Bolt on turbo kit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much by the battery box, but A LOT by the passenger side firewall. When I had my turbo on, I placed my air filter essentially where the passenger battery would go, and IAT was generally just a hair (10 degrees +/-) above outdoor ambient temperature.

Not much by the battery box, but A LOT by the passenger side firewall. When I had my turbo on, I placed my air filter essentially where the passenger battery would go, and IAT was generally just a hair (10 degrees +/-) above outdoor ambient temperature.

@NLXTACY can you speak to the underhood temps you saw with the turbo blanket driving along the highway? Not wanting to cut vents into my hood any time soon and starting to wonder more about that.

@NLXTACY can you speak to the underhood temps you saw with the turbo blanket driving along the highway? Not wanting to cut vents into my hood any time soon and starting to wonder more about that.

Not really. The plan was to rent a FLIR and test all of that once and for all, but...

Engine temps were unchanged before/after the turbo but mild ambient both in Flag and here at home.

Not really. The plan was to rent a FLIR and test all of that once and for all, but...

Engine temps were unchanged before/after the turbo but mild ambient both in Flag and here at home.
Do it! I love thermal cameras!

Was that according to the super accurate stock temp gauge? 😏

Was that according to the super accurate stock temp gauge? 😏

Well, some of us from the "old" days have modified the factory gauge to be super accurate using resistors and junk! Joey might be one of them old farts.

I removed that stupid mod. Hated it. Now it’s just ScanGauge.

Wow, you went in and unsoldered everything to put it back into stock? That's some serious state of annoyance right there

Wow, you went in and unsoldered everything to put it back into stock? That's some serious state of annoyance right there

Actually no. My instrument panel’s gauge stopped working a year or so later and I had to replace it (one board does both the gauges). I was happy to replace it because it meant tossing that stupid diode.

Actually no. My instrument panel’s gauge stopped working a year or so later and I had to replace it (one board does both the gauges). I was happy to replace it because it meant tossing that stupid diode.
Tell us how you really feel about it. :rofl:

Couple of updates before I head out for the week:

• I just placed the order for all of the wastegates I’m planning on for this run. TIAL agreed not to etch the distributor’s name on them so that of course...these will all be Wits’ End 😉

They will be shipping to me in under two weeks. Once they arrive they will be emblazoned and those are ready for the kit.

• PTP Turbo Blankets are almost done and will be shipping to me in 2 weeks. I ordered some Wits’ End blankets for the 35X Holset and the CT26 I had them make. Those will go on the shelf and added to the site.

• I will get the first batch of 10 turbos on May 20 😳

• I was told “no promises but...” some of the pipe pieces may also start coming off the line in less than two weeks. Now I’ve been asked about the finish on the INTAKE pipes. Right now I’m just leaning the brushed (vs polished) aluminum. But he said that they do a lot of wrinkle black powder coat and it does look kinda good 😉

I swear it’s just some black pipe 😳

C77EFE40-8F45-4F17-8681-8C9567AE7719.jpeg

Oh and I’m really glad I spent the time to do the new AC bracket for the turbo to pull the AC hose away from the J-Pipe.

On Test Mule #1, you know the one SEMA didn’t destroy, there was no modification made to the bracket. It was 3/8” away from the manifold and we just figured it was fine. AC wasn’t negatively affected.

Well a really long grade pulling 7psi the whole way, finally made the AC hose rupture right where it’s closest to the turbo manifold. Of course it’s lasted over a year and 14k miles, so...

The new bracket remedies this potential issue. But perhaps some extra heat wrap wouldn’t be a bad thing 🤔

3338ED26-DED0-40A7-99AA-FA0B98236F68.jpeg

yep, mine is still wrapped

20160525_113204-1-jpg.1263879

let me get this right, no intercooler?

let me get this right, no intercooler?

It’s been brought up a couple of times, and clearly stated on the Wits End sight. No intercooler at this time.

An intercooler only has moderate gains at this level of boost and the type of usage this application is expected to go through, and given the monstrously wide variety of aftermarket bumpers and winches used on these rigs, it’s going to be a difficult problem to resolve should anyone tackle putting a kit together for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom