Bolt on turbo kit (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I have been spinning wrenches and getting ready for the goods to keep sane. Found a nasty bit of rust today so have that to deal with too. Never a dull moment.

Joey, keep throwing those punches. We are all very excited for the kits and have waited a long time for them, because we know you have put your heart and soul into it and they will be great because of it. :steer::flipoff2:

I’m sure others that have it will chime in but the only complaint has been the delivery time. I’ve received some really kind words about the kit. I’m proud of it. At the same time I’m looking forward to new stuff 😜
I have no complaints about delivery but I already have my kit :flipoff2:

I would have already shipped out ALL pending kits by the time you’re done 🤣😂🤣
Hahaha. Maybe. But mines going to be bad ass :steer:.

I always bite off more than I can chew and keep adding work for myself. I'm doing low range gears for the tcase at the same time and the transgo shift kit.

email sent. I am one guy who is not going to be too concerned about the delivery time. The later it shows up, the less I will stress about re-sealing my upper oil pan :eek:

email sent. I am one guy who is not going to be too concerned about the delivery time. The later it shows up, the less I will stress about re-sealing my upper oil pan :eek:
If you're dropping the upper sub pan. I recommend you ask Joey for the weld on turbo bung instead of the tap and screw hardware. I think I'm the only one so far that has went the weld on route versus the tap and FIPG route.

Yeah, he already sent me one. My oil pan is already drilled and tapped from my previous setup, but since I plan to pull the pan anyway (still cringing at the thought), I'm going to weld the bung in. My buddy bought a nice TIG a year ago and has been building an aluminum camper, so I think he's up to the job :eek:

Yeah, he already sent me one. My oil pan is already drilled and tapped from my previous setup, but since I plan to pull the pan anyway (still cringing at the thought), I'm going to weld the bung in. My buddy bought a nice TIG a year ago and has been building an aluminum camper, so I think he's up to the job :eek:

If you pull the motor it's much easier to pull the upper sub pan :flipoff2::clap::bounce::smokin:

Kill me now :eek:

If you're dropping the upper sub pan. I recommend you ask Joey for the weld on turbo bung instead of the tap and screw hardware. I think I'm the only one so far that has went the weld on route versus the tap and FIPG route.

Got mine welded on last week! 🍻

Edit - Yeehawww
FB798A86-7F66-44C3-8812-4DDC1F3D6997.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a list of pre-check qualifications posted somewhere to ensure you're Turbo ready? For instance, my head gasket was replaced a few years back and last I checked I had very good and consistent compression.

You are in a better place than most. Some haven't done headgaskets or even checked compression.

Is there a list of pre-check qualifications posted somewhere to ensure you're Turbo ready? For instance, my head gasket was replaced a few years back and last I checked I had very good and consistent compression.

Totally up to you. When I did my first turbo setup, I used the process described above (i.e. fawk it). It worked great! I have over 300k miles and oil leaking from pretty much everywhere. I had to top off the oil a little more than I would normally, but I also had some crankcase ventilation issues for a while, so that would make sense.

This time around, I'm trying to do most of my deferred maintenance before hand. Not because I think it's necessary, but because it will be easier to perform some of the jobs without having to partially dismantle the turbo kit in addition to all the other crap. And I think having a box of turbo goodness sitting in the garage will be good motivation to actually get the work done.

As Joey says, it's a good idea to make sure your cooling system is up to snuff (important), you don't have any oil leaks (less important). If you have good compression and leak down, I would say there is no reason whatsoever to change the HG, but this is mud, and you know how people are.

You are in a better place than most. Some haven't done headgaskets or even checked compression.
Yik
Totally up to you. When I did my first turbo setup, I used the process described above (i.e. fawk it). It worked great! I have over 300k miles and oil leaking from pretty much everywhere. I had to top off the oil a little more than I would normally, but I also had some crankcase ventilation issues for a while, so that would make sense.

This time around, I'm trying to do most of my deferred maintenance before hand. Not because I think it's necessary, but because it will be easier to perform some of the jobs without having to partially dismantle the turbo kit in addition to all the other crap. And I think having a box of turbo goodness sitting in the garage will be good motivation to actually get the work done.

As Joey says, it's a good idea to make sure your cooling system is up to snuff (important), you don't have any oil leaks (less important). If you have good compression and leak down, I would say there is no reason whatsoever to change the HG, but this is mud, and you know how people are.
Thanks for the feedback! The HG was dealer replaced about 60K ago so I'm good there. The front is leaking a bit of oil, probably the crank seal so I plan on fixing it. The wife approved a Turbo kit but I need to pay down some debt first. Hopefully the end of 2020 so I want to plan accordingly. I will miss my burrito tray terribly though...where's that replacement tray?

^^ Where there's a will there's a way ^^ #burritotrayredo

And I think having a box of turbo goodness sitting in the garage will be good motivation to actually get the work done.

The Turbo has motivated me to do the maint.

I say the most important thing to do with the Turbo is cooling maint.

I blew the heater bypass valve over two years ago on the freeway and was stuck in traffic for 3 minutes before I could safely pull over. Was not happy but I had it towed home and replaced it with a bypass hose and filled it up with water and tested it. No blown HG and it operated fine. I flushed the system and refilled it with coolant and it drove fine during normal driving for the past 2 years. no coolant loss. It however never was the same when I drove up mountain passes or when it was 100 degree outside and I was blasting the AC on idle. The obd2 torque app was at 227 to 231 degrees where before it stayed under 219.

During the 2 years I did everything to fix the high temps just like Joey did initially. 3row CRC rad, 2 different brand new thermostats, new water pump, 1 blue fan clutch (oem), 1 modded blue fan clutch (Wits End), HPS silicone heater hose kit, new heater valve, 4 coolant flushes with pen toyota red and pink, 12v aux 8" fan, new radiator oem cap, new AC condenser. All of this did not solve my cooling problems.

I'm hoping with this fresh rebuild fixes my cooling issues.

If he had 60k since last HG I would leave it alone and slap on the Turbo and do the cooling upgrades (new rad, thermostat, hoses, heater valve water pump and mod blue fan clutch).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom