Bringing a 40 Back to life- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ill check the truck out a bit more tomorrow afternoon.

Should I be worried about a ring sticking or something? Should I turn the engine over a bit with a wrench?

Heres a quick picture of the Alfa :) Shes hibernating now so poor me just has the STI to play with for the winter hehe

Thanks,
Jeff
IMGP1517.jpg

OK

I took a bunch of pictures with my iPhone a bit ago. I will post them as soon as I get back from this dinner my gf is making me go to ;).

It wont start!!! I SHOULD be able to hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on yes? I do not...

Any of you guys in the Colorado/Denver area have any desire to help a newb out Sunday and take a look at the truck with me??

I have more questons but they are based on the pictures which I'll upload as soon as I get home tonight.

But yea any one want to give me a hand?!?! :)

Thanks,
Jeff

In my limited experience paying someone to tow it home, is about the least expensive thing you will ever do to it.
Then you can take your time getting it running. Besides you dont want to look bad in your bosses driveway.

Good luck

In my limited experience paying someone to tow it home, is about the least expensive thing you will ever do to it.
Then you can take your time getting it running. Besides you dont want to look bad in your bosses driveway.

Good luck

Hey firstly welcome to mud and the LC addiction...

Ditto on the towing if it isn't too far... The last thing you will want to do is just get it running and do some damage to it getting her home... that way you will have lots of time to play with it, change all the fluids etc...

I had to drive 600 miles the first day when I picked up my LC... I had only 6 hours with it as well, it was from a family friend that left it in his will and if I didn't get it out of there it would have been auctioned with the estate... Lets just say it was the fastest oil change, rad flush, brake flush, diff drain, I have ever done... mine is a diesel and it doesn't go as bad quicky as the gas does but I was filling up every 50 miles to keep it diluted and changed 3 fuel filters during the drive home... was an awesome ride home but I worried I was going to ruin the truck... nothing major happened, wore the breaks right off as one was slightly ceased... but in hinsight I think I would have had it towed...

Cheers bud, enjoy your new toy

Can you or anyone show me a picture of where the dip stick should be? It seems like it might be missing???

Sgtpeper,

I presume you already found it, but just in case...
Batt-stand.jpg

Yep, battery tray support.

So sgtpeper, one can also see the fuel pump in this picture. Next to the block more forward than the distributor. So in order dipstick, distributor, oil filter mount (with tape covering the opening), and then the fuel pump.

Ooooh two things there - I thought the fuel pump was next to the gas tank - what is that thing under the truck with 2 wires off the tank???

As for towing it - I dont have a garage or space at my place right now. So working on it in my boss's driveway is much easier haha - its alos only a few miles from my house.

Next post will have pics

BTW - When I was asking for help I def didnt remember tomorrow is Super Bowl haha

Jeff

A few photos:

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-10.jpg

What is this hole for? It came off the aircleaner it looks like - vacuum line? Seems like it should have a plastic nipple but its broken off inside the rubber line...

photo-11.jpg

In this one - notice the loose wire? Its coming out of the bundle that goes to the alternator - where is that wire supposed to go??

photo-12.jpg

In this one - the black wire that appears to be a ground - that is broken off and going no where as well - where should that go?

photo-9.jpg

Last edited:
I posted questions in with my pictures.

Also, though I need to know what the thing I thought was the pump is thats under the truck near the gas tank.

ALSO, what can I do to make the mechanical fuel pump work again? It has points right?

I should also mention I pulled the points and they were completely black blah.

Haha dont worry it was just there for 2 seconds while I pulled one of the spark plugs out and found that wire missing.

Any answers to my questions though???

I posted questions in with my pictures.

Also, though I need to know what the thing I thought was the pump is thats under the truck near the gas tank.

ALSO, what can I do to make the mechanical fuel pump work again? It has points right?

I should also mention I pulled the points and they were completely black blah.

My guesses (and they are only guesses)

Wires coming from the fuel tank? Fuel gauge sender

A mech fuel pump will not have electrical points in it, it will have a diaphragm that is driven by a lever actuated by its own lobe on the cam.

A '79 will not be equipped with a points type ignition from the factory. It will be electronic.

It is possible that you have both a mech and elec pump. My first 40 had both. When the mechanical one failed they put an electric one on the firewall. They left the mechanical in place and just cut the lines and plugged them.

So do you see/smell fuel when you were cranking the engine?

The vehicle looks in great shape though. Congrats on that.

Thanks, but the pictures make it look a bit better than it really is hehe.

The wires I am referring to seem to come from a cylinder like piece that is next to the gas tank on the passengers side - seems in line with the fuel lines - would a fuel filter have wires coming from it??

Also, there is no pump on the firewall - the device I am talking about is next to the gas tank and I have no idea what it is now :)

I do not smell ANY gas when cranking the engine.

So now I am confused about the factory pump - is it electric or mechanical??? And either way how do I get it to start functioning again????

First off the correct pump for your 40 is a mechanical and mounted on the side of the block as seen in the prior photos posted. That is what you should have. As for making it work the engine need to be cranking/moving to actuate the pump.

Sorry for the confusion but the firewall mounted pump was in MY truck. It probably ended up having two because the previous owner didn't remove the defunct mech one. Which he should have because it later leaked engine oil. I'm sure it was more convenient for him to add the elec. unit since he was in the nw corner of Minn.

The cylindrical item may be a fuel pump. Photos of this would help. Also photos of your OEM mech pump with associated fuel lines would help. One could always disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the engine to see if you are getting fuel. First just try looking down the throat of the carb while someone cranks the engine.

Lastly a simple Haynes manual is a very good resource to have. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom