Brake line tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engineer8000

CAPE FEAR ELECTRONICS
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Looking for recommendations for a good brake line flaring tool you have had experience with using.

Eastwood makes this tool. It comes with a 45 degree turret and you can buy a second turret that is 37 degrees that will make AN flares.

_p_2_p25304_6_2.jpg

Looking for recommendations for a good brake line flaring tool you have had experience with using.

I bought this one when I put a new/different master cyl on my 40, and had to re-do the lines. Worked like a champ, works in small spaces, no leaks. Does inverted/double flare.

Amazon product ASIN B06XPRVCPV

ive had this kit for a number of years, good price and you can do double and bubble flares

I've had several of the tool type linked by bigred for decades and I've come to hate them. The clamp bars always get a slight bow in them and then they won't hold the tubing.

I bought one of these at work to do 37°AN flares and it works better: McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/2691A14/ but I've not found the same tool to do 45° flares & double flares. To be honest I haven't looked very hard either.
2691a14p1-a03a-digital@2x_635941813140000000.png

Then I needed to make some 37° flares at home and I found one of these at a screaming deal: McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/2721A11/ They're known as a "Rolo-Flare" and it makes the best flares that I've ever seen. Unfortunately, also only know to have a 37° flare version.

2721a11p1-a03a-digital@2x_637008575059900853.png

For a couple up-coming projects I'm going to need to make a bunch of different flares, so I bought one of these hydraulic flaring tools off amazon. I have used it a little, but the jury is still out on it. Those flares that I've made with it a decent flares, but the Rolo-Flare has spoiled me.

81fz9KgvHWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I like the mastercool. Used it for many years. I take a countersink bit to gently smooth the internal edges of the brake line prior to flaring for a better looking flare.

Grobet makes a really slick tube deburring tool that does ID & OD at the same time. Takes a bit to find it on their page, but I've used one at a previous employer's shop and it was very useful.
I use a 1/2" carbide 5 flute counter-sink held in a file handle to deburr the ID of the tubing.

Grobet makes a really slick tube deburring tool that does ID & OD at the same time. Takes a bit to find it on their page, but I've used one at a previous employer's shop and it was very useful.
I use a 1/2" carbide 5 flute counter-sink held in a file handle to deburr the ID of the tubing.
A pic and model number would be very nice...

There's a reason that I didn't do that. Last time it took me quite a while to find them. This time I got lucky.

They don't make one specifically for 3/16" tube, can adjust the 1/4" to work.

A tool for bending that my old mentor taught me to make. Use a remnant piece of metal of appropriate size and thread it for the particular tube nut threads that you're working with. You'll need to use a bottoming tap and you do not want to make the threads so deep that the nut bottoms out before the flare makes contact with the bottom of the threaded hole. Can use this as a "handle" to make really tight bends right at the rear of a tube nut. I use my thumb as the 'mandrel' to bend the tubing around.

What I've learned in bending literally miles of stainless tubing is that those "3 sizes in one" benders are nearly worthless and their bend radii are huge! Once you've used a Rigid, Imperial-Eastman, or similar single tube size bender you won't look back. They're expensive to collect, if you can get with a buddy to share so you don't have to buy all of the sizes that you'll need. For whatever reason my 5/16" Rigid cost almost as much as the 1/2" Rigid and far more than the 3/8" Rigid. For a long time I didn't have a 5/16" bender because the use/need didn't justify the cost.
One vendor, certainly not the only one, just whom I found easily since work's firewall wouldn't let me link I-E directly: Series 364FHA and 364FHB LEVER TYPE & SWIVEL HANDLE TUBE BENDERS Imperial® Tube Benders For Soft Copper, Aluminum and Thin-Walled Steel Mfg by Stride Tool Inc. - Newman Tools - https://www.newmantools.com/imperial/tb4.html
BTW, give the instructions that come with these benders a good looking at. They've been really helpful in bending tubing to a very specific fit need (tight to an inside wall, tight to an outside wall, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom