Brake Booster R&R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hadn't thought about it until a couple weeks ago, but switching to the Disc brake rear axle means I should probably also switch to the correct master cylinder and booster. More parts to add to the list, but at least I know the booster won't be difficult to deal with.
I still cannot get over how clean your truck is. I've been working in my engine bay recently and the amount of oil from unattended leaks, dirt caught in that same oil and rust gets really discouraging at times.

My friend had the hard brake pedal issue and I was a little surprised to hear that the mechanic he took it to said it was the brake booster. Doing some research here a couple weeks ago, seems like a failing brake booster on the 80s is a pretty common thing.

I'd be curious to open a failed one up and see where the failure point is and if it's common across the board.

On RockAuto, the A1 Cardone part has a warning about checking for fuel in your vacuum (odor), and how that can cause pre-mature failure. Have any of you installed a filter in the Vacuum hose? I'm not sure if a typical fuel filter can be used in a vacuum setting? Recommendations on type of gasket material I'll need? Just fiber, I'm guessing?

So - does the fact that a lot of people are running around with a P0401 EGR issue related to the boosters going, or just that the materials used last 20 years!?
There is a filter in the vacuum system; it's on the top of the intake, at the front. I suspect the RockAuto notice is gratis from their lawyers.

I think I'm going to start rebuilding brake boosters

I hadn't thought about it until a couple weeks ago, but switching to the Disc brake rear axle means I should probably also switch to the correct master cylinder and booster. More parts to add to the list, but at least I know the booster won't be difficult to deal with.
I still cannot get over how clean your truck is. I've been working in my engine bay recently and the amount of oil from unattended leaks, dirt caught in that same oil and rust gets really discouraging at times.

And to think I have not had the time to wash it since my trip.:)

I think I'm going to start rebuilding brake boosters
There is a guy out there that does this. Bill or Bob or something like that. I wish I could remember because I would love to send him my OEM one. I have the one that Phil bought and it works just fine, but I am more than a little irritated that I didn't notice it was raw steel when I installed it and now it's starting to show signs of rust. I would prefer to put the OEM one back in and then use the Cardone one as a spare after I paint it.

There is a guy out there that does this. Bill or Bob or something like that. I wish I could remember because I would love to send him my OEM one. I have the one that Phil bought and it works just fine, but I am more than a little irritated that I didn't notice it was raw steel when I installed it and now it's starting to show signs of rust. I would prefer to put the OEM one back in and then use the Cardone one as a spare after I paint it.
Billy-Bob maybe?

Phil did you unbolt the left engine mount from the frame or did you just gently lift the engine?

Phil did you unbolt the left engine mount from the frame or did you just gently lift the engine?

Motor mounts on both sides, lifting from the center, and using a 100 series factory jack as seen in the 1st post.

Billy-Bob maybe?
Nah, it was a guy that someone here mentioned as being good with our boosters. There are other companies out there, most of them seem to be old guys that know how to do it but it was sort of a lost art when the aftermarket parts world started going off due to the internet.

I would pay to have that part rebuilt as I could see Toyota dropping it as their price isn't competitive.

Nah, it was a guy that someone here mentioned as being good with our boosters. There are other companies out there, most of them seem to be old guys that know how to do it but it was sort of a lost art when the aftermarket parts world started going off due to the internet.

I would pay to have that part rebuilt as I could see Toyota dropping it as their price isn't competitive.

FWIW Toyotas BB is brand new, all others I found were reman'd. I love OEM parts for the most part but at ~2½ times the cost of reman I could not pull the trigger.

For how dangerous it is to have this fail should it be seriously considered a PM item?

Why did you do that? I didn't need to do anything with my motor. There was a way to sneak it in without having an issue.

I would of definitely preferred it falling out but Im pretty comfortable having done 98.6% (I dont have an alignment rack at my shop) of all my own work for the last 45 years and on MY 80 it was not coming out without moving something.

If nothing else the tip might help the next guy with the same issue as mine.

FWIW Toyotas BB is brand new, all others I found were reman'd. I love OEM parts for the most part but at ~2½ times the cost of reman I could not pull the trigger.
Yeah, I know. I guess I don't see why having a reman unit is bad though. All it is, is the original sheetmetal or something really close and then new guts. I think the diaphragm is the part that sh!ts the bed, so as long as what you are putting back in is made out of the same or more modern stuff, I don't see how it would be bad as long as it works.

It's worth noting that I did buy one that came in with a bad diaphragm and I had to send it back. It was packed poorly though so I wouldn't be surprised if it got hammered during shipping and couldn't recover.

I thought the same thing when I was shopping, that's why I ended up going with the Cardone unit.

I would of definitely preferred it falling out but Im pretty comfortable having done 98.6% (I dont have an alignment rack at my shop) of all my own work for the last 45 years and on MY 80 it was not coming out without moving something.

If nothing else the tip might help the next guy with the same issue as mine.
I was just wondering. I read something about that when I did mine and I was not looking forward to doing that, but I didn't need to and it didn't seem like I should have. Mine is a '94. I wonder if the year matters?

Yeah, I know. I guess I don't see why having a reman unit is bad though. All it is, is the original sheetmetal or something really close and then new guts. I think the diaphragm is the part that sh!ts the bed, so as long as what you are putting back in is made out of the same or more modern stuff, I don't see how it would be bad as long as it works.

It's worth noting that I did buy one that came in with a bad diaphragm and I had to send it back. It was packed poorly though so I wouldn't be surprised if it got hammered during shipping and couldn't recover.

I thought the same thing when I was shopping, that's why I ended up going with the Cardone unit.

As Im sure you will agree a reman is only as good as the person doing it and the parts used. It all a crap shoot unless you did it yourself.

I was just wondering. I read something about that when I did mine and I was not looking forward to doing that, but I didn't need to and it didn't seem like I should have. Mine is a '94. I wonder if the year matters?

I agree having checked the book time prior, it was 3.5 hours and I took most of it but the quality of labor was second to none:D:flipoff2:

IMG_5884[1].JPG

As Im sure you will agree a reman is only as good as the person doing it and the parts used. It all a crap shoot unless you did it yourself.
Yes. That is why I was hoping I could shake a link out of someone that remembers who Bill or Bob was. :rolleyes:

I like the cut of this guy's job though. I might give him a whirl.

Ed Strain Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom