Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe it may be time to get new brakes on the cuiser. When i was pondering about that I remember someone telling me how one can put the pads from a 100 to put on an 80 (or sometin' like that), to improve milleage on brakes. Well I'm just wonderin if : 1. someone can clear that up. 2. Does that mean replacing the whole brake system? 3. how much is this procedure going to cost? Have a '97 40th, if it makes the difference.

- Thanks Sammy

Sammy Hi! From what I've heard here, the only modification is some trimming of the metal backing plate part of the pad. This could be done with a die grinder or with a bench grinder etc. As far as I know, no mod to the actual pad material is recommended and as far as I know, no other mods to the calipers or rotors are required. As far as how much it will cost, it will only cost the cost of the pads which C-Dan can quote you; swapping pads is a super simple procedure that every DIY'er should be able to do. More importantly, every DIY'er should be able to inspect the entire brake system with complete confidence and be able to tell if the rotors should be replaced, if the calipers are good etc. I'm not saying you cannot do these things, I'm just saying that assuming that every other part of the system is fine, and that you can confidently verify that, then the only thing this mod will cost is the cost of the pads and you can put em in no problemo. Lastly, one recurring theme that I have heard here is that involvement with your local cruiser club is an absolutely wonderful way to learn so much about your rig and to learn so much about how to work on it. Many clubs offer clinics where you could go to a brake system clinic for a day, share some commaraderie with some fellow cruiser heads and go head out on the trails with some new friends.

>> the only modification is some trimming of the metal backing plate part of the pad. <<

The 100 series pads will drop in the front calipers on 93-97 FZJ80's with *NO* modifications. You will not have enough room to install the anti-squeal shims but you can put them in after the pads wear in for a few months.

For a "best practice" install of the 100 pads in your 80, you would trim some of the pad using a bench grinder or equivalent. The part that would be trimmed is the pad material on the lower circumference. The 100 pad is a little bigger (and a lot thicker) than the '97 pad so it will hit the hub in this section.

C-Dan "radiused" (i.e. "trimmed) his pad material, I did not. Both of us have approximately 25-30k miles on the 100 series pads and there are no issues and both sets are wearing very well.

-B-

Sam -

Here's the deal. First use the search button.

You don't need to modify the 100 pads at all but you do need to either turn the rotors or install new rotors. This is required because the surface area of the 100 pad is different and they need to bed into a fresh surface.

Also note that if installing new rotors, you won't be able to use the anti-squeal shims as they fit pretty tight.

edit - Search around and you'll confirm pretty much what B and I are saying. B just beat me to it.

Riley

Sammy,

I did this modification on my '96 about 2,000 miles ago with no modification to the 100 pads. I replaced the rotors as suggested, and also, replaced the inner and outer wheel bearings and seals. I can tell a big difference in the breaking power of the 100 pads. I recommend this modification :D. PM C'dan for a parts quote.

Wayne S :cheers:

I don't get this turning the rotors so the 100 pad can bed in the new surface bit...

I mean if there is a groove in the rotors, big deal, pads won't know. If these is a ridge, it'll dig a groove in no time in the pad, after a bit should not all be peachy? what am I missing?

E

Since the 80 pads are smaller you get 2 rust rings around the rotors where the 80 pad doesn't touch. Now if you put on the larger 100 pads then they ride up on top of those rust rings and basically you have no brakes because the pads aren't touching any significant amount of rotor

The 100 series pad surface area is larger than the 80 series pad. If you are going back with the same size pads, a "used" rotor is not a big deal. When you stick 100 series pads on, they contact areas on the rotor where no pads have been. Depending on the age of the rotors you can have a very irregular surface. That is not conducive to pad life or stopping ability while the pads "wear funny" till the whole thing hits the rotor surface.

I was drafting this long explanation when Rick posted the short version. :D

makes perfect sense,
thanks
E

Phil,
You won't have to worry about those details if you PM C-Dan. He keeps all those pn's in his tiny little brain somehow. Mine's full of useful stuff like TCP/IP and kerberos and NETBUI.
-B-

04465-60151 :rolleyes:

'98-'01

"tiny little brain".....hmmmm. I've got his credit card info around here someplace.......... :flipoff2:

tiny little brain

Thanks -B-. No wonder he does not show up at the Mensa meetings. Still though, in it's own way, it is a remarkable tiny little brain. ;)

Bill

That it is....

;)

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12789;start=msg118908#msg118908 date=1078965427]

That it is....

;)

-B-

[/quote]

Too late...... :cheers:

Thanks for my new PENTAX Optio 430 RS digicam :flipoff2:

Oh 4.0 Megapixel, whatever what means :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom