Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm more than curious!
I was planning on keeping the 80 for life.
I have been driving company cars while Joey had my cruiser. But the 80 was my only personal vehicle for the last 5-6 years!
I'm glad everyone is ok in this unfortunate event, and hopeful like you said they will take care of you guys. Like any trainwreck our human instinct kicks and we want to watch. I know you as well as us want to know. The time is appropriate and to your discretion pics would be welcome. 80 's are tanks, That had to be bad. We've see some rough carnage around here over the years.

Anyway good luck with your next truck and adventure.

I'm gonna take my time till a really nice one comes along

Anything left of the custom billet radius arms?
haven't looked it over from a part out state of mind yet. the roof rack is the biggest bummer personally.

Damn! Sorry. Post pics when you can.
I'm gonna refrain from posting pics
and I don't want to side track this thread

BUT - There are arc burns all over the vehicle from the power lines dancing around. Including melted metal around the fuel door

I'm more than curious!
I was planning on keeping the 80 for life.
I have been driving company cars while Joey had my cruiser. But the 80 was my only personal vehicle for the last 5-6 years!

Oh man that stings! Sorry dude.
I feel the same way about my 450 and I’ve got a Charger Hellcat I daydream about letting my 5yo drive to school when she turns 16 😝

I had a running joke that since almost all her peers will be getting around in self-driving toasters by 2030 the Hellcat will make the boys too nervous to ask her out. Then a friend shot holes in that plan by pointing out the only ones brave enough would be the meathead jocks!

well technically I still have my 84 hilux but it hasn't moved under its own power for years. (I've owned it for 31 years)
friends are like "fix it up for your kids when they start to drive!"
they probably wouldn't be seen dead in the old beater. but I WILL insist that they learn to drive stick!

I actually did buy a car a couple weeks ago. And its a stick! maybe they will drive that. my boys are 10 and 3 years old now.

Truly suck for @DylanICON for the loss of the truck...very cool looking and for @NLXTACY getting so close to the finish line to have to start up again.

Oh man that stings! Sorry dude.
I feel the same way about my 450 and I’ve got a Charger Hellcat I daydream about letting my 5yo drive to school when she turns 16 😝

I had a running joke that since almost all her peers will be getting around in self-driving toasters by 2030 the Hellcat will make the boys too nervous to ask her out. Then a friend shot holes in that plan by pointing out the only ones brave enough would be the meathead jocks!
You need to turbo the 450!
then stand alone the computer and start dumping fuel and boost till its faster then the Hellcat! DO IT!

@DylanICON Sorry for your loss, buddy. Ill tell you this, your suspension is killer on these rigs. Its by far my favorite part of my lx. i am curious, though, what is it like driving joeys new turbo?

@DylanICON Sorry for your loss, buddy. Ill tell you this, your suspension is killer on these rigs. Its by far my favorite part of my lx. i am curious, though, what is it like driving joeys new turbo?

Glad you like the suspension!

Wish I could tell you...I never drove it.
I gave the Cruiser to Joey just before Christmas and hadn't seen it in person till I got back in town Saturday and the remains were towed to the parking lot at my work

Glad you like the suspension!

Wish I could tell you...I never drove it.
I gave the Cruiser to Joey just before Christmas and hadn't seen it in person till I got back in town Saturday and the remains were towed to the parking lot at my work

FWIW I try not to give customers back their vehicles in worse condition than I picked it up in :(

FWIW I try not to give customers back their vehicles in worse condition than I picked it up in :(
That's my motto too for just about everything......except ex girlfriends

the old saying "always return an ax sharper then when you barrowed it"

and i trusted you...but s*** happens

I am still up north, but when I get a load goin home, I will check with you @NLXTACY . I may have room on my trailer to bring a 80 to you if you find one in another state. Probably the PNW area since I am up in Maple Syrup land. Sorry to hear about all that has happened.

Dylan,

Thanks for all the help and support you gave this project! I was gutted when I heard that the truck was wrecked. At first I thought it was a joke.

I have seen the pictures and the damage is pretty incredible. Who ever was driving the 80 must have thought he was in a damn baja truck with the suspension and turbo power.

I am really sorry that it ended up with you losing your truck. Hopefully like you said SEMA garage will compensate you well and you can find something you really like and you have a clean slate to build whatever you want.

I was out of town in Moab UT when the accident happened. With the speed of communication and that the vehicle is recognizable, I found out right away as a couple of friends called the office.
My wife was able to get the vehicle released form impound while I was still out of town and it is now in my posesion
Joey and I looked everything over yesterday. luckily the turbo components we were worried about being damaged " appear " to be ok. My guess is the set back of the time table for the kit is not nearly as bad as it could have been given the situation, but Joey will have to determine that.
The 80 sustained WAY more damage when I saw it in person then I originally thought from the early pictures and very little is salvageable. I always joked that if I payed myself $5/hr to build and TIG weld the aluminum roof rack that I doubled the value of the vehicle. unfortunately it is totally junk. I was hoping to give it to a friend.
I have spoken to 2 of the higher ups at SEMA both of whom I have known for years. I have no doubt that SEMA will make sure that both Joey and myself are whole from the situation.

Lastly, a testament to the vehicle:
for 23 years there have been airbags, just siting there, waiting, till it was time to do their job, and they did. The driver was shaken but unharmed after sheering a power pole to the ground and it appears to have rolled too. There are also arc burns and holes all over it from the power lines that landed on it.
He is lucky to be alive (although unemployed I hope)

I am still up north, but when I get a load goin home, I will check with you @NLXTACY . I may have room on my trailer to bring a 80 to you if you find one in another state. Probably the PNW area since I am up in Maple Syrup land. Sorry to hear about all that has happened.

Thanks! I JUST talk to a guy in SC that has an excellent specimen. I’m evaluating my options vs needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom