Bolt on turbo kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sticker crisis adverted, Wits End praised for fast actions. Turbo stickers in hand. :p
Thanks

Been making good progress on my install. Did a ton of maintenance while the front end was apart. All new cooling system, all the typical oil seals replaced, new vacuum everything, new trans cooler lines, full tune up etc.

Now have the new manifolds on, J-pipe on, Oil peace pipe in place, oil drain in upper pan, vacuum tee and brake booster check valve installed, AC line relocated & heat wrapped and the downpipe wrapped in a fancy blanket.

Next step is to get the Turbo Oil fittings installed and then drop the turbo and downpipe into place.
D758B813-2271-44CB-9B6D-E1E1E8AFCAD6.jpeg
DAED92E0-F9F7-4F86-B39C-84349B7071D7.jpeg
7F1E636E-B023-42C6-9134-3BBF2B240048.jpeg
79693D52-73CA-4663-907B-F9A65B4F0ED7.jpeg

What about the transmission? Will it be more likely to stay in the overdrive gear, because the engine can handle more load at lower speed while it is climbing uphill on a freeway in the mountain?

Yes, you will generally stay one gear higher than you otherwise would in the mountains.

For instance, without the turbo, I leave it in second gear for the various big hills on I-70 (floyd hill, the tunnels, vail pass, etc). With turbo, the truck will comfortably hold third gear. For gentler hills that the truck would normally drop out of overdrive into 3rd, it will hold overdrive. The turbo is perfect for traversing I-70 through Colorado.

Been making good progress on my install. Did a ton of maintenance while the front end was apart. All new cooling system, all the typical oil seals replaced, new vacuum everything, new trans cooler lines, full tune up etc.

Now have the new manifolds on, J-pipe on, Oil peace pipe in place, oil drain in upper pan, vacuum tee and brake booster check valve installed, AC line relocated & heat wrapped and the downpipe wrapped in a fancy blanket.

Next step is to get the Turbo Oil fittings installed and then drop the turbo and downpipe into place.
View attachment 2239619

View attachment 2239619
Would you mind sharing some info on the aluminum radiator you have?

Thanks,

Mike

Would you mind sharing some info on the aluminum radiator you have?

Thanks,

Mike
Ron Davis Radiator...dessert racing pedigree. Not inexpensive, but pretty awesome.

Needed to make our own batch of 10AN oil drain weld-on fittings for the turbo

I previously ordered some off the shelf ones and their either used cheap alloy or didn’t machine correctly or didn’t deburr correctly. These are 6061-T6 and ready to be welded. I’ll throw them on the site shortly for those that are going the turbo route in the future.

62CA133D-F453-4455-BBE9-1D2242432AC6.jpeg

Do you have any concerns with the one you already mailed me, or should I go ahead and use it?

I could really use a turbo before coronavirus keeps me locked in my house for the next two months...

Well I'm on day 2 of corona/turbo install. Yesterday accomplished Spark Plugs, oil piece pipe, vacuum related stuff, cleaned exhaust manifolds, replaced all studs that were needed, and cleaned stuff. Today, removed exhaust, , turbo set up and waste gate, did first round of mocking up exhaust. Tomorrow disassemble and paint manifolds and various other stuff and start to figure how to mount AFR/BOOST gauge. Who new I could be so productive during lock down.

20200326_151212[3021].jpg

no

Well I'm on day 2 of corona/turbo install. Yesterday accomplished Spark Plugs, oil piece pipe, vacuum related stuff, cleaned exhaust manifolds, replaced all studs that were needed, and cleaned stuff. Today, removed exhaust, , turbo set up and waste gate, did first round of mocking up exhaust. Tomorrow disassemble and paint manifolds and various other stuff and start to figure how to mount AFR/BOOST gauge. Who new I could be so productive during lock down.

View attachment 2250244

Agreed, this CV-19 "staycation" is the perfect kick in the arse some of us need to get this project moving w/o getting yelled at by the other half!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom