Bora Spacer Failed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks. Looking for guidance here. I couldn't find anything remotely close to this issue. So it's well known that Bora spacers are at "top of the food chain" for 100/LX470. My 2000 LX470 drivers side spacer studs SNAPPED right off as I was pulling into my driveway, thank GOD!!!. Talked to Bora, they want me to send them in because they are still under warranty. I'm not sure if I want to put them back on. BTW, they where installed/torqued to Bora specs. What is everyone's thoughts???

20230905_063744.jpg

20230905_063736.jpg

20230905_062504.jpg

Most steel wheels aren’t compatible with spacers if the spacer is shorter than the OE lug studs. Do your steel wheels have “pockets” between the lug nut holes on the mounting surface?

Most steel wheels aren’t compatible with spacers if the spacer is shorter than the OE lug studs. Do your steel wheels have “pockets” between the lug nut holes on the mounting surface?
This.

My rock warrior wheels also could not use the factory lug nuts.

Since 4 lugs snapped I’m going with install or compatibility issue.

I can't speak for BORA as I'm about to install SpiderTrax but I was under the impression that steel and allow wheels had different torque specs (speaking of wheel to spacer, not spacer to truck) and that steel was 85-90lb/ft and alloys were over 100lb/ft. And 75-85ft/lbs for spacer to truck.

Sidenote: what's the date code on those BFG's? I haven't seen that shoulder design for a long time.

Edit: With your example, it definitely looks like the original stud extended beyond the spacer's mounting surface...

Last edited:
It looks to me that the wheel has never touched the front of the spacer. I could be wrong but it seems that the wheel was riding on the (Toyota) studs and not the face of the spacer. The original studs are also unlickely to be exactly equal length so your Bora studs would be working against that too. You are definitely lucky that you got home safe.

It looks to me that the wheel has never touched the front of the spacer. I could be wrong but it seems that the wheel was riding on the (Toyota) studs and not the face of the spacer. The original studs are also unlickely to be exactly equal length so your Bora studs would be working against that too. You are definitely lucky that you got home safe.
Another thought to confirm. Look at the back of your wheel and I'll bet you'll see 5 worn spots where the studs were hitting.

1694322714883.png

You can see that the studs are indeed too long. That spacer is not compatible with the 100, IMO. If BORA sold you those for the 100, I would triple check that it's the correct depth. It appears to be too short and that would put a lot of stress on the lugs and cause premature failure, I'm sure.

Eeek.

Are you able to take a side profile picture to see how far original studs stick out?

Can you measure how far studs stick out?

Are those 1” spacers? The most common size for spacers is 1.25” so the spacer is thicker than the original studs are long. Narrower spacers aren’t usually a problem since most (all?) OEM alloy LC wheels have pockets machined between the lugs to allow the extra stud length to pass through. Your steel Tundra wheels are not designed like that though.

I believe they are intended for the 100 just not for a steel wheel.
Well, I was looking for 1" because I thought 1.25" was too much and couldn't find any. While watching a Slee video on install I seem to remember the Tech saying 1.25" was the smallest available due to wheel stud length. (Although I do understand that alloy wheels sometimes have voids that would allow for stud clearance. And that I'm also conflating Bora and SpiderTrax data)

I think it's entirely possible that SpiderTrax doesn't offer a 1" spacer for 100 Series to avoid this exact scenario.

Well, I was looking for 1" because I thought 1.25" was too much and couldn't find any. While watching a Slee video on install I seem to remember the Tech saying 1.25" was the smallest available due to wheel stud length. (Although I do understand that alloy wheels sometimes have voids that would allow for stud clearance. And that I'm also conflating Bora and SpiderTrax data)

I think it's entirely possible that SpiderTrax doesn't offer a 1" spacer for 100 Series to avoid this exact scenario.
Could probably go 20mm or 3/4” with most OE alloy wheels. BORA is made by Motorsport Tech and they can custom make them for you… if that is something somebody wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom