Harbor Freight Tool Boxes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Harbor Freight US General tool boxes. Essentially a Chinese knock off of a Snapon box for a fraction of the price.
Personal opinions on them? They generally have good reviews, but the negative reviews usually have to do with wheel failure. I have to get a rolling box for school in the next couple of months so I thought I would ask MUD first.
The box would not see heavy use in the school. Just a locking vessel that can roll around.

Since you're really not working out of it full time and not storing a couple 1000 pounds worth of tooling I'd be fine with a basic box.

We have over 40 years of Snap-On boxes, at least one from each generation since the early 80's. Maybe it's all I'm used too but after loading some of these drawers up with a few hundred pounds of tools each, the Snap-on products shows its advantage. It's especially noticeable when going in and out fetching tools every couple minutes.

The biggest difference in the snap on box over the last 15 years is it's ability to carry heavy weights and still feel light. I'm vertically challenged and the socket drawer is loaded and at chest height. In the older box it's a really pain but in the new box it's like butter.

For hobbiest or light use I wouldn't spend the money, unless I had cash to blow and just wanted a really nice kit.

For what you are using it for, you really can't go wrong with a 5 drawer roll around tool cart. I bought mine when they first came out, back in 2016 (maybe?). It has held up fine being used daily as a flat rate tech. The only thing that has not held up has been the lift struts for the lid. Wheels have held up great through the oil, coolant, etc. And for $150 when I bought it? No-brainer in my case. It isn't as nice as a Matco, Snap-On, Mac, etc...but it does what I bought it for. It rolls around, holds my tools, and locks them up. I added a side table to it when I bought it as well. Hope this helps...

20231201_113404.jpg

The main reason I’m considering Harbor Freight is due to cost(obviously).

I will not be buying HF tools.
It will only see about 1.5 years of light use at school. After I’m out of school I’ll be able to get a quality box, and, most airlines/repair facilities supply toolboxes/ tools now (generally either Snap-On or Sonic). It also needs to be a smaller box due to room at school and because a large chest is impractical for the amount of tools.

I have been looking at the used route however most people want way too much for a beat up toolbox.
Are you going to A&P school? I did that and worked airlines (major & regional) and GA. Happy to share my thoughts (via PM) on the job & industry if you’re going that route.

Virtually none of the major airline guys used Snap-On or Mac boxes. I saw a lot of those in GA tho, which was interesting considering they made significantly less than airline pay.

As a matter of fact the type of airline job you might have would dictate the size box you might want (some don’t even need a chest).

I got a new USA craftsman with ball-bearing slides in the early 90s, and made a few modifications (side boxes, heavy duty base & 300lb casters, stainless steel top) and it’s served me well for over 30 years at 2 airlines, 3 airports and two coasts. It’s now my main box at home.

I think the newer HF stuff looks decent for the money. I actually just picked up a single drawer service cart.

But my first choice in your position would be a used USA made box off Craigslist or FB marketplace. They rarely get beat up and people move, retire, or downsize all the time. My dad still uses the Kennedy he bought new when he started at United Airlines in 1963.

Last edited:
I have two of there 44" boxes or what ever they are close to that I have worked out of every day for over 10 years in my shop. This is when you could get them for about $369 each. I would not think twice about buying one. I hear the newer Icon boxes are even better.

I was in HF just today and finger f’d the series 3 boxes. For around 370$ or so I gotta say fairly impressed with those as a touch better that the series 2

Crap! They've got the Gen3 56" box for $100 cheaper than I paid a year and a half ago for my Gen2 56" box on sale! I've said elsewhere that I'm not sure the new features really mean anything to me, but I sure would have liked to have mine in Slate Gray (mine's just black).

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 2.56.09 PM.png

It does look like only white and green are available, though. I never quite understood why places would put things on sale that they couldn't keep in stock...

Bump.. did you pick one?
I did not, I waited too long and Harbor Freight discontinued the one I was going to get. I ended up buying a Craftsman from Lowe’s, “Made in the USA (from global materials)”. It will be fine for me through school, and it was cheap.

Noice. Have fun filling it up with money!

I'm late to the conversation and apologize.
Do you not get a discount from Snap-On thru the school? I ask because my son is taking a class in high school at the regional career and technology school and got a sweet discount. He has to order from a snap-on app, and it takes a couple weeks for the stuff to arrive. But he pays less than 1/2 price on most everything he orders.
I look at it like an investment for him, he is working on his A&P now, and even if he decides to do something else like college, he will have great tools that last a lifetime.

I'm late to the conversation and apologize.
Do you not get a discount from Snap-On thru the school? I ask because my son is taking a class in high school at the regional career and technology school and got a sweet discount. He has to order from a snap-on app, and it takes a couple weeks for the stuff to arrive. But he pays less than 1/2 price on most everything he orders.
I look at it like an investment for him, he is working on his A&P now, and even if he decides to do something else like college, he will have great tools that last a lifetime.
We get a discount from Snap On, I believe it’s about 40%. I have not used it yet but I intend to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom