Bora wheel spacers and locktite (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to install 1” Bora spacers and the instructions say not to use loctite or it’ll void the warranty.

What do you guys do?

I thought I read somewhere here that Spydertrax required red loctite and didn’t know if there was a specific reason for it. I understand some people are concerned about loosening but if it’s torqued correctly, shouldn’t be anything to worry about.
Just curious to know what the consensus was.

I used blue loctite on my last cruiser, and torqued the bolts to 100ft lbs

I did the same. Personally I would not run adapters without it because they can’t be visually checked with the wheel on. I had a failure on the interstate at speed due to the nuts working loose back in 2004. It was a cheap no name adapter but it still made a believer out of me.

I did the same. Personally I would not run adapters without it because they can’t be visually checked with the wheel on. I had a failure on the interstate at speed due to the nuts working loose back in 2004. It was a cheap no name adapter but it still made a believer out of me.
Same reason for me, I cant visually/hand check the nuts on the wheel spacer like what I do weekly or whenever I want on the wheel nuts. So for insurance I used loctite red.

I appreciate all the insight. I just put them on and took it for 5 mile drive on the interstate. I was needing to re-torque anyway so I think I’ll go with blue too. Little more peace of mind.

Do the lubricating properties of Loctite not concern you? I've been reading to account for ~20% increase in torque value when such a lubricant is applied to the threads. Would I be willing to only go to 80 ft-lbs with Loctite? Probably not, but I'm not sure I would go to 100 ft-lbs.

Do the lubricating properties of Loctite not concern you? I've been reading to account for ~20% increase in torque value when such a lubricant is applied to the threads. Would I be willing to only go to 80 ft-lbs with Loctite? Probably not, but I'm not sure I would go to 100 ft-lbs.

I used Loctite Blue 243. Supposed to be a little better adhering to metals with “oily” substances on them. I went ahead and tightened them to 100lbs. I guess I’ll find out how hard they are to remove when that time comes. I would most definitely not use Red Loctite though. Without heat, I’m sure it would be nearly impossible to break the nuts loose.

The instructions from Bora say that using loctite voids the warranty. I cleaned the surface well, and torqued then on at 100ftlbs, and rechecked after 1 day of driving.

FWIW, Spidertraxx spacers include red locktite to be used for install. I've seen many failures of spacers, so locktite seems to make good sense to me.

I'm trying to understand why loctite would void warranty, any engineers want to shed some light on this?

I did not use loctite when I installed my wheel spacers from BORA. Just torqued to 100 ft lbs. I've never had a spacers on anything before but I don't see why they would work loose any easier then your wheels. I've never had a single lug nut work loose on me in 22 years of driving so doesn't seem like much to work about.

I'm trying to understand why loctite would void warranty, any engineers want to shed some light on this?

Nothing jumps to mind. Maybe they're worried about the force it takes to break lugs loose if you do use threadlocker on them. Might be worth a call or email to ask them just to satisfy curiosity.

I got spacers about a week after a buddy of mine lost a wheel (at low speed luckily) because his spacer lugs backed off so I was kinda paranoid about it. I got the Spidertrax ones and I used the threadlocker they supplied. Been rolling smooth ever since.

no loctite, just torqued to fsm. maybe 10k on them with hard wheeling and changing AT sets with MTs sets on the regular and no problems.

None on my 1" Bora's on the 570, almost at 20k miles now. Didn't know that about the warranty. Never budge when I have happened to check. Set of 1.25" coming for the 470 this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom