Broken/missing exhaust hangers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two of the three exhaust hangers on my 80 are broken. The section of the exhaust that one of the hangers would anchor to is completely rusted over. Am I looking at a complete exhaust replacement or is there an easier fix to this? The truck rumbles/rattles pretty significantly at low RPM and when idling in gear.

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3167.jpeg

If the rust is just surface rust you should be able to weld new hangers to the pipe once you clean it up a bit. They also have versions that attach with an exhaust clamp but you'll need to remove the broken welded on stuff first. The second picture is not a factory mount so just go to the auto parts store and find something that will work.

I made new metal holders for my factory mounts, can see them in the exhaust pictures I have in my build thread, with some flat bar. The factory rubber mounts are still available if you need them too.

If you lack welders and grinders an exhaust shop should be able to fix that up pretty easy.

If the rust is just surface rust you should be able to weld new hangers to the pipe once you clean it up a bit. They also have versions that attach with an exhaust clamp but you'll need to remove the broken welded on stuff first. The second picture is not a factory mount so just go to the auto parts store and find something that will work.

I made new metal holders for my factory mounts, can see them in the exhaust pictures I have in my build thread, with some flat bar. The factory rubber mounts are still available if you need them too.

If you lack welders and grinders an exhaust shop should be able to fix that up pretty easy.

Pulled the brackets from the frame and cut off the piece that had been welded onto one of them. Refinished both of them. Purchased exhaust hangers from the autoparts store and rigged them up. Works great. No more rumbles/rattles when idling in gear. $15 total spent.

IMG_3235.jpeg
IMG_3234.jpeg

Pulled the brackets from the frame and cut off the piece that had been welded onto one of them. Refinished both of them. Purchased exhaust hangers from the autoparts store and rigged them up. Works great. No more rumbles/rattles when idling in gear. $15 total spent.

View attachment 2508396View attachment 2508397

Looks good. Glad you got it worked out!

This is cool. I had no idea all of these parts existed at the good ol auto parts store. I can direct my co-worker to this stuff so I don't have to help him twist wire or plumbers tape together at the end of the day to get him home anymore. (poor, sad Ford Explorer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom