Brake bleeder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Will the Motive brake bleeder work on our 60-80 series trucks? Is there a better bleeder? Thanks, Mike

Or a reverse system pushing air to the master cylinder ?

I use a mityvac. It works well and was inexpensive.

I tried a motive and didn't like it, threw it in the bin, and got something along the lines of this, assuming you have shop air.

Brake and clutch fluid flush in about 10 minutes, should have bought it years ago.

If you don't have shop air, I think some of the mityvac models don't need air.

I have a motive (one that pressurizes the master cylinder). I have other vehicles where the master has a screw cap and the Motive works pretty good for that. With the fj60 I need to use the generic motive cap that has a flat gasket and a chain that loops under the cylinder and is tensioned to create a seal. This is a little fussy to get a good seal. I have had better luck replacing the chain with a metal rod.
I was bleeding brakes on my FJ60 before I got the motive and I have installed speed bleeders on all the bleed points (brakes and clutch). This is a good system for one man bleeding but it does require a lot of back and forth opening bleed valves then pumping the pedal.

The sp70852 looks good surprised it uses that much pressure.

I've never had a vacuum bleeder that worked. They all pulled air from around the threads of the bleed screw without drawing out bubbles from the lines. (It helps to grease the threads.) And they stunk up the shop with brake fluid mist.

Having a friend, wife, or child pump the pedal has worked best for me.

I've never had a vacuum bleeder that worked. They all pulled air from around the threads of the bleed screw without drawing out bubbles from the lines. (It helps to grease the threads.) And they stunk up the shop with brake fluid mist.

Having a friend, wife, or child pump the pedal has worked best for me.
Had the same experience with the vacuum bleeder this week. Frustrating. I am wondering if there is too much restriction on the system for the vacuum to pull the fluid through the master and also the lines. Do you think pushing/pumping the pedal while under vacuum would help? I found that very little to fluid was getting sucked through the lines, its like it was evacuating the brake cylinder cavity and then sucking air. I even removed the bleeder and greased the threads. I ran out of time and had to give up before trying the pedal pump while under vacuum, will be able to give it another go this weekend. If all else fails, I'll convince the neighbor to come pump the pedal.

I use a Motive cap with a garden type sprayer. The Motive cap I have locks on but I've also swapped out the FJ60 MCs for 4Runner or 80 series non-ABS MCs. Bleeding is as easy as pouring a quart of brake fluid into the sprayer, pump up a few PSI, doesn't take much and it's easy to apply too much pressure. Set up a line and bottle at one bleeder, crack it open and let the fluid flow, close it off, move to the next, etc.

I use a jam jar and a piece of rubber tubing. Add enough brake fluid to the jar so one end of the hose is submerged. Use a binder clip to keep the hose in place. Barely crack the bleeder screw and put the other end of the hose over it. It has to fit tight. Pump brake pedal a few times, refill master cylinder reservoir, repeat until fluid runs clear. Use a flare wrench to tighten the bleeder screw, then remove the hose.

Speed Bleeders also work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom