? If not, then do it all. You might be surprised how good the cylinder walls look or you may find something new that you're glad you did it .

Have you done a compression test on it? Leak down test?

As heart breaking as this is I would definitely replace it. The early slippers had the failure potential.

And if all those leaks were top diff the oil pan in the rear is likely also leaking.

I’d do it all.
That's what I was thinking.

I'd tear it apart and replace it. Refresh everything before it becomes a problem, then you can drive trouble free for LOTS more miles .

Do you have any records of the head gasket having been replaced? If not, then do it all. You might be surprised how good the cylinder walls look or you may find something new that you're glad you did it .

Have you done a compression test on it? Leak down test?
No records of the head gasket being replaced. Tempted to do a compression and leak down test and if it all goes well, attempt to change the timing components with only removing the oil pan, timing cover, and valve cover instead of ripping off the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom