BP-51 noise, suspension <5k miles old (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I noticed this noise yesterday while driving over bumps, manhole covers and such. I think I’ve isolated it to the driver rear shock. Can’t be sure if it’s the top nut or something else. Install was done by a local shop.

I’m trying to upload the video but can’t figure it out... happy to text it to folks who would like to see/listen.

Noise is reproducible when standing on rear bumper and jumping, causing rear suspension to compress and rebound. Noise appears to originate at rear driver shock. Towards top maybe.

Uploaded to YouTube

Video is on my phone (210) 413 4994
Thanks,
-Chris

Last edited:
Quick update.
@Taco2Cruiser is a damn wizard, though you all already know it.
The shop that did the install put these above and below the rear shock bushing.
6D1FA10B-CB0A-4805-891E-C4CDB2A5773D.jpeg

Could you elaborate on your fix for this squeak?

Could you elaborate on your fix for this squeak?
The shop installed lip washers above and below the top shock mount bushing. The bottom lipped washer was creating metal on metal and I also suspect the nut wasn’t tightened well.

I hope that makes sense.

If not, I’m sure @Taco2Cruiser can explain far better.
-Chris

So I’ve had this same issue and identified it as the metal on metal, but haven’t been able to fix it. Based on the installation manual for the BP-51 rear, the shop installed those metal retaining washers correctly (even though it seems odd because it creates the metal on metal condition).

For my situation, I just assumed the top not wasn’t tightened enough to provide sufficient clamping force on the assembly which would prevent movement between the metal. I’ve tried tightening the top nut as much as I can but it hasn’t solved the problem.

Did you just remove the metal washers completely?

A131D0DD-3524-4F6A-88FC-8DEA14AADE67.png

So my BP-51 is being installed now. This thread has me confused. :hmm: Those "lip washers" are on the install instructions and part of the kit. Were they installed improperly somehow or is the metal to metal squeak a "feature" of the BP-51 shocks? What did you do to eliminate the squeak? If I need to do something different, now's my shot. Enlighten us please!

So my BP-51 is being installed now. This thread has me confused. :hmm: Those "lip washers" are on the install instructions and part of the kit. Were they installed improperly somehow or is the metal to metal squeak a "feature" of the BP-51 shocks? What did you do to eliminate the squeak? If I need to do something different, now's my shot. Enlighten us please!
The bottom lipped washers came out and the noise went away.
I suppose you could install them and see what happens.
Removing them after the fact was not a difficult task. You just need a 22m wrench, angled and self ratcheting to make life easier.

I ended up taking off the entire top washer/bushing assembly, cleaning off all the parts and contact points, then reassembling. I tightened the nut as much as I could but it’s challenging to get leverage on the wrench while also keeping the shaft of the shock from spinning. It’s only been one day, but it solved the squeak for now. Only time will tell if it is a persistent issue.

I had the same issue when I was running BP-51s. I ended up swapping them for King 2.5s. The Kings don't have the washers sandwiching the cross-member. I communicated this to the person on here that bought my BP-51s. In hindsight, I would try to buy the rubber bushings used on the King shocks that are made to contact the cross-member that the upper part of the shocks fasten to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom