Broke down bad on a Roadtrip in Weed, California.. Would love some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to rent a uhaul to get my '40 from Winters, CA to Seattle, WA a couple years ago. It cost about $900 one way. Take it all the way with you to San Diego if you dont have time to stop by Georg's place. You'll be glad you did not scrap it.

Ms. Tara: I really like your work.

The images on your website are quite good. I too am a pro-photog, and have indeed photoed lots & lots of animals. For me, I basically refrain from studying the work of others, but did appreciate what you have on your photography website.

Attached here is one of my already posted images (from my phone) of one of my two doggers, Grady. Grady is seen having just painted the 2F engine block of "our" own '40, a 1979, who's name is now 'Jade.'
msp_MarcStPierre-FJ40_14-03102sm.jpg

And that you can see something of my recent professional work, below here is an image I had very recently made of a poisonous, 2-bladed snake.
msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2014_AAHF998_14-05101sm.jpg

~marc

Last edited:
Ms. Tara :

Here's my take (and I assure you I'm 'winging this' as I write... :) )

1) you're a mature young woman (I write this because, similar in age, Olivia is still quite young :) ... so, you'll very likely end-up making your way either all the way down to SoCal, or all the way back home - in a timely manor. And either way, you'll likely end-up making the most wise decision.

What we don't know is the length of your intended stay in San Diego. Is it to be a mere photography project? - or is it new employment within a company? I ask you don't answer on this board; but the exact terms of your trip, and what it financially means to you - determines your direction (south or north).

2) We don't know the actual worth of your BJ40, nor your financial flexibility (and we of course don't need to know here). But this will also determine your direction of travel.

My wing-it suggestion would be actually parking Olivia with someone or at someplace in the immediate vicinity of where you currently are (though not with the seemingly wolf-mechanic; and if need, in trade for some of your photography work); grabbing your Most Needed belongings / equipment, etc; hitching an inexpensive or free ride to a local, small airport (as you know, there's lots of small ones dotted throughout N.Cal.), and literally convincing someone at that local airport to ferry you to a commercial airport (of all places, Northern California is a PERFECT PLACE to creatively drop someone a horror-adventure story, let alone one involving a still-quite-young adventure-machine, and experiencing them "drop their hat" to "partake in that unfolding adventure... :) ) Honestly, you WON'T find common, laid-back people openly seeking adventure like you do in Northern California !!! (Well, maybe in Holland or Oz... LOL :) ) Barter with a pilot or with an FBO for a trade in cool-photography. And once at a close-by commercial airport (PDX, SFO, etc), fly commercially the rest of the way down to San Diego (or back home). Prior to getting to SoCal (and this is where "job worth & level of potential establishment" comes into play), literally reaching-out and utilizing one of your persons of contact (your future boss, your direct client, etc) to directly support you with the paper-work for a rental car (because of your foreign driver's license). You'd need to ensure them of your use of your own current or established future monetary funds... And then, and only then, figuring-out how to transport Olivia either north or south, or what to best do with her. ... but of course NOT 'writing her off.' !

~Marc

Last edited:
I may be going to mudraks tomorrow - not sure yet i have to call him in the am. If u drop your 40 there i can get u as far as sfo airport.

There's a lot of words here...

:lol:

If you can get to Sacramento, we can get you to Stockton for service. Run away from that mechanic you are at.

I truly appreciate everyone's advice and support.. Especially because it's not in favour of scrapping her!! That would be sooo sad! Although I may not be able to get her back on the road immediately, it seems like a good plan would be to either find a spot to park her locally or ideally get her down to San Diego where I'd be in range to coordinate her care when I'm not rushed. A friend has found someone who will take her down for $350.. That seems awfully reasonable?? And more good news another friend has driven all the way up here to pick me up and drive myself, my two dogs and kittie down to San Diego.. Yay!! Thank goodness for so many nice people... And who knows... Maybe if I'm super lucky, the diagnosis may not be as bad as it seems.. I would prefer to believe the mechanic is trying to give me good advice.. He's been very kind and accommodating but I would be thrilled if a mechanic more familiar with the diesel truck could give me a second opinion and options.

That sounds great - good friends. Georg from Stockton is here at times he might be able to give u off the cuff second opinion. Pm him or call him at Valley Hybrids or Gary at Mudrak and describe it. Im sure either of them will have encountered it before. But at least u can take your time now.

Best of luck hope u end up keeping Olivia.

Great Pix, Olivia and Skydog! More, more!

If you haven't found a place 'locally' to park her while you are contemplating your options, you can leave her here at my place in Redding, I am only about 45 minutes from Mt. Shasta.

humm.. same cameras & camera bag I have - and same good looking truck too...

(We know you're good at breaking your truck - but I BET you aren't as good at
breaking & breaking in half cameras & lenses as I AM !!! :-D )

Ours has been sitting, not driven in our garage(s) for 20 years.
And unless we get our shifter in gear, Olivia will once again be
on the road -decades & decades more- before we can catch up
to her once again purrrring diesel... :-(
msp_MarcStPierre-FJ40_14-03115sm.jpg

That truck looks far too good to scrap.
X2 on what others have said about having someone familiar with diesel cruisers have a look at her. It's pretty hard to kill a B engine. Black smoke is normal from a naturally aspirated (not turbocharged) diesel at higher altitudes. It sounds like it could be a head gasket or at worst, a cracked head.

Do Not abandon Olivia! There may be some engine issues causing the overheat-maybe as simple as the fan clutch, maybe more extensive as in a blown head gasket---either way this truck is definitely worth the fix--what ever it is. Valley Hybrids/Mudrak/Reddington what ever---any of them are super Mudders and will find the prob. and recommend the proper fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom