Bolt on turbo kit (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my turbo is here and next up is finding the time to start on it. Quick question though about the turbo itself. I assume it’s fine or Borg wouldn’t have sent it out but this seems like an awful lot of material having been shaved off to get the fan balanced. Thoughts?

View attachment 2205085 T
Even though it looks like they took a lot of material to balance it. That material taken is very close to the center of the rotating mass. It would have taken a lot less material to balance at the perimeter of the fan blades, but I guess they don’t do it because it would off set the aerodynamics of the fan. PS: I am no engineer just an avid observer.

Last edited:
@spyduh just contacted me with an oil leak issues he’s having with the oil pressure line in the turbo. Turns out his hose has a failed crimp at the turbo end so oil drips out into the heat sleaving.

If you haven’t already noticed an oil leak issue you likely won’t but it’s good to know where the potential is. I carry plenty of extras of all components of the turbo kit for just these scenarios. A new hose is going out to him today. He should post up what he found.

I’d rather all folks are aware of any potential for component failure instead of hiding it.

Been a long day at my buddies shop doing my exhaust work. Its staying on the lift till Monday till we can order a new muffler. I'll post up pics and vid after dinner for the oil leak. Not a big deal since its just a hose. It failed at the crimp. Nothing a new hose won't solve. Joey's been awesome with the support on my rebuild and turbo install. Zero complaints. She sounds f!n amazing. See my build thread for the vid with revving sounds with cats only.

Edit...... See my build thread for oil leak vid.
Just a bad crimp easy fix. Builds - Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit)

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with PTP Turbo Blankets. My order (most of their orders actually) is being pushed back 2-3 weeks due to reduction/delay in supply of one of the materials needed for the downpipe blankets.
Any update from PTP?

I’d like to think that isn’t the case since they claim made in the us but...
That could be made or assembled in you ask but what is the deal comes from China being raw materials. U.s. Just doesn't make a lot of stuff like it used to back in the day.

Apparently the turbo didn’t meet expectations for @spyduh 😢
Yea its missing a Meth kit for more power. I want a full refund now. Haha:flipoff2::steer::grinpimp:

Seriously its so f' fast it aint funny. I chirped tires in 2nd gear at rolling speed. Let's just say I wasn't doing speed limit driving home. No im not telling you how fast I went and writing it down at least. I really need to becareful and take it easy so I don't get tickets.

It feels way faster than my old bone stock 2006 doublecab Tundra 4.7 v8.

I think I should have left my PT spool in there now.

:hmm: I do have my original tcase still. Maybe put the part time spool in that for summer fun.

It's really not that hard to swap tcase. No leaking gear or trans fluid. No sealing. Just bolts.

Hmmm.

Then I need to get me a spare set of wheels and cheap tires to burn.

Edit: Joey, does this kit come with a free set of tires? Cause I think I'm going to need a set very shortly.

Last edited:
Yea its missing a Meth kit for more power. I want a full refund now. Haha:flipoff2::steer::grinpimp:

Seriously its so f' fast it aint funny. I chirped tires in 2nd gear at rolling speed. Let's just say I wasn't doing speed limit driving home. No im not telling you how fast I went and writing it down at least. I really need to becareful and take it easy so I don't get tickets.

It feels way faster than my old bone stock 2006 doublecab Tundra 4.7 v8.

Dude, WOW!!! I like the sound of that. Would you mind updating your sig line so that we get a sense of your rig and weight please? Chirping the rear tires ain't no small feat.

I seriously think there'll be a new thread showing speeding tickets with the turbo. I didn't read your thread but did you do a dyno run pre-turbo? Sorry if you answered it already.

Dude, WOW!!! I like the sound of that. Would you mind updating your sig line so that we get a sense of your rig and weight please? Chirping the rear tires ain't no small feat.

I seriously think there'll be a new thread showing speeding tickets with the turbo. I didn't read your thread but did you do a dyno run pre-turbo? Sorry if you answered it already.
I'll update my Sig line later.

Essentially I have.
4x4 labs front and rear with 35 tire swing and 3 can carrier (no cans on). Random junkyard sliders (way heavier than 4x4labs sliders. Ive helped install 3 already). Iron Pig cross member armor. Gobi stealth rack and ladder. No 3rd row but I have a DIY 2 drawer full with tools and spares (2 drive shafts, 1 spindle, full set of wheel bearings, 2 birf and short shafts, 2 rear shafts, ARB elements fridge slide (slide is stupid heavy steel. no fridge, left inside garage). LRA AUX 24gal tank (empty). Main tank at 1/8 tank empty. On 315 BFG KM3 with 4.88s. OME J AND Ls with Airbags in the rear.

She's a fat pig with as much s*** as you can put on her. #almostfull

Edit: its also a fresh rebuilt motor. I have no idea what a new 1fzfe sounds like. But this is the smoothest land cruiser I ever heard. im guessing this is what a new 1fzfe would sound like (or almost new at least). Its also got a Transgo Shift kit in it to pair with the turbo.

Last edited:
I would never encourage such illicit activity on anyone installing my kits.

That being said...🤔

For something this important, may I recommend a major award?

6F3A166A-7D24-4DEB-AE09-00BE5B041F02.jpeg

One more thing. This thing gets squirrely in the corners when you punch it hard. Hence the chirp. It took me surprise the first time since I was not expecting it and the body roll that followed. I can assume that if one isn't use to handling a heavy lifted truck it can get out of "hand" really quick.

The 2nd and 3rd time was tamer because I was expecting it and got quite fun =)

One more thing. This thing gets squirrely in the corners when you punch it hard. Hence the chirp. It took me surprise the first time since I was not expecting it and the body roll that followed. I can assume that if one isn't use to handling a heavy lifted truck it can get out of "hand" really quick.

The 2nd and 3rd time was tamer because I was expecting it and got quite fun =)

SEMA's thoughts as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom